Choosing a Class (p19)

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AgeOfFable
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Choosing a Class (p19)

Post by AgeOfFable »

This says that you can't choose to be a dwarf, elf or halfling unless you were one as a 0-level character, however it doesn't say the reverse. So it could be interpreted as saying that 0-level dwarves can decide not to choose the 'dwarf' class and be (for example) wizards instead.
Teleleli The people, places, gods and monsters of the great city and the islands around.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Choosing a Class (p19)

Post by Ravenheart87 »

AgeOfFable wrote:This says that you can't choose to be a dwarf, elf or halfling unless you were one as a 0-level character, however it doesn't say the reverse. So it could be interpreted as saying that 0-level dwarves can decide not to choose the 'dwarf' class and be (for example) wizards instead.
I would say yes: you grew up among humans, you are not familiar with your true heritage, you were raised among humans, like a human. Slowly, humanity assimilates all the humanoids and destroys all inhuman races. You are one of the first ones.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

That's how I read it too, I'm not sure how I feel about it. My only reservation, honestly, is something I already brought up in the demi-humans thread... how to explain to someone that their dwarf thief doesn't have infravision, or a beard... (joke.)
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

reverenddak wrote:That's how I read it too, I'm not sure how I feel about it. My only reservation, honestly, is something I already brought up in the demi-humans thread... how to explain to someone that their dwarf thief doesn't have infravision, or a beard... (joke.)
You grew up overground, so it didn't develop.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

I'd give them the infravision since when has having infravision really been useful is there's even one human with that damned blinding torch of his? His trade off is moving only 20' instead of 30'.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

jmucchiello wrote:I'd give them the infravision since when has having infravision really been useful is there's even one human with that damned blinding torch of his? His trade off is moving only 20' instead of 30'.
Sure you could do that in house, goes without saying (it's an easy fix) but arbitrary decisions like that don't fly in organized play. Especially with sticklers for Rules As Written. The easiest thing (in spirit of the game and intent) would be to officially restrict demi-humans to their appropriate demi-human classes. Then adding new classes later.

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

This is probably way off-topic but "Organized Play"?!?? Who is organizing it? Joe is probably hoping to sell 5-10,000 copies of DCCRPG worldwide and I would be surprised if his first print run is over 3000. I would guess half the people who buy will not really run it and half the remaining folk will not keep it as their go-to RPG. Where is this demand for organized play going to come from? One-two dozen people attending Gen Con in 2012?
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Oh come on! I can hope, can't I? Buuuuuuuuuuut, I do plan to do some gaming at the local D&D Club and will allow peeps to bring their own characters. A lot of conflict comes down to Rules As Written, just sayin'. I'm going to a "organized" game later next month, mr. Goodman is GMing. I'm going to an "organized" game at the beginning of the month, I plan to start a DCC campaign. I also have my weekly homegame between those days, and rules are the number 1 topic of debate...

Table and house rules should ALWAYS be assumed. But in this case I think clarification is warranted--organized play or not. And really not much to ask. I see this becoming issue #1 from the start. I mean it's the FIRST decision you ever make when it comes to the path your character takes once he levels.

Why so cynical? Don't you want the game to "succeed"? And by success doesn't by any means Pathfinder levels, much less Sword & Wizardy "success". I want the game to be GOOD. And I don't see how using "organized" play as an example to needing clearer rules is a bad thing. I'm pretty sure mr. Goodman wants to set a new standard.

jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

reverenddak wrote:Why so cynical? Don't you want the game to "succeed"? And by success doesn't by any means Pathfinder levels, much less Sword & Wizardy "success". I want the game to be GOOD. And I don't see how using "organized" play as an example to needing clearer rules is a bad thing. I'm pretty sure mr. Goodman wants to set a new standard.
Selling 5-10,000 is succeeding. The RPG market is small.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I would say that "organized play" would include any tournaments or convention games. Anywhere when the players would expect to see "official rules" being used, as compared to house rules.

That's part of the problem I see with the "well, the rules say X but I'll rule Y" statements at this point in the playtest. It would be nice to have folks actually try out the rules as written for a while before changing things. You may find that there is a reason for a rule.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”