How is HP supposed to increase?

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

How is HP supposed to increase?

Post by abk108 »

:| I checked a couple of times, but I can't find anywhere in the Beta Rules a clarification for this:
how many HP do you get per level, after lvl 0?

It says that at lvl 0, you get 1d4+STAMINA mod.
Are we supposed to get the Class HD+ STAMINA mod, after that? or just the HD? :?:

I'm used to 3E, so it seemed obvious to add HD+STA, but this game seems to be harder, monster and PCs are weaker... so having less HP could've been intentional! :roll:
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: How is HP supposed to increase?

Post by Dreamslinger »

Good catch. The description of Stamina in the stats chapter seems to elude to it but I can't find anywhere that specifically calls out adding your Stamina bonus to anything but your 0 level HP.
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

Somewhere in the forum archives I asked this exact question about a week ago. The answer is that you do add Stamina modifier at each level when you roll hit points.

(Also note that apparently only the modifier at the time you roll matters, so subsequent stamina changes do not change hit points).
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

meinvt wrote:Somewhere in the forum archives I asked this exact question about a week ago. The answer is that you do add Stamina modifier at each level when you roll hit points.

(Also note that apparently only the modifier at the time you roll matters, so subsequent stamina changes do not change hit points).
ok... so no more getting +4 to Stamina to get +2HP/level :roll: :D
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

meinvt wrote:I asked this exact question about a week ago. The answer is that you do add Stamina modifier at each level when you roll hit points.
This is correct.
meinvt wrote:(Also note that apparently only the modifier at the time you roll matters, so subsequent stamina changes do not change hit points).
This I do not recall. I'll have to go back and look for the place where this was discussed.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Ugh. This is one of the reasons I was pitching hard for a different approach to hit points a while back. It's already bad enough that Stamina adds or subtracts each level (making it easily THE most important stat of the group). But having it go up and down just complicates things unnecessarily.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

smathis wrote:It's already bad enough that Stamina adds or subtracts each level (making it easily THE most important stat of the group).
Which is why it's important to keep stat bonuses somewhat small. And important to make sure that all of the attributes can do something cool. Strength is obvious because of combat advantages, luck can do some neat things ... we need to be sure that Intelligence and Personality don't get lost along the way.
smathis wrote:But having it go up and down just complicates things unnecessarily.
Again, this is a rule that I don't recall at all and I can't verify its correctness. If this is actually the rule, I agree totally.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

This is the prior thread. In it someone said you don't recalculate hit points when Stamina changes. This seems like a good rule to me, so I just assumed they were right.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 89&p=41285
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

finarvyn wrote:
smathis wrote:It's already bad enough that Stamina adds or subtracts each level (making it easily THE most important stat of the group).
Which is why it's important to keep stat bonuses somewhat small. And important to make sure that all of the attributes can do something cool. Strength is obvious because of combat advantages, luck can do some neat things ... we need to be sure that Intelligence and Personality don't get lost along the way.
I agree on keeping stat bonuses and penalties small. That's helped some.
finarvyn wrote:
smathis wrote:But having it go up and down just complicates things unnecessarily.
Again, this is a rule that I don't recall at all and I can't verify its correctness. If this is actually the rule, I agree totally.
I think the rule is that new hit points are calculated with whatever Stamina you got at that time. Because it doesn't make sense that a player would lose 3 or 4 Stamina points on Spellburn or getting recovered and then turn around and get a +2 when their permanent Stamina is 12. That means we'd have to track THREE Stamina scores per character. First, their original Stamina score. Next, their current PERMANENT Stamina and, lastly, their current Stamina.

And making that deal with the devil to get an 18 Stamina would be "buyer beware" if you're still only applying your ORIGINAL Stamina score (of say, 9) to your hit points.

So calculating hit points with whatever Stamina is at the time of the roll (permanent or whatever) makes the most sense and is slightly less annoying.

There are better ways to do this, though.

Just sayin.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”