On average, how many goblins.....

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to combat rules, crits, fumbles, Mighty Deeds of Arms, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

On average, how many goblins.....

Post by geordie racer »

does it take to kill a 1st level warrior ?
Sean Wills
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: On average, how many goblins.....

Post by Kruvil »

I would think goblins would just run from a warrior with weapon and armor. If the warrior gets the jump on them, I'd think it would take five or more goblins to win.

A warrior with scale and an AC of 14 means the goblins hit 25% of the time. Warrior hits goblins in leather about 50% of the time without ability score bonuses. The warrior will likely kill a goblin every other round. Roughly one goblin will hit per round for 2 hp of damage. It would take the goblins six rounds and three dead to win. I can't see the goblins sticking around that long though.

It might take six goblins, though, as the warrior can crit more easily and perform a mighty deed roughly every third round.

And if the warrior or goblins have better weapons and armor it would change things of course.
Last edited by Kruvil on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Cheers ! I was just interested in comparing the DCC fighter to this cool post on D&D fighters
Sean Wills
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Those sound like proper odds.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

geordie racer wrote:Cheers ! I was just interested in comparing the DCC fighter to this cool post on D&D fighters
Heh... I'll see if I can do a new one for the dcc fighter. I expect that he will be tougher than a 3rd edition fighter but not as tough as a 4e one.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

I couldn't find the code for those tests but I did find the code for the similar tests I did here-

http://1d8.blogspot.com/2011/03/evoluti ... ake-2.html

Now ignoring crits and deeds (which really shouldn't matter very much against a lone goblin as they almost always die with one hit), here is what I got for the average 1st level dcc fighter (+1 str mod, HP- 9, AC- 17) after 10,000 tests:

fighter died = 571
goblin died = 9429
fighter death chance = 5.71%
average rounds = 1.2847

That makes the dcc fighter a bit tougher than a AD&D 2e fighter but not nearly as impervious as a 3rd or 4th edition fighter. The combats are almost as quick as 2e as well.
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Kruvil wrote:I would think goblins would just run from a warrior with weapon and armor. If the warrior gets the jump on them, I'd think it would take five or more goblins to win.

A warrior with scale and an AC of 14 means the goblins hit 25% of the time. Warrior hits goblins in leather about 50% of the time without ability score bonuses. The warrior will likely kill a goblin every other round. Roughly one goblin will hit per round for 2 hp of damage. It would take the goblins six rounds and three dead to win. I can't see the goblins sticking around that long though.

It might take six goblins, though, as the warrior can crit more easily and perform a mighty deed roughly every third round.

And if the warrior or goblins have better weapons and armor it would change things of course.
Not to be picky, but your numbers are a little skewed. Goblins will hit 30% of the time (I know not a big difference), but if they roll a natural 20... that is a critical.

so for 5 goblins... and the warrior hits one on the first round AND got intiative

So on round 1,
a warrior kills a goblin
Four goblins hit on average once (1.2) (with 20% chance of critical) (4 goblins x natural 20)

round 2
Warrior misses
Four goblins hit on average once (1.2) (with 20% chance of critical)

round 3
Warrior hits and kills a goblin
Three goblins get a 90% chance of a hit (with 15% chance of a critical)

round 4
Warrior misses
Three goblins get a 90% chance of a hit (with 15% chance of a critical)

I am not going to step this out any more. By the time round four is done, the Warrior has mostly likely taken four hits. If he does not have a stamina bonus, he is most likely dead or very near death. If one of the goblins got lucky and landed a natural 20, the warrior is probably dead. (14 chances to hit in four rounds).

I think five goblins might be a little high for a 1st level Warrior to take on.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Hamakto wrote:Not to be picky, but your numbers are a little skewed. Goblins will hit 30% of the time (I know not a big difference), but if they roll a natural 20... that is a critical.
What chart do they roll on with what die?
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

I asked Joseph about this and he said there would be separate tables for types of monsters like Dragon-y things would have their own crit tables from various types of humanoid monsters.

I think the die they roll should be a monster stat. So goblins and orcs and bugbears might all use Monster table I (or whatever they are called) but would not crit the same.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Katas is correct. We are working on a "master" crit table for most monsters (differentiated by hit die), and then unique crit tables for the archetypal beasts. A dragon deserves its own crit table after all.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Harley Stroh wrote:Katas is correct. We are working on a "master" crit table for most monsters (differentiated by hit die), and then unique crit tables for the archetypal beasts. A dragon deserves its own crit table after all.
Ah ... monster cards, much like the spell cards we've discussed. Sounds like it could be fun. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

be careful when deciding that, based on the calculations on this thread, since 5 goblins is ok against a warrior, then 10+ goblins are ok against a 1st level party (5 against warrior, 3 against cleric, 2 against thief, 1 against wizard)....
goblins with ranged weapons (50% of goblins of a small patrol are very likely to have at least slings, if not shortbows) can be deadly.
I'd say that against a 1st level party "1d4+2 goblins" are a proper challenge, while "1d6+2" could be a Risky fight.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Combat”