Upcoming playtests of DCC RPG

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for posting of actual play of DCC RPG. Not necessarily rules questions/discussion, but the saga of your adventures and campaigns, details of adventures that played particularly well (or not), and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Upcoming playtests of DCC RPG

Post by finarvyn »

Ogrepuppy wrote:I just wanna know when I might be allowed to get on board for playtesting the thing, you know?
I agree with you here! I've been interested in the DCC RPG ever since I first heard of it. Goodman products so far have been outstanding and I'm anxious to give this a playtest if any openings pop up.

EDIT: Fixed the quote (I hope)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Some official details coming soon. Getting close.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Thanks for the encouraging news, Joseph!

Can't wait! :)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

What Ogrepuppy said! :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Not the announcement we are hoping for, but I'll be running a number of DCC playtests at Genghis Con, February 17 to February 20. With a little luck, Black Blade Publishing will also be in present.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Harley Stroh wrote:Not the announcement we are hoping for, but I'll be running a number of DCC playtests at Genghis Con, February 17 to February 20. With a little luck, Black Blade Publishing will also be in present.

//H

To quote Harley from another thread, "Accursed Black Blade and their wild travel budgets." :lol:

TacoJon, I'm expecting a detailed analysis, photos, and diagrams regarding this top secret project! :wink:
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

A few links for those who are interested in Rob Conley's playtest at ErieCon in PA...

http://beyondtheblackgate.blogspot.com/ ... s-rpg.html

http://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2010/ ... art-i.html
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

JediOre wrote: TacoJon, I'm expecting a detailed analysis, photos, and diagrams regarding this top secret project! :wink:
Ah ... we have a mole in our midst. ;)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:A few links for those who are interested in Rob Conley's playtest at ErieCon in PA...
Some interesting reading, and suddenly I wish I lived closer to Erie, PA. (I did visit Erie once for my wife's family reunion, but not the same time as a game con.) Everything I've seen and/or read about Rob would indicate that he runs a great game, and I wish I'd been there for that one!

Seriously, while some folks say there are too many "old school philosophy" style games out there, I say there is always room for one which is well written and well supported and I suspect the DCC RPG will be both. If you look at the games out there, only Castles & Crusadesis being given big-time game company support. (I don't mean to bash Brave Halfling, Goblinoid Games, or other companies who are trying to support S&W, LL, and other products, but they aren't as big as Goodman Games!) I'm hoping that the DCC RPG will be big enough so that if I drop by my local Barnes & Noble Booksellers I would see copies on the shelf. Now that would be cool! 8)

Any playtests scheduled in the Chicagoland area?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

finarvyn wrote:Any playtests scheduled in the Chicagoland area?
We'll be at GaryCon again next year - about 90 minutes north of Chicago in Lake Geneva. www.garycon.com
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Any playtests scheduled in the Chicagoland area?
We'll be at GaryCon again next year - about 90 minutes north of Chicago in Lake Geneva. http://www.garycon.com
Ah, GaryCon ... I keep telling myself I need to go, then somehow I never make it. This should put me over the top to get it done! :)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GaryCon is beyond my abilities currently. I'll just monitor the boards. . . 8)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I'm really looking forward to running some playtests GaryCon. Sort of a pilgrimage to the east.

//H

Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

I'm not going to be at any upcoming conventions that aren't already mentioned here, but anyone who is in or passing through the NYC area is encouraged to let me know so we can schedule a playtest locally!
Co-author: Forgotten Heroes: Fist, Fang, and Song and Scythe and Shroud; Heroes' Handbook: Eladrin; and two finished Goodman projects that haven't been announced yet, with others on the drawing board!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Tavis wrote:I'm not going to be at any upcoming conventions that aren't already mentioned here, but anyone who is in or passing through the NYC area is encouraged to let me know so we can schedule a playtest locally!
Ditto for anyone near or passing through Kentucky. Running this game is starting to become addictive.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
cr0m
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by cr0m »

I'm one of the administrators for Red Box Vancouver and we'd love to get on the list of play-testers for this game, if and when you're ready to release it to a wider circle of testers.

Like New York Red Box, we're committed to running old school games in public, and have been carrying on a Basic D&D campaign for almost two years now. We've got between 10-20 regular players, approximately 3-4 active DMs and play almost weekly at a local cafe. We also have a semi-regular science fantasy game (Planet Algol). (Links to our sites in my sig!)

Hope we can get involved!

cr0m
Red Box Vancouver: We play old school D&D!
And Planet Algol. We also have a Blog.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

There will definitely be a public playtest edition. At this point the playtests are deliberate and focused on specific aspects of the rules that need examination. For example, the crit rules have changed quite a bit over the last couple months. But once the "baseline" is set, many people will be involved... :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
cr0m
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by cr0m »

Great! By the way, sorry about the duplicate post elsewhere on the forums. I didn't realize posts had to be approved by a moderator and re-posted, thinking that there'd been some kind of internet glitch. :oops:
Red Box Vancouver: We play old school D&D!
And Planet Algol. We also have a Blog.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

cr0m wrote:I'm one of the administrators for Red Box Vancouver and we'd love to get on the list of play-testers for this game, if and when you're ready to release it to a wider circle of testers.

Like New York Red Box, we're committed to running old school games in public, and have been carrying on a Basic D&D campaign for almost two years now. We've got between 10-20 regular players, approximately 3-4 active DMs and play almost weekly at a local cafe. We also have a semi-regular science fantasy game (Planet Algol). (Links to our sites in my sig!)

Hope we can get involved!

cr0m
Awesome! Welcome aboard, cr0m!

//H

Drumheller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Drumheller »

The RPG club I organize, Dead Gamers Society and our local gamestore, DiceHouse Games in Fullerton hosted Joe's DCC playtest in October. For many of the playtesters, it was a introduction to "old school" style of roleplaying. It was a good time and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Drumheller wrote:The RPG club I organize, Dead Gamers Society and our local gamestore, DiceHouse Games in Fullerton hosted Joe's DCC playtest in October. For many of the playtesters, it was a introduction to "old school" style of roleplaying. It was a good time and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
Played in the game. DCC looks like it'll be fun.
What do you mean no?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Drumheller wrote:The RPG club I organize, Dead Gamers Society and our local gamestore, DiceHouse Games in Fullerton hosted Joe's DCC playtest in October. For many of the playtesters, it was a introduction to "old school" style of roleplaying. It was a good time and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
This is a great point. I suspect that quite a few of today's gamers have never really played any "old school" style games. The entire philosophy and style is so different than many of the current games, and I'm sure it wil be quite different from what they typically play.

Care to tell us what they particularly liked or disliked about the experience?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

There will be a playtest happening Saturday, Jan 8 at 1pm at Amazing Wonders in Lexington KY if anyone wants to come by!

Amazing Wonders
148 W Tiverton Way, Ste. 150
Lexington KY 40503
(859) 272 0750
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

mythfish wrote:There will be a playtest happening Saturday, Jan 8 at 1pm at Amazing Wonders in Lexington KY if anyone wants to come by!
I f only you could get a transporter lock on me, add me to your pattern buffers and beam me there Saturday.

:(
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:If only you could get a transporter lock on me, add me to your pattern buffers and beam me there Saturday.
:(
I thoroughly appreciate the world of the mind that Ogrepuppy lives in -- I'll be moving there as soon as practical...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Actual Play Reports”