Crits without charts

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to combat rules, crits, fumbles, Mighty Deeds of Arms, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Crits without charts

Post by fjw70 »

I am not really a chart guy so I was thinking of a way to simplify the whole crit thing. I was thinking of just making it damage related and each chart wouled have its own die type as follows.

Chart 1: d4
Chart 2: d6
Chart 3: d8
Chart 4: d10
Chart 5: d12

Then on the crit roll for every 5 of the results (i.e. 1-5, 6-10, etc.) then you would have a cumulative +1 die (e.g. a roll of 7 on chart 3 would be +2d8 and a roll of 16 on chart 5 would +4d12). This makes the crits very brutal yet simple. The flavor text would be left for the players and DM, and it would leave the blinding disarming etc. to things like MDoA.
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Crits without charts

Post by abk108 »

It would'nt be a bad solution.. if there were a problem :roll:
I like crit tables as they are: less math means you can play longer and even tired/no-good-at-maths players can discover the result of the crit in 2 sec.
:wink:
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

abk108 wrote:I like crit tables as they are: less math means you can play longer and even tired/no-good-at-maths players can discover the result of the crit in 2 sec.
:wink:
As a former Math teacher I don't accept that. :)
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

I love the crit tables. :D :D :D :D
Aluvial
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Aluvial »

I am not sure I understand what the extra dice for crits would play like. Have you tried this?

Aluvial
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I was adverse to the Crit Charts at first, it reminded me too much of Warhammer RPG and Rolemaster. I thought that they'd be better if they were more generic. But after giving it a shot (in the spirit of the play-test) I'm actually sold on them now. There is a moment of anxiety and excitement when a CRIT or Fumble happens, everyone pauses while we "look them up". It hasn't detracted from the game, in fact it's been really fun. There will be a ton of times where you have to change things for it to make sense, but that's what our imagination is for. It's a good exercise for the GM, or players if you give them the agency (which I encourage.) It really becomes part of the game. But for an "on-the-go" kind of game, where you don't have access to the actual charts I see some sort of formula working, maybe using a simple chart related to hit locations and ability scores.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Combat”