Greyhawk locations...

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Greyhawk locations...

Post by slimykuotoan »

...for the DCCs.

Pour moi, so far I've used the location of Ghost Tower of Inverness in the Duchy of Urnst for Mysterious Tower, the Mist Marshes for Legacy of the Savage..., and a location east of Hardby for Sunless Garden.

Anyone else use Greyhawk, or other world locations?
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by slimykuotoan »

Oh...and when I start Mysteries of the Drow, I'll base it under the Hellfurnaces.

Where else!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Greyhawk locations...

Post by Harley Stroh »

slimykuotoan wrote:Anyone else use Greyhawk, or other world locations?
My heart will always be with Greyhawk. I can't put into words how cool it is that Savage Kings will be set in Mist Marsh. :)

Sunless Garden could be set in Gnarley Forest or Welk Wood.

Volcano Caves could also end up in the Hellfurnaces.

The Blackguards Revenge could play off the Knighty of Furyondy, or the Knights of the Hart (vs. Iuz), placing it in Yatil Mountains.

Idylls of the Rat King, set outside of Hardby, maybe?

Emerald Cobra, definitely down by the Amedo Jungle, or Olman Isles...
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
waltero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Setting then all in Geoff

Post by waltero »

After we finish up our current campaign, I intend to start up an old-school Greyhawk campaign based on the Liberation of Geoff TSR module, but using DCC as the adventures. All of it will be set in Geoff. Here's my plan:

DCC' #'s 0, 1, 3, and 7 will be set along the Olvewater river in the north. The party will encounter these as they raft along the river. DCC7 will require a lot of reworking to fit into a river scenario but I have a plan...
DCC #10 in the Dim Forest at Hocholve
DCC #7 (possibly with Seed of Evil) at Midwood

By then the party will be fairly strong and hopefully will become agents of Duke Owen. Then begins the Liberation. The party will then head west again to strike out against the giants:

DCC #'s 12 and 12.5 in the Stark Mounds followed by an assault against the Fire Giant "King" at Pest's Crossing. I'll be making that one up myself, unless a DCC comes out before then!
DCC #'s 21 and 22 in the Crystalmists where the party faces the true power behind the giant assault.

Should be fun. Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll just put the current campaign on hold...
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

As a fan of all things Old Greyhawk, that is really cool. :)

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Drone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Drone »

Since I have a lot of players (8 at last count) and am running the Age of Worms out of Dungeon magazine, I run DCCs inbetween to level the party for the next segment. I've put the Mysterious Tower north of the town of Diamond Lake and the town of Carnelloe from Aerie of the Crow God a few days downstream from Greyhawk where it empties into the Nyr Dyv.
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Luck is probability taken personally.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Performing a little thread necromancy here...

So, have any of you creative DM's placed any more of the DCC adventures in good ol' Greyhawk for your gaming groups? If so, what locations have you identified for the DCC's?

There are some good suggested locations above, but there have been a lot of DCC's released since since this topic was first kicked around and I'm curious if more of the DCC line has been used in Greyhawk.

Thanks,

tacojohn4547
JZavoda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by JZavoda »

tacojohn4547 wrote:Performing a little thread necromancy here...

So, have any of you creative DM's placed any more of the DCC adventures in good ol' Greyhawk for your gaming groups? If so, what locations have you identified for the DCC's?

There are some good suggested locations above, but there have been a lot of DCC's released since since this topic was first kicked around and I'm curious if more of the DCC line has been used in Greyhawk.

Thanks,

tacojohn4547
I've just gotten into the DCC series but I've done a lot of campaigning in Greyhawk so everything I buy gets scavenged for that campaign. Of course the entire look of the modules shouts out the early monochromes which were all Greyhawk campaign adventures.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Sellswords of Punjar (and, really, all of the Punjar DCCs) is obviously set in the Great City of Greyhawk.

Which was obviously Gygax's version of Lankhmar.

I mean......duh.

:lol:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Guilty as charged. I spent several years of my youth wandering Greyhawk City.

//H

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

I've never adventured in the Greyhawk setting, but have always wanted to. I got into D&D when I was 13, which was '94, and started playing in Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms...
JZavoda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by JZavoda »

xredjasonx wrote:I've never adventured in the Greyhawk setting, but have always wanted to. I got into D&D when I was 13, which was '94, and started playing in Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms...
There are very different versions of the Greyhawk setting.

Originally it was published without a great deal of detail. This was to leave the campaign open for DMs to take control of it, but at the same time have the bare bones of a massive campaign setting they could rest their own designs upon. This framework approach made each DMs version unique. It required a great deal of imagination and design, but the reward was a personalized campaign. It forced DMs to be creative and became a thing of legend.

When we shared stories of Greyhawk back then it was always about a different version, usually greatly different, but at the same time we could refer back to the bare bones material and say "This was where we started, and this is what we did with it." So with the publication of the first Greyhawk folio the campaign was complete. It made for poor sales but a campaign that fired the imagination of thousands of DM's and their players.

The first modules, which introduced many key concepts, spells and races to D&D (such as the Drow) were seemingly just as bare bones. Most were taken from tournament scenarios, and they again forced DMs to expand upon them. The problem was this was just not what many DMs short of time, experience or imagination, were looking for in a campaign. The module G1, for example, is 8 pages long and many players remember it as nothing more than a combat scenario (a quick way to die if the giants are played as written). But that module is the doorway into a world and an entire culture; Greyhawk hill giants being more akin to early Saxons than the hulking cavemen of the 1st edition Monster Manual. That one adventure is the framework for the DM. The players are meant to campaign against this steading (fortification) of the Hill Giants, and not fight their way through it in one sitting, and the strength of the adventuring party and the vast strength of the giants forces the players to be cautious, to use their brains, to apply tactics, or to die.

This was the style of AD&D as it was introduced. To start an old-style Greyhawk campaign, a Gygax era Greyhawk, all you need to do is find a copy of the folio or world of Greyhawk boxed set and put everything else aside. Ignore every supplement and module, and then start creating. That is where a series like the DCCs would mesh in perfectly. You could drop them anywhere you felt they fit, and Greyhawk was so bare bones that fitting them in would be easy. It is still possible today to start a Greyhawk campaign exactly the way they were created thirty years ago. Whatever rules you like, 1st, 2nd 3rd, 4th, the rules are just how you move the bones around, but Greyhawk is all about how you flesh them out.

Personally I raid and pillage every module, supplement, movie, TV show or novel I come across for ideas. I would have been delirious to find the DCC line back then. For the most part I raided Judges Guild, Dark Tower moved to the edge of the Sea of Dust, the City Sate of the Invincible Overlord was my basis for the City of Greyhawk, but I'm glad now that I was forced to write most of my own adventures, flesh out my own campaign so that I could call the Greyhawk campaign truly my own.

I hope you have the chance to adventure in someones Greyhawk, or take your imagination in hand and start working on your own.
welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by welland_warrior »

I've been looking at Greyhawk recently re: situating Castle Whiterock.

I realize Cillamar is setup as a sort of frontier town, so in that context, does it make any sense to situate CW at the northern tip of the Realstream River in the March of Bissel? Or is that considered too "civilized" or not northern enough?

Alternatively, I was going to situate CW in The North in the FR, specifically near the Fell Pass.

Can someone give me their 2 cents re: Greyhawk?

Thanks
grodog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by grodog »

Since first seeing the module, I've planned to use The Forest of Lanterns as a sub-level in my version of Castle Greyhawk.

I haven't given a lot of thought yet as to other locations (since I own few DCCs, and the ones I do tacojohn is likely going to run sometime). That said, I've really liked what I've read of Punjar so far, and will definitely use some of the ideas therein to spice up Greyhawk City, Dyvers, or perhaps Rauxes (or Molag! :twisted: ) :D
grodog
---
Allan.
grodog@gmail.com
Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site
Matthew
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Matthew »

I definitely agree with you there, Grodog; Punjar the Tarnished Jewel was by far the best of the offerings that appeared on Free RPG day. I was very impressed.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Wow. That's high praise, Matthew, thank you.

By the way, a while ago (maybe 1 year? 2?), on the GiantitP forums you were kind enough to answer some of my more technical questions on cavalry tactics. Thank you!

//H

Matthew
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Matthew »

No problem on either count, Harley. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Punjar; it seemed to me that it conveyed just the right amount of detail to give a clear impression of the city without curtailing the freedom of the game master to build on the foundation. Plenty of interesting and inspirational ideas in that short supplement. I was left wanting to read more, and am quite tempted to pick up Sellswords of Punjar as a result. As for ancient and medieval cavalry tactics, I rarely pass up the opportunity to express my opinion on the subject. :D
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”