Zines and OGL

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BGilkison
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Yottaquest

Zines and OGL

Post by BGilkison »

I'm curious how zines function in regards to the OGL and DCC. Specifically, I'm beginning work on some new patrons, and summoning a creature might be one of the patron spells. Said creature has been published in a DCC source (specifically a Gen Con program guide) and it has DCC stats—does that mean it is covered by the OGL? I don't know if it can be considered product identity—it's a creature from the Lovecraft mythos—but are stat lines PI? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Zines and OGL

Post by GnomeBoy »

Why not re-invent the wheel? You might put a different spin on it!

I believe there are elements of Lovecraft that are out of copyright at this point -- but I have no idea which bits they are...

As for the OGL, I think stats are open, but names and 'story' elements and are not. But don't quote me on that, it's hard to find a consistent answer...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

Materials published under the OGL should specify exactly what is "product identity" and what is "open content". If material is not designated open content I would assume that it is not and contact the author/publisher for permission to use it.

You could just say "see Creature Y in Goodman Games Gen Con Program Guide X for details" but that would be frustrating for readers.
Murlynd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Murlynd »

The great majority of the creatures named by Lovecraft are open by now, hence all the Cthulhu games about these days. So, I would use the name of the creature and describe it as you see fit, with the description as it manifested there at that time, without regard to its appearance in any other module or game. I think that approach would be in keeping with the goals of Dungeon Crawl and Lovecraft too.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”