What did you think of Adrian's podcast?

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

What did you think of Adrian's podcast?

Post by goodmangames »

Check it out -- Role Playing Public Radio interviewed Adrian about his writing, Castle Whiterock, writing the tournament, running the tournament, and everything in between:

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/

I enjoyed it. A great view into the mind of the man who makes this tournament work!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: What did you think of Adrian's podcast?

Post by xredjasonx »

I thought it was a great interview, although Adrians sound was a bit rough. Sounded like that was conducted over Skype maybe?

I'd love to be able to play in one of the tournaments for the 4E DCC's!
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

It was really, really good.

I learned quite a bit about the tournament ... and I've worked on the tournament! :)

If you've ever been remotely curious about the inner workings of the tournament - from design to playtesting to the logistics of running it at GenCon - check it out. You won't be disappointed.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Umm...why are they interviewing the GenCon Hall Monitor?! I'm confused....

Actually, it was a great interview - insightful, interesting, and 100% Adrian. I agree with the earlier comment - Adrian's audio was a little rough. Still, it was well done.

I also loved how Adrian talked about the necklace of exploding fireballs in the gut of a purple worm...as it would happen, that was also one of my favorite DCC tournament memories. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes (grown men are allowed to cry, right?).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I gave it a listen and thought it was informative. I like the fact that Adrian rattles on a bit. I get tired of cookie cutter interviews. When I listen to those I can almost count the seconds until the next question or response. I always wonder what they really wanted to say but couldn't because of time constraints. I wish I could be in the tournament one of these years. The tickets sell out so fast! Do you ever take standbys if someone doesn't show up like True Dungeon?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

DCCfan wrote:I gave it a listen and thought it was informative. I like the fact that Adrian rattles on a bit. I get tired of cookie cutter interviews.
Yep. 100% Adrian. The man's enthusiasm is contagious.
DCCfan wrote: I wish I could be in the tournament one of these years.
Yeah...we lucked out the first year and snagged tickets. We had so much fun, we made sure to register on the very first day of event reg. Our entire GenCon event schedule revolves around the DCC tournament now. If the event reg system tells us that we can't get all of the tickets for that time slot, we go to the next one, and the next one, until we get a spot. Since the event reg system lags (and fails...often) on the first day, it is definitely a trial...but worth it. Unfortunately, that's what you have to do in order to grab tickets. It sells out within hours on the first day.

The Goodman crew keep adding more DMs and tables, but it is never enough to keep up with the demand.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I'll have to make it a priority next year to get tickets. I know what you mean by the lag time when you try to move to a different time slot. It drives me nuts. GENCON is supposed to be for geeks and run by geeks. So I would expect the site to run more smoothly. In fact my wife usually logs on to bye my badges and always complains about the site. I was also kicked off of the community boards after 3 posts a few years back. I have to assume it was a glitch of some kind. I don't make inappropriate posts and received no warnings. I was to frustrated to even log a complaint. The silver ligning would be that I started coming here to chat instead and have had no problems.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Stonesnake
Gongfarmer

Post by Stonesnake »

DCCfan wrote:The tickets sell out so fast! Do you ever take standbys if someone doesn't show up like True Dungeon?
I would say that it's worth a shot to show up and try to get in as a standby as last year I ran a table and only one person showed up (the other three mysteriously never appeared). And I ran a second table where NOBODY showed up! I'm sure it was due to a ticket misprint or something similar, but still, it was disappointing.

If we had people waiting to play I'm sure we would have filled the table and ran with those, but since there wasn't enough people I had to cancel the event.

But I'm not the "official" word on this. But I would think that if you can't find a group and have some free time to come by and see if you can get in as a standby.
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Years ago, at a New Jersey con (there are such things!) my friend & I signed up for a AD&D event. When we showed up, all the players were there but our GM was a no-show. At a nearby table was ... you guessed it ... a GM with no players. One quick table switch later we were all in business, and it was the best session I ever participated in at a convention. Kismet.

Great podcast Adrain, BTW! 8)
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”