Typos and such

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to spell tables, mercurial magic, patron magic, corruption and deity disapproval, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Typos and such

Post by mythfish »

Already found one that slipped through...

The general information for "Runic Alphabet, Mortal":
Subtract -2 from the spell check to trace the run in mid-air; -4 to trace the run invisibly;
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Typos and such

Post by finarvyn »

Damn. :(

Well, my spellchecker wouldn't have caught that one and I guess my eyes blipped right over it.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

finarvyn wrote:Damn. :(

Well, my spellchecker wouldn't have caught that one and I guess my eyes blipped right over it.
Don't worry Fin, it seems the text is surprisingly typo-free (I have yet to find one, and I have a really good eye for these things due to my job.)
I have found a missing space between two words, though (can't recall where, sorry!)
Anyway, it's much better than any final texts produced by at least two companies! (one starts with T, the other with M :wink: )
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

I'm asleep still... so pardon if this is wrong... but I think a wording problem from rules changes between version of beta that I pointed out in the first pdf is still there in a modified form. Spell Duel example - round 2... the impetus dice of one of the mages was being lowered and now it is not, but it is being raised from a 9 to a 10... (I think the other references to it being lowered were fixed but it shouldn't ever be a 9 then).
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

rabindranath72 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Damn. :(

Don't worry Fin, it seems the text is surprisingly typo-free (I have yet to find one, and I have a really good eye for these things due to my job.)
I have found a missing space between two words, though (can't recall where, sorry!)
Anyway, it's much better than any final texts produced by at least two companies! (one starts with T, the other with M :wink: )
Thanks. I have poor vision anyway and the intense reading session I went through with the pre-Beta really wiped me out. I was just kinda hoping to be perfect, that's all, since I know that folks really pounce on silly typos....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

rabindranath72 wrote:I have found a missing space between two words, though (can't recall where, sorry!)
I saw one in the Elf...uhh..."class"....description. Pg. 43, Under Supernatural Patrons.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Thanks for the catches everyone. For every typo, one minion shall be thrown into the Great Pit and sacrificed to the Editorial Gods! Who wants to go first??
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Well, hell, if I get sacrificed to the Great Cthulhu then count me as the first volunteer...!!!
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

goodmangames wrote:Thanks for the catches everyone. For every typo, one minion shall be thrown into the Great Pit and sacrificed to the Editorial Gods! Who wants to go first??
:lol:
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Page 23

"...boxes for “same” (same alignment) or “adjacent” or “opposed” (based on alignment squares, as noted above)...."

Sorry to be thick,but I don't see any squares being formed with just Chaotic, Neutral and Lawful. Don't you mean "triangle"?

Page 24

"...In a man’s brief time on earth, he chooses one antipode, and in doing so plays his tiny part in the eternal struggle...."

I love the word "antipode", being an antipodean myself, but since it means "the direct opposite", I suspect this is the wrong word in this context. Unless I've misinterpreted what the sentence is all about.

Page 34

"...Wizards thus inculcate their preferred magicks, lest they err in..."

Again, I love the word "inculcate", but I'm not sure it make full grammatical sense here. Should it not be, "...Wizards thus inculcate their preferred magicks into their minds, lest they err in..."?

Page 43

"...the spells patron bond and invoke patron at 1stlevel in addition to his other spells..."

Missing space between "1st" and "level".

Page 56

"10,000 cp = 1,000 sp = 100 gp = 10 ep = 1 pp"

The way the tab spacing is set, it looks like there is no space between "=" and "10 ep"

Page 68

Crit Table I, Row 4

"Strike to foe’s kneecap. Inflict +1d4 damage with this strike and and the foe suffers a -10’penalty to speed until healed."

There are two "and" together.

Sorry that's as far as I have gotten.

I agree that this is refreshingly typo free and a testament to the professionalism of GG. Compared to M. Publishing, it's a breath of fresh air.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

I think this falls into the category of "& such."

The spell duel section makes reference to "spell loss", but we aren't told what that is until 10 pages later.

As a point of logic, I think the section on spell duels should be in the magic section, placed after the mercurial magic table on what is now pg.96

I found it to be terribly confusing, so I thought others might as well... :)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Typos that I've bumped into (and not noticed mentioned elsewhere):

pg 92: Italics on "If" messed up.

pg 101: roll 4 - "lamed" is a transitive verb, whereas "lame" is an adjective (as are the other words in the string; i.e. blind, sickly, etc.).

pf 101: roll 8 - "mediate" should be "meditate".

pg 140: "...more than one way..." The word "one" is missing.

pg 144: "...the calm of the deep swamp..." The word "of" is missing.

pg 144: "...ankles joints..." The letter "s" is missing.

pg 147: "where is forced to read an text" It probably should have "he" before "is", and there is either a missing adjective to modify "text", or it should be an "a" not an "an".
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CEBrown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CEBrown »

I could have sworn I posted this but...

Clarification Requests:
Page 106, Chill Touch - use of "additional" seems potentially problematic, especially on items:
- 12-13 - Perhaps the damage part could be worded as "the next creature you attack takes 1d6 (or 1d6+2 if undead) cold damage, in addition to any damage your attack normally causes."
and
- 24-27 - "Additional 2d6 damage plus an additional 1d4 points of Strength loss" - Logically this is "absolute" and works just like 12-13. However, I could VERY EASILY see players arguing that this is in addition to the results on the table above it - i.e. that it means +3d6 damage and +2d4 Strength damage! Would suggest that you change the wording to: "Touch damage increases to 2d6, plus 1d4 points of Strength damage, which adds to any normal attack" - also, does this: still have the +2 vs undead, LOSE the +2 vs. undead, or have a different modifier that got "lost in editing"?

Page 107: Choking Fog - does ventilation or air flow (like the old Gust of Wind spells, natural phenomena or air-elemental type critters) have any effect upon this spell?

Page 114, Magic Shield, row 20-23: Parenthetical is awkward; I could see it being read as "ALL Missiles usually have no effect" OR "Magic Missiles are usually unaffected by this spell" - should be re-worded to remove ambiguity.

Layout/Formatting:
General: The "Save" row is not always consistently worded; sometimes it references a specific Save only with no "vs." other times it has "XXXX vs. check" and - though I can't find it now, I'm pretty sure there's a third wording there too.
Page 116, Patron Bond, Headers for the row above the Results, "When Cast on Self" is not bolded but When Cast on Other is - should be the same.

Typos:
Page 110 (Enlarge) 12-13 result row, last sentence has "similar" when it should have "similarly"
CEBrown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CEBrown »

A few more
Page 136, Second Sight General, last sentence: "In doing so you can insight..."
Should probably either be "...you can gain insight..." or just "...you gain insight..."

Page 132: Holy Sanctuary, result 32+ "retains repsects for" should be just "retains respect for"

Page 140, first paragraph, halfway through, "A supernatural display can be accomplished in more than way, one wizard..." should be: "A supernatural display can be accomplished in more than one way; one wizard..." I think - or maybe it should be a ":" instead of a ";".

Page 145, Glorious Mire, General: Last sentence says "...newly liquid foundation, and castles sink" then later says "...this spell can bring down castles." Suggest eliminating redundancy and replacing the first instance of "castles" with "structures" or "buildings"...
Also - can this spell directly target armor? If so, does the wearer get a save or does the armor automatically become slush?

Page 147, result 3 includes the line: "..where is forced to read an text..." - this clause should be taken out and shot - or at least have a few missing words inserted.
Arayis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arayis »

Turn Unholy pg. 81 (Quoted from the manual)
For example,
if a cleric were charged by a band of 1 HD skeletons
led by a 4 HD vampire commander, the player could designate whether he targets the skeletons or the vampire. If he targets the skeletons and rolls 19, he turns 1d4+CL of these lesser un-dead but does not affect the vampire. If he targets the vampire and his next check is 24, he turns 1d4+CL 4 HD creatures. If he rolls 5, that means he could turn the vampire and 4 of the skeletons.
The check result of 24 according to the chart on pg. 82 should indicate the cleric turns 1d3+CL 4 HD creatures & not 1d4+CL as stated above. Also, the result of 5 should be changed to a 4, that means he could turn the vampire and 3 of the skeletons not 4. I'm assuming the cleric is 1st level since he gets a +1 bonus to the check & no luck modifier is mentioned anywhere in the example. Might help to make things clearer by indicating the cleric's caster level in the example. :)

Hope this helps!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Stainless wrote:Compared to M. Publishing, it's a breath of fresh air.
That's not saying much. My 4 year old nephew can issue a document with better editing than "M. Publishing".

:twisted:

...I hope you have enough minions, Joseph!

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Spells and Magic”