Personality Skills

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Personality Skills

Post by jmucchiello »

Page 53 should pay some lip service to making disguises and even ballroom dancing just give some notion of times when skill checks would be personality based. I can't wait to see a good bard class so that some class puts personality to the fore.

Perhaps give thieves a fast talk skill. :)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Personality Skills

Post by finarvyn »

jmucchiello wrote:Perhaps give thieves a fast talk skill. :)
Keep in mind that the skills section of the DCC is intentionally short just to avoid some of these details. (I asked Joseph about this very question.) If a thief wants to fast-talk, role play it out and make some sort of personality check. No "skill" needs to be built into the rules.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

If "role play it" is the answer to not having personality skills, ditch the ability score. There's nothing written from on high that 6 abilities scores are necessary. Move will saves over to Int.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

You mean get rid of personality altogether?

My suggestion was that you play it out, then allow the personality bonus to modify the die roll in the check. I wasn't suggesting that you simply throw out all of the rules and just give a bonus to the best actor. (Although it would be fun to see which player can best cast an actual spell. If someone can pull it off, I'd give him a bonus! :P )

The problem with a skill list is that it becomes the proverbial "slippery slope." When does it end? Disguise, fast-talk, persuade, orate, intimidate, acting, singing, diplomacy, et cetera, could all be personality-based skills. Suddenly now there is a whole complex skill system, like can be found in 3E. I'd rather know that I could make an "agility check" or a "personality check" or a "strength check" and then apply the right attribute to a situation as it arises.

Maybe that's just me....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

finarvyn wrote: I'd rather know that I could make an "agility check" or a "personality check" or a "strength check" and then apply the right attribute to a situation as it arises.

Maybe that's just me....
Nope, me too !
Sean Wills
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

finarvyn wrote:The problem with a skill list is that it becomes the proverbial "slippery slope."
Then why are any skills listed at all. You are just further up the slope that I'd like :)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I wouldn't equate common tasks to a list of skills. I think they're there for example.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

jmucchiello wrote:
finarvyn wrote:The problem with a skill list is that it becomes the proverbial "slippery slope."
Then why are any skills listed at all. You are just further up the slope that I'd like :)
I asked Joseph this question. His reply was that he thought that modern gamers expected to see a chapter on skills. He made it intentionally short to make a point. :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sizzaxe »

finarvyn wrote: I asked Joseph this question. His reply was that he thought that modern gamers expected to see a chapter on skills. He made it intentionally short to make a point. :D
:lol: +12 Hackmaster on that one!! :lol:
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Create a 3rd party supplement if you want these things.

I don't want a bunch of skills complicating my game. Yes I know I can take things out if I want but in my opinion it's always easier to add rules to a system than it is to remove them. Simple core rules, that's all I want!!!!
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

finarvyn wrote:When does it end? Disguise, fast-talk, persuade, orate, intimidate, acting, singing, diplomacy, et cetera,
Gary devised the Suborning skill in the Lejendary Adventures rpg. It could be a good "class skill" for a bard-type (or for thieves.)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

rabindranath72 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:When does it end? Disguise, fast-talk, persuade, orate, intimidate, acting, singing, diplomacy, et cetera,
Gary devised the Suborning skill in the Lejendary Adventures rpg. It could be a good "class skill" for a bard-type (or for thieves.)
Drat. I don't have a dictionary handy. What is "suborning" and what makes it different from a "personality check"? :?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

finarvyn wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:
Drat. I don't have a dictionary handy. What is "suborning" and what makes it different from a "personality check"? :?
Suborning would include all of the verbal attempts at disguise, fast-talk, acting, diplomacy etc.
It could be an all-encompassing skill (much like thief skills) for a bard (or thief) character. Personality modifier would apply to the check.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Hmmm. Instead of having a cool skill for it, when doing a "personality check" why not just add the level of the thief or bard to the dice roll. Seems like a cleaner rule.

This issue will probably need to be addressed by Joseph. I'll I'm doing is tossing out "fan options" but nothing that has been playtested. :(
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”