Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:07 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Posts: 108
How exactly can a warrior cast a spell? From the beta document, I notice the following:

Quote:
Spell checks by other classes: Foolish warriors have been known to read magical scrolls in dangerous attempts to wield magic. A warrior, thief, or other character untrained in magic may attempt to cast a spell from magical instructions he encounters. Characters of untrained classes roll 1d10 for their spell check instead of 1d20, and they do not add any modifier for an ability score or caster level.


But it takes a 12 or higher to cast a spell, and that's just for a first level spell. How exactly, do you roll a 12 on a D10? Don't get me wrong, I have a player who can do just that, but let's ignore him for the moment. :-)

The only way I see is to burn luck. Maybe a warrior in a last ditch situation could do this, but he's most likely better off burning luck for some other action, an attack roll or something. If the goal is to keep warriors from attempting spells, why have this mechanic at all? I suppose you could burn all your luck to try and cast charm person on the barmaid, or attempt to teleport away from Asmodeus or something. Is the design goal for just these rare and last ditch situations? If so, that's cool, I'm just interested in the design goal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:34 pm 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:46 pm
Posts: 2310
Location: Left Coast, USA
What if the warrior is the only party member left standing and there is no one else to read the scroll that will banish evil from the world? I'd burn Luck to do that...

_________________
Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:57 pm 
Offline
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 779
JRR wrote:
How exactly can a warrior cast a spell? From the beta document, I notice the following:

He has a 16+ Int and rolls a 10 on the d10.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Posts: 108
jmucchiello wrote:
JRR wrote:
How exactly can a warrior cast a spell? From the beta document, I notice the following:

He has a 16+ Int and rolls a 10 on the d10.



Characters of untrained classes roll 1d10 for their spell check instead of 1d20, and they do not add any modifier for an ability score or caster level.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:52 pm 
Offline
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 779
JRR wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:
JRR wrote:
How exactly can a warrior cast a spell? From the beta document, I notice the following:

He has a 16+ Int and rolls a 10 on the d10.



Characters of untrained classes roll 1d10 for their spell check instead of 1d20, and they do not add any modifier for an ability score or caster level.

Ahh. Missed that bit. So did the designer, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:40 am 
Offline
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm
Posts: 1086
JRR wrote:
The only way I see is to burn luck. Maybe a warrior in a last ditch situation could do this, but he's most likely better off burning luck for some other action, an attack roll or something.


Could Warriors use Spellburn? That would kind of make sense then. Otherwise, you got me. I have no idea how they'd do it outside of spending lots and lots of luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 am 
Offline
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 357
Warrior : "Damn, we're out of luck!I burned all i had and it's just worth +6!"
Dwarf : "Squeeze the bloody halfling! SQUEEZE HIM!"
*SQUEEZE*
Warrior : "...Hey! It worked!! we're on +12 now!!"

*messed halfling crawls away in the background* :lol:

_________________
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:18 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:09 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Italy
jmucchiello wrote:
Ahh. Missed that bit. So did the designer, I'm sure.

Unless 10 on d10 is a sure hit, like 20 on d20.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:03 pm 
Offline
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 779
Hamel™ wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:
Ahh. Missed that bit. So did the designer, I'm sure.

Unless 10 on d10 is a sure hit, like 20 on d20.

Inconsistent with two weapon fighting. And spells don't "hit", they have variable effects based on the sum of the die and all modifiers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:12 am 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:09 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Italy
jmucchiello wrote:
Inconsistent with two weapon fighting. And spells don't "hit", they have variable effects based on the sum of the die and all modifiers.

Spells don't hit in a classic way, but they do as written on page 92: 20 is a critical, 1 is always a failure.
Unless racism against the d10, the same should apply with it (otherwise it's a design error).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:24 pm 
Offline
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 779
Hamel™ wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:
Inconsistent with two weapon fighting. And spells don't "hit", they have variable effects based on the sum of the die and all modifiers.

Spells don't hit in a classic way, but they do as written on page 92: 20 is a critical, 1 is always a failure.
Unless racism against the d10, the same should apply with it (otherwise it's a design error).

No, if you attack with a d16 with two weapon fighting, a 16 is not a crit. It is not a design error or dicism. If you don't roll a d20, you can't crit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:09 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Italy
jmucchiello wrote:
No, if you attack with a d16 with two weapon fighting, a 16 is not a crit. It is not a design error or dicism. If you don't roll a d20, you can't crit.

I don't care a damn of TWF, because I've never talked about it (and I've never said 10 is a critical).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:38 pm 
Offline
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 779
What does a sure hit do on a spell? A first level spell fails from 1-11, needing as 12 or better. A fifth level spell needs a 20+ to succeed (1-19 fail). So can a fighter rolling a 10 on d10 auto-succeed on both a 1st and 5th level spell? Also, spells have varying levels of success, if he really wants the 16-17 result does the 10 still auto-hit?

Automatic success does not make sense for spells.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warriors casting spells
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:34 am 
Offline
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 357
jmucchiello wrote:
What does a sure hit do on a spell? A first level spell fails from 1-11, needing as 12 or better. A fifth level spell needs a 20+ to succeed (1-19 fail). So can a fighter rolling a 10 on d10 auto-succeed on both a 1st and 5th level spell? Also, spells have varying levels of success, if he really wants the 16-17 result does the 10 still auto-hit?

Automatic success does not make sense for spells.


I could see a dwarf wasting 10 scrolls of Wish, and eventually saying "whooo-ooo!!!" :P

_________________
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group