Some Playtest/Houserule Ideas: DWARVES and Spells/Halflings

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Some Playtest/Houserule Ideas: DWARVES and Spells/Halflings

Post by caveman »

So, I know the game is off to the presses already, but I've been playing a fair bit lately (made 2nd level from 0!) and I've actually got a whole doc of fiddly houserules and wild magic charts culled from here and all over, but last game I was struck by something I haven't seen discussed much, Dwarves.

We have a guy brand new to RPGs playing the Dwarf and its great because he looks like a dwarf and he's into the whole "I'm a blacksmith who can smell gold" thing, but its weird that he has to roll all these extra dice for two attacks everytime, so here's my solution/option.

This is certainly following a certain image of Dwarves that is obviously to taste, but in my head a dwarf should be a simple, well defended character, a fortress unto himself, not a whirling dervish (it seems perilously close to the heresy of dwarf throwing jokes), so better AC with Shields due to their stumpyness, and steadily increasing Saving Throws, and just to kill off all dwarf/elf drinking heresies, Dwarves enjoy an inherent bonus to drinking contests! Like?

DWARVES
Dwarves do NOT get a 2nd Shield Bash attack
Dwarves enjoy a +2 AC bonus for using a shield
Add Level to Fortitude and Willpower Saving Throws in addition to the Table 1-14 Tough as Nails...
Speed is not affected by armor. Dwarves are as slow in platemail as they are in padded armor
If they wish to wield 2-handed weapons, they Roll a d20 for Initiative because of their low center of gravity.
Dwarves are legendary Carousers and may add their Luck bonus to any Carousing related rolls.

As I side note, I'm thinking of these Spellburn rules as well. Spellburning after the Roll takes away some of the gambler's drama, but I do see how it may be necessary. And Halflings are weak.

WIZARDS
Spellburn declared before the Roll gives a bonus on a +1:1 ratio. Spellburn after the Roll is +1:2.
There is no obviating a Roll of 1
HALFLINGS
Halfling adds his Luck bonus to AC

Oh, and I just pre-ordered my book, looking forward to the text, even if I houserule the hell out of it. Hope the margins are big...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Some Playtest/Houserule Ideas: DWARVES and Spells/Halfli

Post by finarvyn »

caveman wrote:I just pre-ordered my book, looking forward to the text, even if I houserule the hell out of it.
I houserule almost every game I play to one degree or another. I think that most of the time getting a game to fit my group's style is more important than forcing my group to fit the game's style. Of course, I often run a session or two first to see how it fits my group since sometimes they surprise me and like a game more-or-less as-is. (They're really hooked on DCC's funnel, for example. Surprised me how much they enjoy level-0 dudes since a couple of the guys are real power-gamer types.) Most of the time they have little preferences that differ so we tweak away. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

what have you done with the dwarves?
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I'm not a fan of the dwarves as written either and think your changes are closer to how I see them as well.

I can't say I like spellburning at all but at least your rule helps address one of the beefs I have with it. I would be tempted to be even tougher.

The halfling change is something I had considered doing though I am waiting until DCC is released before I will decide if it's worth spending time on or simply using as inspiration for my B/X game.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

hey caveman,

My game world has an extensive history worked out for both Mountain Dwarves and and Hill Dwarves and why they hate each other, but I've avoided doing any real work on them as 'races' or 'classes'.

I like your version of the Dwarves. I don't mind the 'whirling dervish' so much, so I'd probably just add some of your stuff on top of whats already written in the beta. In general, I'm waiting to see what the final version of the non-humans look like before doing any extensive work in this area. I've been too busy with Deities, Patrons, and spells to worry about it. :)

I also like the idea of making the spellburn cost more after the casting, I may consider adopting this rule...
:twisted:

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”