Un-dead vs. Undead nitpick

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Any feedback that doesn't fit into the categories above.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

sirkerry
Ill-Fated Peasant

Un-dead vs. Undead nitpick

Post by sirkerry »

I noticed in several places (particularly the cleric turning rules) the term un-dead is used instead of undead. For some reason this bothers me.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Un-dead vs. Undead nitpick

Post by goodmangames »

When I first read it in an Appendix N book originally published in the 1930's, it bothered me too. Then I realized that most of the published references to "un-dead" that actually appear in Appendix N is spelled that way, with the dash. It's old-school, believe it or not.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

English has moved on. In fact just about every compound noun in English (e-mail, for example) starts out hyphenated. Then as people become accustomed to the new word, the hyphen disappears (email).
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I can't spell at all so I try to use spell check all the time. I can't think of a time that it said un-dead or e-mail instead of undead/email.

Just tried it both ways and spell check accepted both spellings. I learned something new. :D
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

I still write it as e-mail, but hey, I also write Internet with a capital I.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
QuentinTheTroll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by QuentinTheTroll »

Just for interest, I believe that the term "undead" and its definition was coined by Bram Stoker.

The Dead Un-Dead and The Un-Dead were two of the titles he considered for a little book that eventually saw publication as Dracula.

Well, technically, the word "undead" has been around since the 1400s, but it always meant "alive" in the conventional sense. In other words, if something wasn't dead, it was "undead." Usually, you would use it to say something like "we aren't going to get out of this alive" this way: "we certainly won't make it out of this undead."

But Stoker was the first to apply the weird word in the way we know it: as an apellation for the walking dead. So it is a new use barely more than a century old.

It amuses me that RPG characters in quasi-medieval settings refer so frequently to the "undead" as unholy, decrepit monsters when the term, in an actual late medieval setting, would have merely been reference to a lively neighbor!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

QuentinTheTroll wrote: It amuses me that RPG characters in quasi-medieval settings refer so frequently to the "undead" as unholy, decrepit monsters when the term, in an actual late medieval setting, would have merely been reference to a lively neighbor!
Well, it's only a quasi-medieval setting. Also most of us speaks his own language when playing, not old english, common, elf, orcis, klingon or whatever language his character speaks in the game.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
QuentinTheTroll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by QuentinTheTroll »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
QuentinTheTroll wrote: It amuses me that RPG characters in quasi-medieval settings refer so frequently to the "undead" as unholy, decrepit monsters when the term, in an actual late medieval setting, would have merely been reference to a lively neighbor!
Well, it's only a quasi-medieval setting. Also most of us speaks his own language when playing, not old english, common, elf, orcis, klingon or whatever language his character speaks in the game.
Amateurs.

I only judge in Anglo-Saxon, Quenya and Lapine. I expect anyone who plays with me to speak solely in Syldavian, Grammelot or any dialect of Kardashian (preferably Khloe).

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Other”