More Charts?

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Drew
Far-Sighted Wanderer

More Charts?

Post by Drew »

Am I the only one who would like to see more random charts for character creation? DCC RPG 0 level characters are a ton of fun to make, and I absolutely LOVE the funnel method. I think it would be neat if the game included even more random charts for character creation. One could manages to squeeze a few charts for height, weight, hair color, eye color, and names into two or three pages, I imagine. I'd also like to see the list of occupations and trade goods spread out a bit more. Must every slave begin with a strange-looking rock, for example? The randomness is a big part of the fun for me, but I'm afraid of the novelty wearing off after a while. More random charts = more fun. Actually, perhaps making the Trade Good less tied to the occupation would be fun, giving more possible combos at the start.

Just thoughts. If space is a concern, it wouldn't be too hard for a fan to come up with a bunch expanded charts himself. I'm sure that in the longterm this kind of stuff won't matter, but with the high mortality rate this game has at low levels, I can see Table 1-3 wearing out fast.
Check out my Gaming Blog at: http://retreatforward.blogspot.com/.
numenetics
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: More Charts?

Post by numenetics »

I think that after running it for a while I'd figure out what the chance of being a demi-human was, roll that, and then allow people to come up with an occupation, weapon, and trade good (subject to DM approval).
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

I generally think there are enough charts to start with. I like that you pretty much roll up the essentials and are ready to go. Let the character description align to the stats.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

numenetics wrote:I think that after running it for a while I'd figure out what the chance of being a demi-human was, roll that, and then allow people to come up with an occupation, weapon, and trade good (subject to DM approval).
Just look at the chart. It's 10% for each three races. So 70% human, 30% demihuman. 18-27 is Dwarf, 28-37 is Elf and 55-64 is Halfling.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I think that the number of charts is just about right, considering that so many 0-level characters are destined to die a quick and painful death.

On the other hand, it might be interesting to have some background charts that wouldn't come into play until 1st level. Not so realistic, but keeps the pesky details away from the folks who don't matter.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

finarvyn wrote:I think that the number of charts is just about right, considering that so many 0-level characters are destined to die a quick and painful death.

On the other hand, it might be interesting to have some background charts that wouldn't come into play until 1st level. Not so realistic, but keeps the pesky details away from the folks who don't matter.
My feeling is that there are tons of 3rd party sources with these sorts of background charts. I'd rather have more of the meat and tone of DCC in the main book I buy.

I feel the same way about having name charts. My players used the wonderful Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names as a reference while making characters, which did speed things along. But, I would just leave it that way, or put possible name lists into individual modules rather than taking a page for it in the main text.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

meinvt wrote:My feeling is that there are tons of 3rd party sources with these sorts of background charts. I'd rather have more of the meat and tone of DCC in the main book I buy.

I feel the same way about having name charts. My players used the wonderful Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names as a reference while making characters, which did speed things along. But, I would just leave it that way, or put possible name lists into individual modules rather than taking a page for it in the main text.
+d100. Yes, to encouraging 3pp purchases. (And no I don't publish any books with these kinds of charts.)
AND Yes to having no name charts in a core rulebook. There's no way the core rulebook's naming conventions are appropriate to all fantasy worlds.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”