"Attack Die"

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to combat rules, crits, fumbles, Mighty Deeds of Arms, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: "Attack Die"

Post by jmucchiello »

bholmes4 wrote:On one hand I love the situations you suggest, the possibilities for creative play. On the other hand I want to have henchmen and hirelings be a significant part of this campaign. Your multiple attacks will be your henchmen. If I allow multiple attacks I worry about handling time and having 15+ minute battles like later editions.
Later editions have 1-2 hour combats. 15 minutes is nothing. Don't fear the second action.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

bholmes4 wrote:I actually would have thought it was done his way too lol. Did it slow things much using two actions?

My main issue with 2 attacks is that I want my player's engaged at all times. I want their turns to come back around so fast they can't disengage or end up lost as to what just happened. With all the chart checking that can go on at this game I am very hesitant on this issue.
No. Nothing was slowed down at all. Our longest combat was the ape in the Infernal Crucible. Even that was only around 12 minutes. The combat felt like it dragged for other reasons, IMO. Mostly because the monster was just kinda a hit/miss thing with a lot of hit points and there wasn't much going on environmentally after the electro-zappy thing was disabled.

Some nods to 4e monsters would go a long way towards making DCC combats that are 15 minutes long and really, really exciting -- without putting the onus entirely on the DM to make stuff up to make them feel that way.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

jmucchiello wrote:
bholmes4 wrote:On one hand I love the situations you suggest, the possibilities for creative play. On the other hand I want to have henchmen and hirelings be a significant part of this campaign. Your multiple attacks will be your henchmen. If I allow multiple attacks I worry about handling time and having 15+ minute battles like later editions.
Later editions have 1-2 hour combats. 15 minutes is nothing. Don't fear the second action.
I guess part of it will depend on what level those henchmen are. If they are around level 1-2, they will die of quickly in battles with 5+ level pcs and monsters. If you have a bunch of 5th+ level hench men then yes, battle would start to noticible slow, I would imagen, espicially if you have alot of them. If you only have one or two henchmen, I think it will be ok. If you have a henchman for every party member, and double a party of 5 to 10 by adding henchmen, and then having to add more monsters to balanch out the encounter, then you have longer times playing out combats but its probably more to having a ton of hench men to keep track of more then the extra attack.

If you wan't that many henchmen, you can either let each pc manage each henchmen and thus the game will not slow two much. If you want to manage all those guys from behind the screen, I would say standardized them so they all roll the same action dice, with the same bonuses, and the same weapon damage and damage bonus, as well as let them all have the same hps and AC in order to stram line the process. YOu could also take away the henchmen's extra action dice, but let the players, who are the real heros any way, keep their extra action dice. This will also help keep the henchmen from stealing the players thunder (which not to many players like), while providing meat for the grinder to instill fear and/or a sense of revenge in the player characters.

Play test it out and see how it goes. you can allways drop those extra action dice after the fact if you and your players decide it dose slow down the game without adding to it.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Combat”