what you really like at first glance

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Any feedback that doesn't fit into the categories above.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

what you really like at first glance

Post by Kruvil »

What I really like just by paging through the beta is the art, which really jumps out at me, and page 4. I realize that What is Roleplaying? is a staple of new RPGs but I like page 4 much more!

I'd like to hear what jumps out immediately to other judges. Things you really want Joseph to keep, that help make the game feel like the DCC RPG, etc.
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: what you really like at first glance

Post by Kruvil »

Cthulhu as a god for clerics is great.

Alignment and the struggle of the gods really matter is also great. I like the C-N-L only alignments.
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

Cthulhu as Neutral is strange, if not wrong. I mean, Cthulhu has cultists by definition! I think it should be made Chaotic.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Kruvil wrote:Cthulhu as a god for clerics is great.
I was extremely pleased to see the Cuddly Squamous One mentioned quite boldly. :D
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

Perhaps I am the only one...by I absolutely don't like Peter Mullen's art. I know it's going to stay there, and I am usually not a sucker for such things, but it really rubs me the wrong way... :(
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

rabindranath72 wrote:Cthulhu as Neutral is strange, if not wrong. I mean, Cthulhu has cultists by definition! I think it should be made Chaotic.
Doesn't Chaosium (do they still exist) scream bloody murder if any RPG tries to use Cthulhu's name?
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Kruvil »

rabindranath72 wrote:Perhaps I am the only one...by I absolutely don't like Peter Mullen's art. I know it's going to stay there, and I am usually not a sucker for such things, but it really rubs me the wrong way... :(
It has a cartoon feel to it, but his work on page 6 is pretty great in my opinion.
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Kruvil »

jmucchiello wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:Cthulhu as Neutral is strange, if not wrong. I mean, Cthulhu has cultists by definition! I think it should be made Chaotic.
Doesn't Chaosium (do they still exist) scream bloody murder if any RPG tries to use Cthulhu's name?
Chaosium exists and is making a comeback. Cthulhu is open to anyone to use as far as I can tell (Pathfinder uses the name for example).
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Kruvil wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:
Chaosium exists and is making a comeback. Cthulhu is open to anyone to use as far as I can tell (Pathfinder uses the name for example).
They use to be lawsuit happy thinking they had exclusive rights to the name.

And I agree, mullen does nothing for me.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Cthulhu (the deity) may be neutral while his cultists may be chaotic. I know that the standard convention is that follower alignment is the same as deity alignment, but this might be a clear exception to the rule. Cthulhu and other Lovecraftian "old ones" were notorious for not noticing humans much and not really caring what they were up to, which sounds pretty neutral to me. On the other hand, the cultists may do bizarre and horrible things in an attempt to attract the attention of an otherwise indifferent Cthulhu.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Kruvil wrote:What I really like just by paging through the beta is the art
My experience is a little unusual since I saw the rules early on, so no rules really leaped off the page at me.

When I opened up the Beta PDF in two-page mode and could see how the layout would look in an actual printed book, the artwork and layout really spoke to me.

I thought it was cool without art, much cooler with art! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

finarvyn wrote:On the other hand, the cultists may do bizarre and horrible things in an attempt to attract the attention of an otherwise indifferent Cthulhu.
That's how I took it too. Cthulhu is neutral for two reasons. (1) He's indifferent, by that same reasoning "Crom" would be Neutral -- which fits. (2) He existed before Law and Chaos. So he's part of whatever was there before Gods and Demons. Maybe he just dreamt them all into being.

And I think Cthulhu being Neutral gives us a great example of the darker side of Neutral deities.

I'll admit it threw me at first too. But once I thought about it, it made more sense to me.

As for first glance, I liked MDoAs better than I thought I would. I liked Luck a lot more too. I'm itching to read more of the GM section. I was very happy with the scaled back attribute bonuses.
islan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by islan »

I am absolutely loving the art. Like the notion of Deeds, but question why it is limited to fighters; it pretty much says that other classes can't do cool creative stuff. Any possibility other characters can do their own Deeds, just maybe without getting to do damage while they do so?
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

One thing that bugs me about the art is the spot art pieces on some of the heavy chart pages. They don't work for me. The joke in the middle of the thief page is great but the little nothing drawings at the bottom of some the spells that only take up half of the whitespace don't work at all.
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

I think the intent is clearly to encourage all players to do cool things.

The difference is that warriors do it within combat. A warrior might make an attack roll and try to knock a foe down at the same time as a MDoA... potentially dealing a weapon strike + knocking down the monster. A thief would use his action to try to knock down the monster instead of attacking.
islan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by islan »

I also love that they made a skill system with a set scale, instead of the rather broken scale system in 3e/4e.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

islan wrote: it pretty much says that other classes can't do cool creative stuff.
Remember that Thieves and Halflings can burn Luck - and not just in combat.
Sean Wills
Michael Pfaff
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Michael Pfaff »

I really love the tone of the writing. Very conversational and it's written as if the audience is already experienced roleplayers (which, in most cases, they will be). I like that Goodman Games has taken this approach. It seems they know their target audience, aren't trying to please everyone, and are taking that to heart and hitting those aspects hard.

Love it.

Also, the art is fucking incredible.
xredmenacex
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by xredmenacex »

Just wanted to say that I LOVE the artwork. It looks old school and awesome. I feel like I would want to buy the rules in print form whether I end up playing them or not because of the great artwork included. Now to find time to actually read the rules...
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

finarvyn wrote:Cthulhu (the deity) may be neutral while his cultists may be chaotic. I know that the standard convention is that follower alignment is the same as deity alignment, but this might be a clear exception to the rule. Cthulhu and other Lovecraftian "old ones" were notorious for not noticing humans much and not really caring what they were up to, which sounds pretty neutral to me. On the other hand, the cultists may do bizarre and horrible things in an attempt to attract the attention of an otherwise indifferent Cthulhu.
In the book there are references to chaotic clerics as "cultists" (it's also a level title.) So referring to Cthulhu's clerics as "cultists" is misleading.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Level titles have always been dumb. Why is a neutral dwarf an Apprentice but lawful dwarf is a Rebel? What makes a level 5 neutral warrior a chieftain? Who are his people?
QuentinTheTroll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by QuentinTheTroll »

jmucchiello wrote:Level titles have always been dumb. Why is a neutral dwarf an Apprentice but lawful dwarf is a Rebel? What makes a level 5 neutral warrior a chieftain? Who are his people?
Wrong. Level titles are awesome, cultural and brilliant. A very vague, yet evocative moniker which indicates a characters local renown (and level) is a hard thing to pull off.

I used to think the endless level titles were poorly positioned and misused (if used) in the old days (esp. since "rolling up a 5th level" whatever was commonplace, depending on what module was being played), but, in light of Funnelling and the requirement to start at zero, it is pretty obvious that any rare character with a level monicker has freakin' earned it.
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

What I REALLY liked at first glance--

The clerics and "patron" rules for mages. I know they've been around the board now for a while, but actually reading them and getting them makes these two really, really cool.

Combat and the Warrior--the MDoA and BONUS TO INITIATIVE!

0 level characters

What I disliked--

The homages and references to other, older games. I'm planning on running DCC RPG for people who have never played D&D before, and I don't want to have to explain that certains things are there because "that's what D&D did." I want DCC to be it's own game.
muherd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by muherd »

What I really liked at first glance

1) A goal of fast, evocative combat.
2) Unique rules that encourage storytelling.
3) Charts galore!
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

I really liked the fact that there wasn't anything I disliked.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Other”