Can we have a sample of a "new" spell?

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to spell tables, mercurial magic, patron magic, corruption and deity disapproval, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Can we have a sample of a "new" spell?

Post by bholmes4 »

Just curious (with the delay) if we could have a sample of what a new spell looks like with spell-specific corruption and what-not?

Doesn't even have to be a spell we haven't seen. Show us an updated Rope Trick or Magic Missile or something. I just want to know how it looks so I can start creating similar spells for my game while I wait.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Can we have a sample of a "new" spell?

Post by finarvyn »

bholmes4 wrote:Doesn't even have to be a spell we haven't seen. Show us an updated Rope Trick or Magic Missile or something. I just want to know how it looks so I can start creating similar spells for my game while I wait.
I'll check with Joseph to see if I can share one of those. My thinking is that there won't be a problem, but he still may want to shake things out in playtest before they become general knowledge...
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Here are a couple examples of the updated spell tables...

http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ ... 091011.pdf

Note: this is the raw manuscript -- not spell checked or edited.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

goodmangames wrote:Here are a couple examples of the updated spell tables...

http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ ... 091011.pdf

Note: this is the raw manuscript -- not spell checked or edited.
I like the mishap tables, and the spell-specific corruption tables. Nice! But what is "minor" and "major" corruption?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

dunbruha wrote:I like the mishap tables, and the spell-specific corruption tables. Nice! But what is "minor" and "major" corruption?
In the beta rules there was one generic corruption table. Now there are three generic corruption tables with varying levels of impact. Most spells have their own unique corruption results but occasionally there are also references to the generic tables.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

goodmangames wrote:
dunbruha wrote:I like the mishap tables, and the spell-specific corruption tables. Nice! But what is "minor" and "major" corruption?
In the beta rules there was one generic corruption table. Now there are three generic corruption tables with varying levels of impact. Most spells have their own unique corruption results but occasionally there are also references to the generic tables.
Cool. I hope most of the spells have corruption that is tailored to the nature of the spell, though.

I would like to add that I think it is awesome that you have made these changes. IMO, the game will be so much better!
Eldric IV
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eldric IV »

One thing I really liked about 3rd edition D&D was that high numbers were always better.

Could we get that with these spells as well? In particular, I reference the mishaps where 1 is a minor physical appearance change but 8 is a greater corruption. People really "get it" when high is good and low is bad.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Thanks a lot for doing this. I definitely like this new system better.
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

Eldric IV wrote:One thing I really liked about 3rd edition D&D was that high numbers were always better.

Could we get that with these spells as well? In particular, I reference the mishaps where 1 is a minor physical appearance change but 8 is a greater corruption. People really "get it" when high is good and low is bad.
+d100
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Spells and Magic”