How to use Luck for wizards

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to spell tables, mercurial magic, patron magic, corruption and deity disapproval, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

yfr
Far-Sighted Wanderer

How to use Luck for wizards

Post by yfr »

Suppose Albus and Bartleby both have Luck scores of 18. They both have a bonus of +3 on luck-relevant rolls.

Suppose Albus, a wizard, rolls a 27 on Table 1-2; now his Luck bonus applies to Corruption rolls.
His friend Bartleby, also a wizard, does not roll a 27 and thus his Luck bonus does not apply to Corruption rolls.

Then the players look at page 35, which says: "A wizard’s Luck modifier applies to all rolls for corruption (see page 97) and mercurial magic (see page 95)."

Does this mean that Albus has a +6 on Corruption rolls and Bartleby has a +3 on Corruption rolls?

Thanks.
Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: How to use Luck for wizards

Post by Dreamslinger »

yfr wrote:Suppose Albus and Bartleby both have Luck scores of 18. They both have a bonus of +3 on luck-relevant rolls.

Suppose Albus, a wizard, rolls a 27 on Table 1-2; now his Luck bonus applies to Corruption rolls.
His friend Bartleby, also a wizard, does not roll a 27 and thus his Luck bonus does not apply to Corruption rolls.

Then the players look at page 35, which says: "A wizard’s Luck modifier applies to all rolls for corruption (see page 97) and mercurial magic (see page 95)."

Does this mean that Albus has a +6 on Corruption rolls and Bartleby has a +3 on Corruption rolls?

Thanks.

I would think that you would. The Luck chart has a note at the bottom that specifically mentions crits and fumbles working that way. I don't see why you'd treat this differently.
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: How to use Luck for wizards

Post by jmucchiello »

yfr wrote:Does this mean that Albus has a +6 on Corruption rolls and Bartleby has a +3 on Corruption rolls?
Yes. As I understand it. In 3e terms all bonuses are unnamed and thus stack. You can apply a luck bonus twice if that's what the rules dictate.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Spells and Magic”