Stamina adjusting hit points

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Stamina adjusting hit points

Post by meinvt »

On page 14 it indicates that hit points for Level 0 are modified by Stamina. There is no mention I can find of Stamina impacting hit points. I'm assuming this modification is intended to be applied at each level? Or is that my traditional experience overloading the rules as written?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Stamina adjusting hit points

Post by Harley Stroh »

It is briefly mentioned on page 11, under the Stamina stat. But yes, apply it once each level.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

Ahh, I looked there. It says it affects hit points (which it clearly does at level 0), and then that you get a minimum of 1 per level regardless of Stamina (also true of level 0). But it doesn't actually say that the Stamina modifier is applied again at each level (so that you've applied it twice when at first level).

This is particularly important as it would be easily missed when making a first level character if a player skipped the funnel.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Good point. It probably needs to be called out explicitly.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

This is why I suggested making a HIT POINTS section in the early part of chapter 1.

Also I had a thought. Thieves should be able to substitute their Luck modifier for their Stamina modifier for hit point rolls. (Assuming hit points are also considered "luck in combat").
Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dreamslinger »

jmucchiello wrote:This is why I suggested making a HIT POINTS section in the early part of chapter 1.

Also I had a thought. Thieves should be able to substitute their Luck modifier for their Stamina modifier for hit point rolls. (Assuming hit points are also considered "luck in combat").
I think it would make more sense to let characters somehow burn luck to soak damage than to substitute luck for stamina. It would give more of a "luck running out" feeling after the character cheats death.

Using Luck for HPs seems like a bad idea since it is a fluctuating stat.

I haven't really given it much thought but a character could be allowed to burn luck when a blow takes him below 0 HP. For each point burnt the character gets their level in HPs. They can only burn enough points to bring themselves back to positive HP.
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Dreamslinger wrote:I haven't really given it much thought but a character could be allowed to burn luck when a blow takes him below 0 HP. For each point burnt the character gets their level in HPs. They can only burn enough points to bring themselves back to positive HP.
I like this suggestion a lot. If Joseph doesn't use it, I'm going to borrow it for one of the classes I'm putting together.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Dreamslinger wrote:Using Luck for HPs seems like a bad idea since it is a fluctuating stat.
You don't recalculate hit points when stamina changes. Why would luck do so either? When you level up, whatever your luck is at that moment, the thief can use that modifier in place of his stamina for his new hit points.
Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dreamslinger »

jmucchiello wrote:
Dreamslinger wrote:Using Luck for HPs seems like a bad idea since it is a fluctuating stat.
You don't recalculate hit points when stamina changes. Why would luck do so either? When you level up, whatever your luck is at that moment, the thief can use that modifier in place of his stamina for his new hit points.
Stamina doesn't fluctuate as much as Luck does especially for a Thief.
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Dreamslinger wrote:Stamina doesn't fluctuate as much as Luck does especially for a Thief.
Tell that to the wizards.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”