Wizards Training Time

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Alaxk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Wizards Training Time

Post by Alaxk »

Odd, the boards ate my last post :D
Edit - Not Odd, I didn't realize that all post had to be approved. Sorry for the double post on the same topic.
At 1st level a wizard determines 4 spells that he knows, representing years of study and practice.
You have a 0-level character that goes on an adventure. Great, they survive and become a 1st level Wizard. Is the gap between 0 level and the first adventure suppose to be years? Did that farmer study magic with his hen (or randomly determined farm animals) for years before going on his 0 level adventure? Perhaps the farmer's hen is his patron!

Of course, this is nothing that a clever Judge couldn't resolve. Perhaps the character's patron allowed them to study in some extraplaner space where time doesn't move at the same rate. The wizard could come back years older then his other 0 level adventurerers.
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Wizards Training Time

Post by kataskicana »

Your first one (or couple) posts have to be approved to prove you are human and not a SpamGremlin, after that you can post away.

I think that will be left to judges and preferences... there was a long thread on levelling from 0 to 1 where this was discussed.
Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Wizards Training Time

Post by Sizzaxe »

Yep it's http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =levelling

Enlightening and sort of what I was thinking. I love the pc funnel concept and am planning on looking at their 0 level experience as sort of what got the select few thinking maybe they would be succesful as adventurers. Deciding to seek out their true calling over the span of the next several years and getting the training they need to truly become "adventurers".

There are different ways to go about it of course. And one is stretching out the zero level time period--but the rules seem to suggest one or maybe two advenures at zero level b/c zero level play quickly loses it's luster when almost all most pcs do is die :twisted: I love it :twisted:

Anyway that's the gist I think. Maybe this thread belongs in the player playtest notes, eh?

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”