Armor Class calculation

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to combat rules, crits, fumbles, Mighty Deeds of Arms, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dionysos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Armor Class calculation

Post by Dionysos »

Hello! It may be a few weeks before I am able to assemble my players to give this a full-on playtest, so I have just been posting some errata-type stuff in the meantime. I have to say, this game looks terrific! I really haven't been excited about a game this much in a rather long time.

Now, on to the subject of my post. Am I correct in thinking that AC is calculated as 10+armor bonus+shield bonus+Agility bonus+ magical/miscellaneous bonuses? If so, then the discussion of Armor Class on page 64 makes no mention of the "10+" part of the calculation. If I were reading that and had no background with 3e, I would think that a character in full plate armor would have an AC of 8, rather than 18.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Armor Class calculation

Post by Harley Stroh »

Yikes! Good catch. It is indeed 10+. We need to go through the rules and make certain that is stated.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
The Mad Hermit
Gongfarmer

Post by The Mad Hermit »

Thank you, Rat King! I had just done a .pdf search and could not find the base AC in the document.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

You're right. The only place that alludes to an unarmored person having AC 10 is on page 6. A classic case of assumptions based on what we know about older games.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Michael Pfaff
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Michael Pfaff »

Yup. We noticed this in our playtest.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Combat”