Target?

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Any feedback that doesn't fit into the categories above.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Target?

Post by talmor »

So, I seen numerous references to "experienced Judges" and the like--is that the true target audience for this game? Experienced gamers/GM's, esp. those who have played/play 0eD&D?

I ask because on the first read through, the writing seemed to make certain...assumptions about the audience that I'm not sure newer players (or those without an "old school" DM) would understand or be able to follow.
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Target?

Post by Kruvil »

Designed for experienced judges--it says so on page 4. I think this approach should be toned down a bit. I don't want a What is Roleplaying section but I think the game could be learned by less experienced players.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

I actually think part of the game's charm is that it is "advanced". Maybe that could be viewed as elitist (and maybe it is) but at my age, I've owned and played so many RPGs that I'm tired of games assuming someone is going to pick them up cold without being introduced to them by an experienced GM. Sure, I and others here taught themselves how to play D&D by actually reading the books back in the dark ages. But the hobby is so small these days, does that happen any more? Does anyone buy a D&D player's handbook (whatever the current edition or how essential it is) and just read it and attempt to play it without some form of sagely non-RPG-virgin to guide them?
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

jmucchiello wrote:Does anyone buy a D&D player's handbook (whatever the current edition or how essential it is) and just read it and attempt to play it without some form of sagely non-RPG-virgin to guide them?
Well, no. But, well, two things:

1) Isn't that somewhat depressing/worrisome?

2) In the past year or so, I have introduced several new players to roleplaying, and a few of them want to try running a game themselves. I'd like to see the game over them some support.

And, while I'm an "experienced" GM, I always have room to improve, and would like to see the DCC dungeon/adventure design theory laid out more so than they do in the modules.

Oh, and, no, I don't know any players who pick up D&D PHB and want to learn the game/run it. I HAVE seen them pick up other games off the shelf and want to read or run them--Pathfinder, Mutants & Masterminds, Call of Cthulhu, etc...
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I played D&D for several months before an "experienced" DM finally showed up (and it was his first time DMing, as he was the little brother of his DM.) and we played our first proper game of D&D... all I can say it was amazing, and if it wasn't for him we would have kept playing it wrong. And how we played was really funny. Tacks on a piece of graph paper, etc...
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

talmor wrote:So, I seen numerous references to "experienced Judges" and the like--is that the true target audience for this game? Experienced gamers/GM's, esp. those who have played/play 0eD&D?
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 947#p29947
goodmangames wrote:The good news is that the target audience for this product is me, so I'm comfortable declaring the core audience will still be satisfied. :) Seriously, though,...

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Other”