Year Seven Tournament Preview

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Year Seven Tournament Preview

Post by Jengenritz »

One of the things we strive for is to make each year's tourney "different" in some way.

Here are three changes in store for the next tourney:

- Set party. I love the "choose-a-team" design, but it can lead to teams getting hosed because they didn't take THE ONE CHARACTER that was perfect for the encounter. While we balance that out over the course of the entire module, next year we'll do something new. Every team will be composed of exactly the same pregens. Now more than ever you'll be tested on what you can do in the moment with what you're given.

- Advancement will be based on cash value in hand at the end of the round, plus any post-round decisions you make. That is the ONLY requirement to advance. Monster kills you make, puzzles you solve, traps you avoid, deaths you incur are all significant only in how they earn or cost you money. Before you start thinking that you're going to be scraping copper pieces off the bottom of someone's shoe, let me assure you: you'll be after high-value items, not piles of coins. Easy to find, easy to track, and easy to get killed over.

- High heroic tier. Of the 4E tournament modules, Warbringer's Son had 1st-2nd level and then we jumped to 14th level for Scroll of Ruin. The next year will split the difference.

The 2010 Player's Pack will explain all this in greater detail when the time comes.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Year Seven Tournament Preview

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote: - Set party. I love the "choose-a-team" design, but it can lead to teams getting hosed because they didn't take THE ONE CHARACTER that was perfect for the encounter. While we balance that out over the course of the entire module, next year we'll do something new. Every team will be composed of exactly the same pregens. Now more than ever you'll be tested on what you can do in the moment with what you're given.
I gotta say...I'm sad to see this go. I always loved sitting with a cup of coffee and an excel spreadsheet, scouring each pregen and deciding which ones to take...BUT, I also agree that a set party makes it easier to compare apples to apples (and is probably a lot less work on your writers/playtesters/editors).
Jengenritz wrote: - Advancement will be based on cash value in hand at the end of the round, plus any post-round decisions you make. That is the ONLY requirement to advance. Monster kills you make, puzzles you solve, traps you avoid, deaths you incur are all significant only in how they earn or cost you money. Before you start thinking that you're going to be scraping copper pieces off the bottom of someone's shoe, let me assure you: you'll be after high-value items, not piles of coins. Easy to find, easy to track, and easy to get killed over.
Your scoring methods have always been fantastic, so I'm surprised that you've opted to change it...but, as you've said, change is what the DCC Tournament is all about...and I have to admit, I'm REALLY intrigued by the "post-round decisions".
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Mouse
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mouse »

I kinda agree with Fathead :o

I think that the character picking is an important part of the tournament. I also think it's kind of fun. Pre-gens by their very nature suck. By giving players at least a few options, you have somehow decreased the order of suckitude. It also gives all those eager tournament players something to do before GenCon. It allows teams to slightly alter themselves to suit individual play style. I think it may also give a small "leg up" to those who download the packet and study it in advance (as opposed to those who show up cold).

Speaking of characters and choices; way back in year "Three" almost all the DM's agreed that the cleric/wizard girl was the weakest link. Yet everyone seemed to choose her. I even believe the winning "clan yeoman" had chosen her as well. So despite every DM's rant about how bad she was, she was still part of the winning team. 8)

I'm all for keeping the multiple character/choices option.

As for the scoring, that will be interesting. I will reserve my vote till I see it (and probably end up playtesting it).

Erica :wink:
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Honestly, I've always been pleased with tournament decisions that the Goodman crew has made...so I don't want to sound like I'm voicing dissent...just saying that I'll miss the "tournament prep" that went along with character selection.
Mouse wrote: Speaking of characters and choices; way back in year "Three" almost all the DM's agreed that the cleric/wizard girl was the weakest link. Yet everyone seemed to choose her. I even believe the winning "clan yeoman" had chosen her as well. So despite every DM's rant about how bad she was, she was still part of the winning team. 8)
Ha...yeah, we did choose the cleric/wizard that year (and recall some GMs expressing surprise). We never leave home without the wizard, no matter how weak the character is. Just a preference, I suppose...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

fathead wrote:
Jengenritz wrote: - Set party. I love the "choose-a-team" design, but it can lead to teams getting hosed because they didn't take THE ONE CHARACTER that was perfect for the encounter. While we balance that out over the course of the entire module, next year we'll do something new. Every team will be composed of exactly the same pregens. Now more than ever you'll be tested on what you can do in the moment with what you're given.
I gotta say...I'm sad to see this go. I always loved sitting with a cup of coffee and an excel spreadsheet, scouring each pregen and deciding which ones to take...BUT, I also agree that a set party makes it easier to compare apples to apples (and is probably a lot less work on your writers/playtesters/editors).
I have to agree with Fathead here. I know we invest a great deal of time trying to find the perfect combination of characters for this years adventure. This year it did not work out so well for us (it was not horrible), but we read way too much into the previews and it did skew our selections (incorrectly) on the characters to take.

This is one of the things that makes the DCC harder than other tourneys. But will it be a big issue? No.
fathead wrote:
Jengenritz wrote: - Advancement will be based on cash value in hand at the end of the round, plus any post-round decisions you make. That is the ONLY requirement to advance. Monster kills you make, puzzles you solve, traps you avoid, deaths you incur are all significant only in how they earn or cost you money. Before you start thinking that you're going to be scraping copper pieces off the bottom of someone's shoe, let me assure you: you'll be after high-value items, not piles of coins. Easy to find, easy to track, and easy to get killed over.
Your scoring methods have always been fantastic, so I'm surprised that you've opted to change it...but, as you've said, change is what the DCC Tournament is all about...and I have to admit, I'm REALLY intrigued by the "post-round decisions".

Well, once again I (mostly) agree with Fathead. The scoring system that you use is fairly good. It rewards group for their actions and choices. Yes, I will admit that we have been stunned on occassion on what we could get points for... but in a way, that is part of the DCC.

I am not sure that the treasure method is any better than your existing method. But only time will tell...

Hamakto
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
arksorn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by arksorn »

Any news for year Seven coming up? Got my badge and now I am itching to start getting ready for the Tournament.

We loved year Six. You do so many things right that other tournaments could learn from. The background story, the scoring system, choosing characters, pregenerated characters, etc. Looking forward to seeing what changes you make.

Tom Christy
Don' Make This Wierd
2009 Champions
Keraptis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Keraptis »

Any news for year Seven coming up? Got my badge and now I am itching to start getting ready for the Tournament.
I agree. I would love to hear about any details for this years Tournament. The DCC Tournament adventures are always great and I cant wait to see what you have in store for 2010!!! :D :D :D
Keraptis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Keraptis »

Hello??????

(knock,knock,knock)

This thing on?????? :( :( :(
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I am sorry to say that there will not be a Gen Con DCC tournament this year. I have some scheduling conflicts, and there won't be an "official" Goodman Games presence in the form of booth, tournament, etc. That's not to say it's gone forever - please don't read too much into this, as sometimes happens on the internet. There will still be a "year seven" tournament, just a year later than originally planned...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

goodmangames wrote:I am sorry to say that there will not be a Gen Con DCC tournament this year. I have some scheduling conflicts, and there won't be an "official" Goodman Games presence in the form of booth, tournament, etc. That's not to say it's gone forever - please don't read too much into this, as sometimes happens on the internet. There will still be a "year seven" tournament, just a year later than originally planned...
That is a bummer. Any chance of an 'unofficial' GG presence at GenCon this year. Maybe a player run tourney?
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
Syffin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Syffin »

I too am very sad to hear that Goodman Games won't be at Gen Con. My primary reason for attending the con is to stop by the booth and pick up whatever new stuff you all have. My first year at Gen Con was to get Sellswords and the first Master Dungeon, my second year I picked up the Eladrin and Tiefling Handbooks as well Forges. I have already purchased my ticket for this year, I may just give it to a friend.

I hate to sound negative because I love every Goodman Games product that I own, but I have been disappointed with the lack of DCCs recently. I don't know if it's just unreal expectations on my part or what, but I have been really hoping to see some paragon level stuff. I think 4e was released in the summer of '08 and now we are over a year and a half later (17 months since Sellswords was released according to Amazon), and their is only one paragon DCC with no others on the coming soon page. I was under the impression that perhaps there would be a paragon Punjar adventure, but I have given up that particular hope.

I apologize for the grumping, I appreciate all of you guys hard work producing great content for us players and DMs. As a senior in college, I don't have a ton of time to play anyways, perhaps its a good thing you don't have adventures through epic yet :D
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I'm surprised this hasn't received more responses. Ever since you folks started the DCC tournament, it's been the highlight of GenCon for us (and we've been attending for the past 16 years straight...last year was the 1st we've missed since I was 18 years old). Since half of our group would be out again this year, I was planning to toss my hat into the GMs ring...and attend my very first Beer Con. Ah, well...I'll look forward to the following year. I'm also VERY interested to hear anything on the Goodman Games RPG rumors...

Anyway, best wishes to all the Goodman folks.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Fathead (and others),

I hope to make an announcement very shortly regarding an "unofficial" GenCon DCC Team Tourney for 2010. I'm still working on the details-more to follow soon.

But here is a teaser: Chalychia
arksorn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by arksorn »

I hope you pull this off. Team Don't Make This Weird will be in if you do.

Tom Christy
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Hi Guys,

Check out the new post for the official announcement for the "Unofficial Year 6.5 GenCon 2010 DCC Team Tourney!

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”