Warrior Mighty Deed of Arms

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to combat rules, crits, fumbles, Mighty Deeds of Arms, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

reverenddak

Re: Warrior Mighty Deed of Arms

Post by reverenddak »

Drew wrote:
Um, again, the Defensive Manuever does full damage AND gives me an AC bonus. This is certainly a tactic I can rely on.
Actually this is the point of the system, you can't rely on it working. It encourages, creative play from Warriors (Fighters are notorious in OSR for being boring.) It allows for "Feat" like "PowersTM" that aren't dependable until you gain some levels, and even then there is a 2 in (whatever die) that it doesn't work. When you're 1st level, a blinding attack is 33% reliable. At higher levels it becomes increasingly more reliable AND more powerful.

Also remember that DCC levels DO NOT translate 1 to 1 with OSR or d20.

Bottom line, the MDoA is DCC RPG's attempt to make the Fighter of old/OSR a viable, interesting & playable character. MDoA is what makes them "special".
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Gwarh
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: Currently Greyhawk City, waiting for teleport to Aererth

Post by Gwarh »

Bronn wrote:Besides, doesn't an attempted MDoA mean sacrificing the bonus die's damage? If so that's a pretty significant cost right there.
I was going to suggest/house-rule the same thing, but I'm glad to see that it's more or less codified in the books.

Make it so the player has to choose between adding their "Attack" die to their "Action" die roll for a better chance to hit and damage the foe.

or

Subtract the Attack Die from the Action Die roll to hit/dmg, and take a chance at suceeding with a Mighty Deed!
"Dirty Deeds, Done! Dirt!! Cheap!!!"
a.k.a. Thuffer Mudfoot of the Hool Marsh Mudfoots (Greyhawk)
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Gwarh wrote:Subtract the Attack Die from the Action Die roll to hit/dmg, and take a chance at suceeding with a Mighty Deed!
Why would a higher level warrior have more chance of failing with a MDoA? You don't need to subtract the class die from his action die roll. Just don't count it for attack chance or damage amounts. It makes no sense that as the warrior goes up in the level his attempts to do MDoAs becomes more swingy.
Gwarh
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: Currently Greyhawk City, waiting for teleport to Aererth

Post by Gwarh »

No, sorry poor wording on my part.

I meant

That you subtract the "Attack" die itself from the roll to hit/damage.

It doesn't act as a minus to the to hit roll when removing the attack die. You just don't gain the potential bonus of the result of the attack die to your roll to hit/damage.

So at level 1 a Warrior gets an attack die of d3.

They can choose to roll their Action Die of d20 to hit a goblin lets say, AND add the d3 attack die result to their roll to hit/damage results against said Goblin.
OR
They can just roll their Action die of d20 to hit the enemy, and instead roll their Attack die of d3 in the hopes of getting a 3 on it's roll and succeeding on a Mighty Deed of Arms attempt.

Does that make more sense?
"Dirty Deeds, Done! Dirt!! Cheap!!!"
a.k.a. Thuffer Mudfoot of the Hool Marsh Mudfoots (Greyhawk)
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

I like the MDoA premise, but how do we handle mighty deeds that don't require an attack roll? Like Fafhrds' rocket assisted leap over Trollstep canyon. Whats the AC of a crazy-a$$ stunt, or is stuff like that not considered mighty and therefore covered by skill check DC 20+?
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Tortog wrote:I like the MDoA premise, but how do we handle mighty deeds that don't require an attack roll? Like Fafhrds' rocket assisted leap over Trollstep canyon. Whats the AC of a crazy-a$$ stunt, or is stuff like that not considered mighty and therefore covered by skill check DC 20+?
20+? 20 maybe but 20+ is for superhuman tasks. Read the DC descriptions again. Don't be like Harley. A DC of 10 is your friend. :)
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Tortog wrote:I like the MDoA premise, but how do we handle mighty deeds that don't require an attack roll? Like Fafhrds' rocket assisted leap over Trollstep canyon. Whats the AC of a crazy-a$$ stunt, or is stuff like that not considered mighty and therefore covered by skill check DC 20+?
IMHO - If it is not combat related, then MDoA does not cover it as it is a non-combat action. The way I understand MDoA is not that it is something that gives a fighter super hero powers, but is more of a mechanic to do cool stuff during combat. But it still has to be something they can do outside of combat also.

For example (using 3e as a base):

MDoA - Spring Attack ---- successful roll you execute the feat... or most of the maneuver feats form 3e. Heck, you could even wing it this way that it is a target number of 3 (for a feat with no pre-reqs... and add +1 for each pre-req required by a feat.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Combat”