Congrats on the Silver ENnie!

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Congrats on the Silver ENnie!

Post by Treebore »

I thought Whiterock would do better than a Silver on Cartography, but I could also say I didn't expect City of Brass to get nothing.

Still, Paizo is hot for darn good reasons.

Anyways, congrats!
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: Congrats on the Silver ENnie!

Post by Jengenritz »

Thanks, Treebore.
CW had stiff competition, there's no doubt about that. This year all anyone could talk about was Paizo or WotC; they are the big dogs and they got a lot of publicity...hard to beat that even with a fantastic adventure module.

All things considered, I'm happy we got a silver ENnie for Cartography out of the deal...I think it's the first ENnie Goodman Games has ever won, and I see it as a sign of things to come.
I know the rest of Team Whiterock was - to put it one way - motivated to win some gold next year.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

No, Goodman has won a fair number of ENnies before. Congratulations nonetheless.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

No, Goodman has won a fair number of ENnies before.
Prior to Castle Whiterock, Goodman Games has been nominated several, several times, but only had one win...a silver for "Best Grognard" or something.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

If any company deserved awards, it'd be you guys--for the DCC line alone, but for several other outstanding products. (Etherscope comes to mind immediately.)

The DCC line is remarkable, and the fact that the authors are here on the boards and interested in conversing about--and accepting criticsm for--the adventures they wrote is just icing on the cake.

I'm really sorry you didn't get 1) the gold, and 2) more products nominated. When it comes to WotC and Paizo, I really don't see what all the fuss is about. (Well...I do see what the fuss is about but I don't agree with it.)

Goodman rocks. Please continue to rock. We appreciate your efforts.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Yeah don't you guys get nominated every year? Whatever .... it's tough to beat the Paizo voting machine, and Wizards is just mammoth. It'd be cool to see you guys win more, but it is also nice having this smaller community to ourselves. We're like the cool band before it gets discovered. A year from now everyone will be saying, "Oh, I love the 4E DCCs," but we'll have been the ones here from the beginning. :wink:
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Ogre, Save, thanks. Glad you guys are with us.
Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:We're like the cool band before it gets discovered.
That didn't quite get a real-LOL, but it was kinda like a guffaw...so a GOL?

Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

Whiterock is excellent. I voted gold for it too.

Can I be a cool undiscovered rock band bus driver? I have a CDL btw in the real world, so Im like qualified and stuff. :)
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

After I told my wife about the ENnie results, she compared the ENnie voting to baseball's All-Star Game selections, and she's got a good point. If you're a casual baseball fan who doesn't keep on top of the stats every week, then you'll likely choose the players either from your team or those who have a lot of name-recognition value. For instance, Derek Jeter has had probably his worst season yet, stat-wise, but he still won because ... he's Derek Jeter! He's been awesome for over a decade. Even people who aren't Yankee fans likely voted for him.

In the RPG world, WotC and Paizo have well-deserved reputations for putting out high-quality, gorgeous products, and their names are familiar to every gamer, especially those who seek out the core ingredients: rulebooks, supplements, and a few gaming aids. So right now, they're the Derek Jeter and David Ortiz of the RPG world, and they've earned every bit of praise. Goodman Games? We're the Josh Hamilton or Dustin Pedroia of the industry, and our Silver ENnie this year was the equivalent of the wave of fan voting that got those two players into the starting lineup! We're on the fan radar now. So next year, watch out!
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Ken Hart wrote:In the RPG world, WotC and Paizo have well-deserved reputations for putting out high-quality, gorgeous products
Goodmen*, give yourselves some credit--you guys release high-quality, gorgeous products, too. But yours are affordable ones. ;)

* my new term for y'all
TopoRex
Gongfarmer

Post by TopoRex »

Treebore wrote:I thought Whiterock would do better than a Silver on Cartography, but I could also say I didn't expect City of Brass to get nothing.
I think it was the Freeport adventure from Green Ronin that got gold.

Anyway, this year I believe that Whiterock should've won Best Adventure no matter what the others were. I was happy we were given the silver for the cartography, and at least that's something, but the adventure itself was the prize. What are you going to do, going up against the heavy hitters like Paizo and Wizards, and White Wolf. Thing is, Chris and Adrian as much as any of those people at Paizo deserved that medal, at the very least the silver anyway, for their work. It's sad that these awards are given more for brand recognition than merit.

Ken's point about the All-Star-ish voting results is most apt, I couldn't find any better way to explain it than that.

And yea, Goodman Games has been nominated for so many ENnies and I believe this makes precisely 2. Talk about ignored. It's nice to be the Cool Rock Band before its discovery, but don't forget that being undiscovered also means no groupies. And that just won't do.
DCCfan
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I'm glad to see GG finally got a win! They say the first one is always the hardest. After that they seem to come easier. I look forward to seeing you win your first gold next year.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

TopoRex wrote:don't forget that being undiscovered also means no groupies. And that just won't do.
Don't forget that you do have groupies...just a small base of them.

I mean, what am I, chicken liver?!? :P
TopoRex
Gongfarmer

Post by TopoRex »

Chicken liver?

Actually, I don't know who you are! Who is this Sherlock Holmes character?
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I think we need some visuals to go along with this:

Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Why, that's just gorgeous.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, they do a nice job on ENnies presentations.

I can't believe with all the ENnies nominations over the years Goodman has won only two.

I also do not really look at who won, being nominated says you have darn good product, so I look at whatever may interest me.

Which is most stuff except White Wolf product lines. I have never been "turned on" by White Wolfs games. I loved Scarred LAnds, Ravenloft, Warcraft, and Necromancers stuff, but never WW's games. The closest I got was getting into the Jyhand/Vampire CCG for about a year. Then I got turned off to that because of the nasty political decks I would build, causing some nasty arguments with people I did not want to be angry with. So I quit.

I don't know how interested I will be in 4E stuff, but I will definitely be buying the DCC with the Fat Dragon stuff in it. Likely any future product with FD stuff in it. I love FD's models.

Now Goodman needs to work out some kind of arrangement with Fiery Dragon and their counters line.
Steinkel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Steinkel »

Treebore wrote:I thought Whiterock would do better than a Silver on Cartography...
Me too. Well, congratulations for that Silver Ennie. Castle Whiterock is really awesome, not only for the fantastic cartography made by mister J. Simmons. IMHO, DCC 51 is the best adventure module of the year.

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”