Spell Duels: The New Grappling?

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to spell tables, mercurial magic, patron magic, corruption and deity disapproval, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Spell Duels: The New Grappling?

Post by GnomeBoy »

I am going to wash my mouth out for that title (sorry, Joe!), but...

Six pages to describe how this works? There seem to be a lot of die rolls to figure out what happens, too, and numbers to track and compare, all of which sounds like a scene slowing down. There's plenty I like about it (Galactic Whale Nostril, when will I randomly roll YOU? :mrgreen: ), but it seems overly complicated. There are nine steps -- nine! Actually there are technically MORE steps (duplicated steps) if you have more than two opponents acting at one time.

The idea that the bottom of the initiative is protected seems odd. I've always understood initiative to be circular. The way this reads is such that if I'm last in initiative and no spell duel has started, none is going to start when I cast... the first magic-user in the initiative can't counter me. I'm sort of guessing this is a slip in the writing of the rules for duels, but it makes my point. I think they may be overcomplicated (and on their way to being a separate game of their own, perhaps).

I fully admit I haven't played any spell duels. I hope it plays better than it reads.

I really do hope I'm wrong about this.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Spell Duels: The New Grappling?

Post by geordie racer »

GnomeBoy wrote:I am going to wash my mouth out for that title (sorry, Joe!), but...

Six pages to describe how this works? There seem to be a lot of die rolls to figure out what happens, too, and numbers to track and compare, all of which sounds like a scene slowing down. There's plenty I like about it (Galactic Whale Nostril, when will I randomly roll YOU? :mrgreen: ), but it seems overly complicated. There are nine steps -- nine! Actually there are technically MORE steps (duplicated steps) if you have more than two opponents acting at one time.

The idea that the bottom of the initiative is protected seems odd. I've always understood initiative to be circular. The way this reads is such that if I'm last in initiative and no spell duel has started, none is going to start when I cast... the first magic-user in the initiative can't counter me. I'm sort of guessing this is a slip in the writing of the rules for duels, but it makes my point. I think they may be overcomplicated (and on their way to being a separate game of their own, perhaps).

I fully admit I haven't played any spell duels. I hope it plays better than it reads.

I really do hope I'm wrong about this.
We played through a spell duel during a battle - four 5th Level wizards versus a 5th Level wizard and loads of skeletons. Everyone fired off 2 spells/round so there was a lot happening. I agree about the initiative, there does seem to be a loophole to exploit, the way it's written.

It is a mini-game, and in my view better for it - it feels special and dangerous. I especially like the momentum idea.
Sean Wills
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Sean, was there any moment of "now... where were we?" when the duel was over? We're people not part of the duel entertained by the duel? If so, did it seem like some thing they'd be entertained by on a regular basis?

I'm concerned that these duels are going to be a turn-off for some players, mainly the ones not involved in the duel.

The closest thing I can think of to DCC spell duels that I have seen first-hand is a case years ago where the wizard in our party cast Time Stop -- and the dragon we were battling had a cast Time Stop on contingency, so he was active within the bubble of time with the wizard. Suddenly the wizard was fighting the dragon alone for four rounds! It was exciting to watch because it was unexpected from the get-go. I'm not sure it would remain exciting as a regular feature, given the time involved to resolve it...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

GnomeBoy wrote:Sean, was there any moment of "now... where were we?" when the duel was over?
No, but all of us were involved. The only 'normal' round actions were by the skeletons and they didn't last long. Actually the whole duel didn't take long due of the amount of damage dealt at 5th Level.

In a mixed-class party I'm sure a spell duel between 2 or 3 casters wouldn't hog the stage too long, but like everything else, the proof's in the playing.
Sean Wills
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I really wish I had greater means to playtest this game in general. What had been a chance to do so has been melting in the developing Summer heat...

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Spells and Magic”