Alignment: Different for Monsters and Characters?

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Alignment: Different for Monsters and Characters?

Post by Dreamslinger »

I noticed when I was flipping through the spells that there is a "Detect Evil" spell. The wording of the the spell indicates that that it detects evil alignments and may be reversed to detect good alignments ( among other things ).

This seemed odd to me because in the character creation section a one axis alignment system is presented of Law-Neutrality-Chaos. I went to check the creature section and it appears that monsters are using a two axis alignment system though the abbreviations used ( CN, NE, N, CE, etc. ) are never explained.

Is it intended that monsters and characters use different systems of alignment?
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
Dreamslinger
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Alignment: Different for Monsters and Characters?

Post by Dreamslinger »

Also, I find it very funny that all of the monsters give a XXX experience.
Magic: 40% of the time it works every time.
blizack
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Alignment: Different for Monsters and Characters?

Post by blizack »

I was able to playtest an earlier version of DCC a while back, and I clearly remember my wizard character being Lawful Evil, so I'd guess that the good/evil axis used to be in the game, and that such alignments for monsters were retained by mistake.

Between the alignments and the available classes, it looks like DCC is at least as much a tribute to Moldvay/Cook D&D as it is to Appendix N...
Brave the black peaks of Dungeonskull Mountain!

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”