DCC Tournament Year Five

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

DCC Tournament Year Five

Post by Jengenritz »

Some information about this year's tournament:

please outline for me exactly how registration for the DCC tournament works?
Registration for the DCC tournament is like any other event at Gen Con with one exception: you only register for round 1 because rounds 2 and 3 are qualify-only. Advancing teams are announced at Gen Con.
I understand that you sign-up online when the date comes around, but does it fill-up right away?
In a word, yes. Yes it does. Traditionally we've sold out hella-fast, so don't dally if you'd like to get in.
That said, we have added several 1st round slots to the tournament...more people are going to have a chance to compete than ever before.
If you are lucky enough to get signed up, are you put together randomly at a table?
A few things to say about this:
- Ideally you'll have a team of four participants. This year we've arranged things with Gen Con so that one individual can sign his entire team up for a round. This is new and we're pretty stoked to finally have this worked out.

- Individuals without team-mates will get matched on-site to others without team-mates, to a minimum team size of 3 (so if you sign up and we can't find at least two others to be on your team, you can't participate). Believe it or not, we've had these ad hoc teams advance pretty far in years past.

- That said, it is in your best interests to get a team, download the Player's Pack when it becomes available, and review its contents. The Player's Pack will contain the pregenerated characters, tournament rules, and give the basic introduction to this year's tournament premise. Familiarity with the contents of the Player's Pack will accomplish two things: first, you'll be able to jump into the timed event faster; second, you'll have an advantage over other teams that did not prepare.

- The tournament will be held at the same location it was at last year: Union Station. This is NOT at the convention center; it's right next to the Omni Severin and the Crowne Plaza (it's attached to the Crowne Plaza).
Check out the lower-left corner of this map, the blow-up: http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/v1/cit ... maplrg.htm

- Finally, this needs to be said again: the tournament is going to be 4E. Familiarity with those rules will be crucial to success.

If there are any more questions about this year's tournament, feel free to post them.
See everyone in August!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: DCC Tournament Year Five

Post by fathead »

Yes, I have a question - given the recent financial troubles of GenCon LLC, will Peter be able to afford your services as hall monitor again this year?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

What I want to know is whether the Superfan will be tapped to do the maps this year. I'd be happy to do it.....in fact, with all the good mappers out there, I would be HONORED to be considered as Goodman Games map lackey.

Just let me know! I exist to serve Goodman Games (bowing, backing away from Joe's throne)

Ben "superfan" Waxman :mrgreen:
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Ben,

We're still weighing some options about the battlemaps this year. Rest assured that if we go with pre-printed ones, you'll be the first asked to make 'em up for us.
given the recent financial troubles of GenCon LLC, will Peter be able to afford your services as hall monitor again this year?
Little known fact: the cause of the recent financial troubles was a failed attempt to clone me, thus ensuring proper monitoring of halls for all Gen Con.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote: We're still weighing some options about the battlemaps this year. Rest assured that if we go with pre-printed ones, you'll be the first asked to make 'em up for us.
Hmmm...alright, I'll bite...what are you considering?
Jengenritz wrote:
given the recent financial troubles of GenCon LLC, will Peter be able to afford your services as hall monitor again this year?
Little known fact: the cause of the recent financial troubles was a failed attempt to clone me, thus ensuring proper monitoring of halls for all Gen Con.
Why didn't you say so? We already have a cloning machine (it's on loan from Calvin & Hobbes). We'll be registering for this years tournament as "Clan Yeoman 1", "Clan Yeoman 2", and "Clan Yeoman 3".
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Options.

Heh.

I'll merely say that we're deciding between old school, really old school, and avante garde.

Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Whew, I made it in. It was pretty hairy there for a moment. I'm in section 1-10. I entered by myself, so I'll probably be part of one of those ad hoc deals.
Mongol Warlord: Dungeon Master, what is best in life?
Dungeon Master: To crush the characters, see their sheets pile before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players.
Mongol Warlord: That is good!
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Excellent. Whizbang Dustyboots can tell you that some of those teams are a hoot to play with. When we get closer to the event, I'll start trying to collate some of the ad hoc teams early, maybe save us all a bit of bother at the event itself.

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:

Options.

Heh.

I'll merely say that we're deciding between old school, really old school, and avante garde.
Would "really old school" be having the players sketch out the maps themselves on sheets of worn-out graph paper? ;)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

fathead wrote:
Jengenritz wrote:

Options.

Heh.

Would "really old school" be having the players sketch out the maps themselves on sheets of worn-out graph paper? ;)
Graph paper? You techno-geek! True old school is taking white paper, staining it with coffee/tea... and baking it in the oven to get the parchment look and feel to it.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Hamakto wrote:True old school is taking white paper, staining it with coffee/tea...
Naw...that would be the character sheets...with sections of the paper worn through from years of eraser marks. I have a friend who keeps an old character sheet from my first campaign (that I ran when I was in college)...man, is that character sheet ratty.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Jengenritz wrote:Excellent. Whizbang Dustyboots can tell you that some of those teams are a hoot to play with. When we get closer to the event, I'll start trying to collate some of the ad hoc teams early, maybe save us all a bit of bother at the event itself.
That's a good idea. If we can get a group together, we can look over the pregen PCs and start strategizing. If there are any other solo people, now's the time to speak up! :)
Mongol Warlord: Dungeon Master, what is best in life?
Dungeon Master: To crush the characters, see their sheets pile before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players.
Mongol Warlord: That is good!
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I'll go one step further...I'll start a thread for ad hoc teams.

EDIT: That thread is here.

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

fathead wrote:Would "really old school" be having the players sketch out the maps themselves on sheets of worn-out graph paper? ;)
When I started, before any of us could find graph paper, we took lined binder paper and drew in the vertical lines. That's old school.

And I still have a couple pads of the original graph paper we found, albeit with only a few sheets left per pad. When we're retired and can manage to get as many of us as are still in the loop and alive back together for a game, I'm busting these out... :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by welland_warrior »

Ok, so I managed to get registered for a DCC Tournament session but I am solo. Now what??? lol

Is there any way to meet the other people in my session?

Exactly what are players expected to bring with them?

Thanks!
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Is there any way to meet the other people in my session?
Click here and meet the other people in your round!
Exactly what are players expected to bring with them?
The Player's Pack will give this information when it's posted online.

In general you should bring and/or be prepared with:

- your own dice (although an oversize d20 will be provided for you for all d20 rolls...and NOT one of the ones we used last year).
- your event tickets
- your team mates
- the copy of the Player's Pack that you had previously printed out and studied (this will include the pregenerated characters)
- your team name (even if it's Four Guys Who Just Met)
- having a copy of the rulebooks would not be a bad idea (although all Judge rulings are final)

Check the Player's Pack for any additional material that may be requested.

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Man...I'm all geeked out about the tournament again...only a month away!!

Do we have a title yet? "The Curse of the Warbringer"?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Patience, my good man! Save your strength...you'll need it for when the Player's Pack comes out in the next few weeks (which will also contain the title).

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:Patience, my good man!
Bah!
Jengenritz wrote: Save your strength...you'll need it for when the Player's Pack comes out in the next few weeks (which will also contain the title).
So...if I check back here ever day, do you think the Player's Pack will show up faster?!

:refresh refresh refresh
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

fathead: Do we have a title yet?
How about: "The PCs all die!" That sounds like a good title to me! :wink: :twisted:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Rick Maffei wrote:
fathead: Do we have a title yet?
How about: "The PCs all die!" That sounds like a good title to me! :wink: :twisted:
I think that title has been used before...isn't that the tentative title every year? ;)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Sorry. We'll amend that, then.

"The PCs All Suffer Hideously, And Then Die!"

Yes, I like that one much better. :twisted: :D
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Mike_Ferguson wrote:Sorry. We'll amend that, then.

"The PCs All Suffer Hideously, And Then Die!"
Ha. ;) After playing last year's adventure, I'd have to say that slugging through the 1st round of the tournament with a 0th level character qualifies as suffering hideously...

Seriously though - looking forward to the tourney! (although our group still hasn't played 4E yet...we play our first game next week).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Having read all three rounds, I think "Ow, stop stabbing me! Ow, it hurts!" might be a good title. :twisted:

Should I present my halflings vs. alley cats misdirection again this year? 4e alley cats are even more deadly!

Any guesses from the Oracle Fathead for this year?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:Any guesses from the Oracle Fathead for this year?
I'm gonna stick with my original prophesy - a high level (as in the 20th level range) 4E adventure. The event description sounds like that could be possible. I have to say though, if that is the case, it will be a helluva challenge.
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”