2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimoire

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: 2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimo

Post by GnomeBoy »

You continue to kill me with how cool this game sounds. I will surely be un-dead by the time it releases, and thus be an NPC.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

GnomeBoy wrote:You continue to kill me with how cool this game sounds. I will surely be un-dead by the time it releases, and thus be an NPC.
Hopefully not. After this high-level playtest, I'm finalizing the content that will appear in the first book and then reviewing my options for release. Most likely this will be POD. Either through Lulu or DriveThruRPG or something.

There are only a few things that "feel weird" about the game now. And those are more along the lines of tweaking numbers here and there, as opposed to wholesale rewrites or trying to reconceptualize how a rule should work.

Gameplay is predictable and repeatable. But I do need to make sure the rule descriptions clearly cover the broader use cases. Hence the whole thing needs one more fairly significant run through. Unfortunately, I'm my own editor. Lol.

The goal is to have it in layout for the month of December. It will be the three book split discussed earlier.

This will be the player's book. Which is essentially the "alpha" that some have been reading and hopefully playing. There will probably be something along the lines of 4-6 months before the Hanging Judge's book is released. And then another 6-8 months before the spells are complete.

There are enough spells in DCC to get a Polymath to 8th level or so. I've verified that. And the Theorist isn't going to be released until the spellbook is. So TATG will exist as a low magic, high action, atmospheric romp until such time.

These will be books on par with the size of the old B/X rulebooks. The layout will be good. But the overall product will look very much like EARLY D&D products. Lotsa text. Lotsa charts. Maybe a dozen pieces of black and white art.

I don't have the cashola to do one of these swank rpgs with thousands of dollars of art with two page spreads of full color art. And honestly, would you all want to fork out $50 for a game that's a supplement to another game that costs $50?

While some may say "yes", early forays into the market suggest I'll sell enough to maybe make the following books something besides a vanity project. And I believe I'm tracking towards the right price point -- somewhere at or just above $20 a book. I'd like to go lower. But we'll see. I need to keep the "supplement" status of this product in mind. There's definitely a "cover charge" involved.

TATG seems to be a book that's garnered a lot of interest. And people enjoy playing it. It's resonated well with hardcore old school gamers, the younger crowd, inexperienced gamers and first time gamers. But it's a lot like Paranoia in its appeal. Meaning it seems to be a game people dust off around Halloween or when the mood strikes them. That's a little disappointing. But it allows me reassess how much I want to invest into the product line overall.

I wish I would've had more of an opportunity for a continuous campaign playtest. Mostly it's been focused on convention-style games, due to the nature of groups and chances I've personally received to get the game going. I think it will translate better than I currently imagine to campaign-style play. But even still.

There's a reason people typically play Call of Cthulhu every once in a while and go on long campaigns with some flavor of D&D. D&D struck some visceral chord in the collective human consciousness. I'd hoped TATG might do the same, but it appears that it instead hits the same sort of vein (see what I did there?) that games like CoC, World of Darkness, Chill and other games have before it.

That's probably more due to the subject matter than anything else. It's kind of locked into this meme -- on purpose. I think it does just enough to break out of the "expected" game experience from other games in a similar genre. But the gravitational pull of those tropes still hampers its viability as "game of choice" -- which almost always is D&D.

It has emerged with some gamers above games like CoC as the "game of choice for when I want to play this sort of roleplaying". I think it's validating that some players are preferring it to, say, CoC, ToC and others. But still that seems to be the corner of the bookshelf where it will reside even though it is a VERY different play experience from CoC (beyond the 0-Level funnel of course).

The hope is that TATG will be laid out and released in some form early next year.

And it will very much be like DCC RPG...

except THIS GAME will go up...

to ELEVEN!
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

Since most of the content is done, and its set for editing and layout - have you thought about Kickstarting this to get the funding to go the last steps? That would also definitely allow you to understand the market appeal for the project. (And apologies if you already addressed that upthread, I don't recall seeing anything about it.)
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

SavageRobby wrote:Since most of the content is done, and its set for editing and layout - have you thought about Kickstarting this to get the funding to go the last steps? That would also definitely allow you to understand the market appeal for the project. (And apologies if you already addressed that upthread, I don't recall seeing anything about it.)
Hi Robby:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've gone back-and-forth on Kickstarter for a while. My first concern is that I don't feel I have a lot of "extras" that many people offer for various levels of commitment. 50% of the issue with the art is also artists. There have been a couple who have signed on and they've done a good job. But I've been in contact with easily a dozen artists. So if I raise money for more art, it might extend delivery on the book while I try to locate artists willing to do the work.

I admit that having more cashflow would help spur some artists' interest in the book.

So, I don't know... I have no problem going the Kickstarter route. But what do I do for all the extras?
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

There are a couple of ways to approach extras.

One way is to look at additional content you wanted to add (a bonus class? additional setting material?), and use that as bonus content. Maybe additional adventures. A hardcover option, etc.

But that requires extra writing. Another option is simpler, based on what you've already got. Don't you have multiple books planned? If so, one way might be to Kickstart just the initial book, and use the other books as stretch goal add-ons. If you get enough to fund the extra books, great. If not, you could Kickstart those later.

A final option (which I don't recommend, based on watching a lot of other projects struggle with these, but is worth a mention) are tertiary extras like dice, dice bags, pins, DM screens, etc. Some people really like these, many people don't, and a lot of projects have struggled with ordering, receiving and shipping these extras on time.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

SavageRobby wrote:There are a couple of ways to approach extras.

One way is to look at additional content you wanted to add (a bonus class? additional setting material?), and use that as bonus content. Maybe additional adventures. A hardcover option, etc.

But that requires extra writing. Another option is simpler, based on what you've already got. Don't you have multiple books planned? If so, one way might be to Kickstart just the initial book, and use the other books as stretch goal add-ons. If you get enough to fund the extra books, great. If not, you could Kickstart those later.

A final option (which I don't recommend, based on watching a lot of other projects struggle with these, but is worth a mention) are tertiary extras like dice, dice bags, pins, DM screens, etc. Some people really like these, many people don't, and a lot of projects have struggled with ordering, receiving and shipping these extras on time.
Thanks again for the info, Robby. This is definitely something I'd like to take offline for further discussion. Do you think you'll be available for a chat after Thanksgiving?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Posted to my blog: http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/1 ... anian.html
Thanks for putting that together, RCK. Just as a side note, one of the reasons I'd wanted to keep the new mechanics on the hush-hush was because I knew a number of them might change during playtest. I mean, if we posted the rules for Shock/Fear that are in the alpha, they wouldn't be anything like they are now. And there are a lot of little rules that have either been removed or altered significantly.

There's also the more selfish reason for the hush-hush on the rules chapter. Mostly that those rule changes are so minor (in most cases) that they could be posted in a blogpost and then no one would buy the book.

Did you get a chance to run some playtests? I'm about a third of the way from completing the original Castle Ravenloft with a party of 8th level characters.

I wound up creating two new Fumble charts, which will make fumbles more interesting (and less armor dependent). Also just finished up the gothic-themed Mercurial Magic table for the third book.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have done some playtesting, but, frankly not as much as I'd like. Pretty much limited to the excellent adventure you provided. That was enough that I know this product is on my "waiting for eagerly" list. I have yet to design my own adventures for TA, though, which is a limiting factor. Partly this is because I have commitments for materials for the core line of DCC that are taking up a lot of my time these days.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

That's cool. I haven't heard much from the other guys either -- which makes me concerned that TA is one of those books that people will buy and leave up on their shelf. :(

We'll see.

Thus far, TA plays very well. It's an easy pickup game. Runs quickly. I'd say even more quickly than DCC because spellcasters are more rare and because of what goes down with the multiple action dice. Just like DCC, there are lots of charts. But I've gotten it down to where I reference charts somewhere around half a dozen times per game. Which speeds things up as well. And, no, I don't have any of the charts memorized.

There seems to be enough emergent play going on (with the charts and such that will be appearing in the second book) that I think it would lend itself well to a campaign. But it's hard to get campaigns kicked off in the holiday season.

If you wanted to write some adventures for it, I'd be down with that. You might want to wait until the second book is closer to being finished though. The monsters in TATG are pretty wild. And you wouldn't want to miss out on the Frankenmonkeys.

:D
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Trust me on this, this book will not just sit on my shelf. Even if my mainline campaign would not be TA/TG, I have fully embraced the Appendix N concept of allowing characters to adventure/come from multiple planes. I just haven't had a chance to pen any adventures for the system yet, and my old Ravenloft material is sadly boxed away. But I have been revisiting the old Hammer films for when I do get the chance. Some of that horror aesthetic has no doubt crept into my other work as well..... :twisted:
SoBH pbp:

smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Trust me on this, this book will not just sit on my shelf. Even if my mainline campaign would not be TA/TG, I have fully embraced the Appendix N concept of allowing characters to adventure/come from multiple planes. I just haven't had a chance to pen any adventures for the system yet, and my old Ravenloft material is sadly boxed away. But I have been revisiting the old Hammer films for when I do get the chance. Some of that horror aesthetic has no doubt crept into my other work as well..... :twisted:
Cool.

I think there's a lot of gaming potential in TATG. Just using the In-Between Adventure stuff (which will be appearing in book 2) at the end of an adventure will give Judges and groups volumes of interesting stuff to play with. Not to mention the Investigation charts (also appearing in book 2).

That scene where two of the players noticed they were being watched and tried to chase down the spy, only to have the spy (a triple amputee on a cart) catch a nice downhill run and get away?

All that was just rolling on the Investigation chart.

The entire first session could've been ad-libbed off just the first round of results from the chart. Even getting what you want from it tends to lead to something else to do.

I think stuff like that leads toward more replay value. Others' mileage surely varies.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Happy Holidays everyone.

It's been a crazy, crazy year for me. In the past 15 months, I've had to change jobs three times. There's been 4 deaths in my extended family. 2 close friends of the family also passed. On top of that, I've been keeping up with parenting duties and generally trying to be a good husband and father.

And I've also had to undergo physical therapy for a shoulder injury.

Like I said. Crazy.

Despite all that, I'm happy to say that the first volume (Transylvanian Adventures) is in the midst of proofreading and editing. I have a slight rewrite to do of the 0-Level adventure and one small appendix on the films, books and rpgs that inspired this supplement.

It's looking to go into layout next month. With a release as soon as I can get the art finalized and Joseph's approval.

The first book (Transylvanian Adventures) will include:

I: Introduction
II: Rule Enhancements
III: 0-Level Adventurers
IV: Character Classes
V: A Brief Chapter on Magic
VI: Equipment and Wealth
VII: Sample Adventure - “Horror on Starkweather Mountain”
VIII: Inspirations

...and come in at somewhere between 125-175 pages.

The second book will be a "GM's Book" titled The Hanging Judge's Guide to Transylvania (thanks, Raven_Crowking). It will include...

The Setting of Transylvania
Campaigning in Transylvania
Hexmap of Transylvania
Monsters
Adversaries
Skills Chapter
Research & Investigation
In Between Adventures Charts
Random NPC Charts
Random Name Charts
Combat Events Tables
Overview of the Flow of a game of TATG
Maybe a 1st level adventure.

Depending on how it goes with the first book, the second book could be out 3-6 months later. (Roughly June or July 2013). It will weigh in at over 200 pages easy. Maybe 250 pages or more.

When the manuscript goes to layout, I'll start previewing the chapters of the first book. And generally being a good marketing type of person.

Thanks again for all your support and interest in TATG.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

smathis wrote:Like I said. Crazy.
Hopefully some of that Crazy will be alleviated by strangers throwing you wads of digital money.

I fully intend to be standing in that line, virtual iWallet open, sprinkling money made of 0s and 1s over you like a tween in his first strip club.

...(Yes, I'm metaphorically calling you a stripper.) :shock:
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
smathis wrote:Like I said. Crazy.
Hopefully some of that Crazy will be alleviated by strangers throwing you wads of digital money.

I fully intend to be standing in that line, virtual iWallet open, sprinkling money made of 0s and 1s over you like a tween in his first strip club.

...(Yes, I'm metaphorically calling you a stripper.) :shock:
Bwahahahahahahahahahaa.

That made my week. Thanks.

Too funny.

Not sure how much cash this will bring. Breaking even would be nice. I still need to talk with Robby about the kick starter thing.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Well, here's to 2013, then!

*clinks glass*

Don't worry, Klink won't notice I stole his glass at all, because I stole his monocle, too...

And Shultz knows noth-ing...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

smathis wrote:Not sure how much cash this will bring. Breaking even would be nice. I still need to talk with Robby about the kick starter thing.
FWIW, I'm off and home the whole week of Xmas, although we might head to San Antonio to watch the Longhorns get whopped in person. :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You'll be making money off me!
SoBH pbp:

smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

An update. I've been busy proofreading and editing the past short while. Currently, the first three chapters of Transylvanian Adventures are through the editing process. Status as of yesterday.

I: Introduction (Ready for Layout)
II: Rule Enhancements (Ready for Layout)
III: 0-Level Adventurers (Ready for Layout)
IV: Character Classes (Proofread, halfway done with edits)
V: A Brief Chapter on Magic (Proofread, awaiting edits)
VI: Equipment and Wealth (Proofread, awaiting edits)
VII: Sample Adventure - “Horror on Starkweather Mountain” (Proofread, awaiting edits)
VIII: Inspirations (Putting together, not a big holdup)

As for Book Two...

The Setting of Transylvania (Needs proofreading)
Campaigning in Transylvania (Needs another draft)
Hexmap of Transylvania (Needs another draft)
Monsters (Writing 2/3 done)
Adversaries (Writing 1/3 done)
Skills Chapter (Needs proofreading)
Research & Investigation (Needs proofreading)
In Between Adventures Charts (Needs proofreading)
Random NPC Charts (Done)
Random Name Charts (Done)
Combat Events Tables (Needs proofreading)
Overview of the Flow of a game of TATG (Kind of an example of play chapter, needs to be written)
Maybe a 1st level adventure (Needs to be written)

So things are coming along. For those who had access to the alpha...
  • Fear rules have been drastically rewritten. New approach works better in play.
  • Due to feedback on the alpha, the 0-Level adventure map has been reworked. There are now 3 (maybe 4) paths through the adventure instead of 2. I'd expect the character mortality rate to go up slightly but not a whole lot. The adversary in the final room will probably be tougher to defeat.
  • A few class abilities have been altered slightly based on high-level playtesting. Not a huge deal. Most of the DCs have been downgraded a bit. Heroes still heroic -- maybe a little moreso -- but nothing crazy.
  • An 11th level has been added to all character classes.
I hope you can't wait. When this thing goes to layout, I'll start showing some of it off.

Did I mention that Transylvanian Adventures goes up to eleven?
Deadstop
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Deadstop »

To what degree will it be possible to play TA using the first book? The character classes do sound awesome, but it looks like the vaunted investigation/research and downtime rules won't be along until book 2.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

smathis wrote:Did I mention that Transylvanian Adventures goes up to eleven?
I'm sure Nigel Tufnel will be very proud. :D
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Deadstop wrote:To what degree will it be possible to play TA using the first book? The character classes do sound awesome, but it looks like the vaunted investigation/research and downtime rules won't be along until book 2.
This is a great question.

The first book will feature every class except the Theorist. It will also feature every rules tweak/hack one would need to play in a game of TATG.

The real, gaping void in having only the first book is the absence of magic. Which won't be along until book 3. But one could use just the first book to:

...play in a high-action, low magic game set in the late 19th century.

...play in a Lost World type of campaign using existing DCC adventures.

...play in a low-magic sword & sorcery campaign.

...play in a full-bore fantasy campaign or 19th century gonzo campaign by using existing DCC spells with the Polymath character class.

Book 2...

...allows groups to use Transylvania as a campaign world

...introduces adversaries and monsters that will put a spin on playing TATG. The new monsters,IMO, really differentiate TATG from other RPGs.

...offers several resources that will enhance emergent play. Hopefully, these will enhance replayability.

Book 3 is all spells all the time. And the Theorist.

Mostly what I feel is missed are the Monsters and Spells. The extra charts are great and a lot of fun. But even when they're out, I think some groups are going to play without them.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
smathis wrote:Did I mention that Transylvanian Adventures goes up to eleven?
I'm sure Nigel Tufnel will be very proud. :D
Wait until he sees the cover!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

smathis wrote:Wait until he sees the cover!
How much more black could it be?

The answer is none. None more black.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Deadstop wrote:To what degree will it be possible to play TA using the first book? The character classes do sound awesome, but it looks like the vaunted investigation/research and downtime rules won't be along until book 2.
I've been giving this a LOT of thought over the holidays.

Initially, I felt it would be beneficial to have all the "player's" stuff in the first book and all the "Judge's" stuff in the second book. But I'm concerned that TA might not translate well without some of these items.

Is there room (in your hearts and minds) for a Judge's section in the first book? Maybe one that contains the Skills chapter, Research and Investigation and maybe In-Between Adventures? There's room in the book, for sure.

But I'm wondering if it makes sense to have those items in there.

With Adversaries, Monsters and the Hexmaps, book 2 is going to be very big.

Does it make sense to move some of those chapters slated for book 2 back into book 1? I guess my thinking is that the Skills stuff is a rules enhancement that really makes the game play more like the source material. And all the Research and In-Between stuff just makes the game more emergent and fun. And is there any case where a Judge would buy book 2 and not buy book 1?

What are your thoughts? I guess I'm looking for a justification to (re)include those chapters into TA. As a Judge's section.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”