Unique Spells... for clerics too!

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to spell tables, mercurial magic, patron magic, corruption and deity disapproval, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Unique Spells... for clerics too!

Post by abk108 »

I noticed that some lesser Gods tend to be also supernatural patrons, as for the Toad Demon, Bobubligbilibiz ( or what's his name :wink: ) in the Beta Rules.

Now, these entities have two different pacts with humans, as some adore and revere them faithfully, others just make a deal with them. I think that if a patron gives some unique spells to his wizards, should surely give the same advantage to his clerics! It also gives some flavour between Clerics of different faiths, as their "unique god spells" tend to be their trademark move.

I thought this to be logic because i was writing an adventure with some evil cultist and i felt that they needed some dark spell to cast, that the pgs didn't know about; this spell should be connected to their faith, Malotoch the Carrion Crow God, in this case, so i figure that it would be a unique spell granted by that God.

Here's the spell for anyone who cares.

Malotoch's Dark Summons :
12-13 - Summons a crow composed entirely of darkness that attacks the caster's foes for 1d4 rouns; the crow has +2 attack and deals 1d3 damage. The crow cannot be hit but dissolves if struck by fire.
14-17 - Summons 1d3 crows for 1d6 rounds.
18-19 - Crows' attack bonus is +3 and damage is 1d4.
20-23 - The crows prey on their victims: everytime they deal damage, the caster of this spell heals 1 HP
23-27 - Summons 1d4+CL crows 28-29 - Duration is 1d6+CL round
30-31 Att +4, damage 1d6, every successful attack heals 2 HP to the caster
32+ - Darkness feeds on itself. A new crow is summoned with every successful attack of a crow. A newly summoned crow cannot attack in the same round it is summoned. The duration of the spell doesn't change, therefore every crow disappears at the same time.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Unique Spells... for clerics too!

Post by Aplus »

I agree. Clerics should definitely be given unique spells based on their deity. The concept of cleric domains in the SRD is worth lifting, and I fully intend to use it in my games.

The cleric in my game has the fire domain, and as a result has access to some damage-dealing wizardish spells like burning hands and fireball. This is a very generic example, and your example spell is much cooler.

I recently picked up the 3.5 Book of Vile Darkness, which has a ton of cool ideas in there as well. For example there is a spell that allows a caster to see through a nearby zombie's eyes. It has a bunch of cool domains for those darker clerics, if that's your thing.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Unique Spells... for clerics too!

Post by abk108 »

Aplus wrote:I agree. Clerics should definitely be given unique spells based on their deity. The concept of cleric domains in the SRD is worth lifting, and I fully intend to use it in my games.

The cleric in my game has the fire domain, and as a result has access to some damage-dealing wizardish spells like burning hands and fireball. This is a very generic example, and your example spell is much cooler.

I recently picked up the 3.5 Book of Vile Darkness, which has a ton of cool ideas in there as well. For example there is a spell that allows a caster to see through a nearby zombie's eyes. It has a bunch of cool domains for those darker clerics, if that's your thing.
I wrote a Deity for my cleric as he was Chaotic (but still goodhearted) and wanted a war-ish deity. I wrote Llanixath, Demigod of Vengeance, Fury and Freedom. He had 1 unique spell (for now) which the cleric HAD to take: Furious Blades of Vengeance: you basically specify one opponent and gain combat bonuses (as bonus damage dice, attack bonus, crit on 19-20, better crit die/ table and so on, as results increase...) against that foe.

Btw, if you check here i wrote a fire patron for my wizard. It is complete with background, unique spells and taints. I'd like as much feedback as possible!
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 67&t=15901
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Spells and Magic”