GenCon - Dungeon Crawl Wednesday!

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Mr. Murlock
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mr. Murlock »

I think my gaming group would like to join you, especially if you are meeting on Wednesday night (this is our usual night to game anyway, and we are all located in Indy). I think four of us will be there for sure, but it is possible that we could bring a fifth player. Would that be cool?

We are currently playing Whiterock now, so I think we will be ready for a heaping helping of DCC in August!

I think we would also like to get into the GenCon DCC tournament as a group. When do we have to sign up for it? Do we just go through the usual route of the GenCon events packet?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Mr. Murlock wrote:I think my gaming group would like to join you, especially if you are meeting on Wednesday night (this is our usual night to game anyway, and we are all located in Indy). I think four of us will be there for sure, but it is possible that we could bring a fifth player. Would that be cool?
That would be just fine. When GenCon event reg gets closer, I'll push this thread back up and give everyone the event info. If the 5th player comes along, we'll find room.
Mr. Murlock wrote: I think we would also like to get into the GenCon DCC tournament as a group. When do we have to sign up for it? Do we just go through the usual route of the GenCon events packet?
When GenCon event registration opens, grab the tickets for the time slot that you want (easier said than done). They should have the event list up prior to registration opening (usually through online searches or an excel file download on the GenCon forums).

Tournament player packets are generally available early August on the Goodman Games website.

The DCC tournament is a 4 player event.

Ummm...that should be enough info to get you started. Do a search on these forums, and you'll find some great discussions on past tournaments, tips for registering, etc.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
TheDM
Ill-Fated Peasant

I'll Run.

Post by TheDM »

Am I too late to get in on this dance? I'd love to run, especially if it were Wednesday night. Beats blowing $20 at the arcade in Circle Center Mall. :D
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: I'll Run.

Post by fathead »

TheDM wrote:Am I too late to get in on this dance? I'd love to run, especially if it were Wednesday night. Beats blowing $20 at the arcade in Circle Center Mall. :D
It's never too late. We'll try to fit everyone in the KFG ballroom...but if we can't scrounge enough tables, we'll send those to Open Gaming instead. Either way, we'll find room.

Some will sign up to the event that I have listed under KFG, while other players we'll gather on these forums. If there aren't enough players, we'll seat GMs at other tables.

What I'm saying is that we'll accomodate anyone that shows up. ;)

What event would you like to run, and which edition?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I'm kicking this thread back up to the top. I'd still like to hear from the other GMs as to what games they'd be interested in running, and more players are welcome to post their interest.

For the GMs - I'm offering to make additional copies of my adventure, if they'd like to run it. What I think would be neat though, is if someone picked up a copy of Harley Stroh's new adventure that will be available at this year's Free RPG Day. It's supposed to be Goodman Games' first 4E adventure, and I'm sure that it would conveniently fit into a four hour time slot. I believe that Superfan is making Dundjinni maps for that as well (correct me if I'm wrong).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
drunkcleric
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by drunkcleric »

If you have room my group and I would love to play Wednesday night. There will be 4-5 of us there in time. Our group name from past dcc tourneys is fish in a barrel.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Pending other commitments, I'd love to run a DCC table.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Harley Stroh wrote:Pending other commitments, I'd love to run a DCC table.
That would be awesome.
drunkcleric wrote:If you have room my group and I would love to play Wednesday night. There will be 4-5 of us there in time. Our group name from past dcc tourneys is fish in a barrel.
Definitely. We can always make room for more players.

I'll update the first post.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

As I hear back from the other GMs, I'll add the title of what they'll be running and which edition of D&D (I'll put all of this back in the 1st post). Before GenCon, I'll also add descriptions as well, so that our fellow forumites can pick which adventure they'd like to participate in.

Aside from Harley's new adventure coming out in June, here are some other DCC suggestions that will fit nicely into a 4 hour time slot:

DCC # 51.5: The Sinister Secret of Whiterock
DCC # 0: Legends are Made, Not Born
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Message for prospective GMs

Post by fathead »

We have two options here:

1. play in the open gaming area. We won't be guaranteed tables, but we won't have to hassle with registration or getting descriptions ahead of time

2. register with GenCon. the events will all be listed in the event booklet for Wednesday gaming. We'll be guaranteed seating, and will probably generate a larger crowd than we could just on the boards.

If we go with option 2, I'll need to start getting event descriptions and titles from everyone. I can still get the events listed as not costing anything (since it's part of the Wednesday gaming).

So...thoughts?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

fathead wrote:As I hear back from the other GMs, I'll add the title of what they'll be running and which edition of D&D (I'll put all of this back in the 1st post). Before GenCon, I'll also add descriptions as well, so that our fellow forumites can pick which adventure they'd like to participate in.

Aside from Harley's new adventure coming out in June, here are some other DCC suggestions that will fit nicely into a 4 hour time slot:

DCC # 51.5: The Sinister Secret of Whiterock
DCC # 0: Legends are Made, Not Born
Celtar and I are currently discussing what edition we will be playing for the Wednesday night events.

I am fairly against 4e right now because I have not seen anything that I really feel is 4e in what they have shown. I will not speak for Celtar, but he is a bit more open about it than I am.

At what point do we have to announce the edition? Or can we go with a generic Dwarven Forge DnD adventure?
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Hamakto wrote: Celtar and I are currently discussing what edition we will be playing for the Wednesday night events.

I am fairly against 4e right now because I have not seen anything that I really feel is 4e in what they have shown. I will not speak for Celtar, but he is a bit more open about it than I am.

At what point do we have to announce the edition? Or can we go with a generic Dwarven Forge DnD adventure?
I don't think you necessarily have to pick an edition...just saying that you're running a D&D game will be sufficient.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Wyrm
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wyrm »

Nova Wastrels (at least some of them) from Northern Virginia would like to join you at the Ram on Wednesday evening. We're driving in but should be available by 1700 or so.

I think we'd prefer to play, but Don and I are available to GM if necessary.

We met Harley and guys at DnD Experience this year, and will be signing up for the tournament again.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Wyrm wrote:Nova Wastrels (at least some of them) from Northern Virginia would like to join you at the Ram on Wednesday evening. We're driving in but should be available by 1700 or so.
Cool. I have a game running earlier at the RAM, but we won't be able to organize anything else there (I think the owner wants to make room for paying customers for dinner). We'll be running tables elsewhere (probably starting around 8:00 or so).
Wyrm wrote: I think we'd prefer to play, but Don and I are available to GM if necessary.
If you'd prefer to play, I'll put you down as such...I think we will have enough GMs to cover it. Bring an adventure though (just in case I need to recruit you).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Aeltrin
Gongfarmer

Post by Aeltrin »

fathead wrote:
Wyrm wrote:Nova Wastrels (at least some of them) from Northern Virginia would like to join you at the Ram on Wednesday evening. We're driving in but should be available by 1700 or so.
Cool. I have a game running earlier at the RAM, but we won't be able to organize anything else there (I think the owner wants to make room for paying customers for dinner). We'll be running tables elsewhere (probably starting around 8:00 or so).
Wyrm wrote: I think we'd prefer to play, but Don and I are available to GM if necessary.
If you'd prefer to play, I'll put you down as such...I think we will have enough GMs to cover it. Bring an adventure though (just in case I need to recruit you).
This is the other Wastrel, I understand that you are looking for space on Wednesday evening for 8pm start and the Ram is a different (earlier) event. We will be looking to play that evening and will stand by for location. Let us know what else we can do to help. Really look forward to Gencon -- and especially DCC event!
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Aeltrin wrote:I understand that you are looking for space on Wednesday evening for 8pm start and the Ram is a different (earlier) event. We will be looking to play that evening and will stand by for location.
Sounds good. I'm trying to get a generic listing for the event (something like "5 tables. All dungeon crawls. Hosted by fans of the Dungeon Crawl Classics line."). Hopefully, they'll go for it. Otherwise, we'll either need to get the event descriptions to them or just host it in an open gaming area.
Aeltrin wrote: Let us know what else we can do to help.
Will do. Thanks for offering!
Aeltrin wrote:Really look forward to Gencon -- and especially DCC event!
;) Tell me about it.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Wyrm
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wyrm »

fathead wrote: ....
Sounds good...it's never a hardship to pick up an adventure. 8)

We'll keep an eye open here for word of what to look for in ordering an event....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Just a quick update:

Registration for my Wednesday afternoon game at the RAM will start April 11th. If you're interested, check back here...I'll post a link. Registration is pretty informal (on the GenCon forums).

Still waiting to hear from the GenCon folks regarding our Wednesday night Dungeon Crawl event.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Wyrm
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wyrm »

BTW, any suggestions on module level?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Wyrm wrote:BTW, any suggestions on module level?
Na...just pick out something that you could run if you need to...levels don't matter much. Keep in mind, we're looking to fit the adventure into a 4 hour time slot, so anything that could be completed in the time frame is preferrable.

The adventure that I'll be running is 8th (around that...I'll need to look at the 4E books in June before I commit to a level range...want to make sure that the creatures I'd like to toss in will be able to conform to that).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: GenCon - Dungeon Crawl Wednesday!

Post by fathead »

For anyone interested, here is the link to my 4th edition dungeon crawl at the RAM on Wednesday afternoon:

http://community.gencon.com/forums/p/15 ... spx#176087

If you want to sign up, just post!

NOTE: this is different from the Dungeon Crawl Wednesday night event that we've been talking about in this thread (although I plan to run the same adventure).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Just a quick update:

We have 5 tables set aside for us, and registration will be through the GenCon event reg system. It's a free event, so it won't cost you a thing. Prior to event registration, I'll post the event number here so that everyone can register for the event.

The event description will be something along these lines:

Dungeon Crawl Wednesday

5 tables. All dungeon crawls. Hosted by fans of the Dungeon Crawl Classics line. Sign up, listen to the event descriptions, and pick the table that interests you.

GMs - send me a private message confirming that you'll be there, and what you plan to run. Since we are going through the event reg system, we now have 30 potential players showing up...so I want to make sure we'll be able to accomodate them.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Wyrm
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wyrm »

fathead wrote:Just a quick update:

We have 5 tables set aside for us, and registration will be through the GenCon event reg system. It's a free event, so it won't cost you a thing. Prior to event registration, I'll post the event number here so that everyone can register for the event.

Dungeon Crawl Wednesday

5 tables. All dungeon crawls. Hosted by fans of the Dungeon Crawl Classics line. Sign up, listen to the event descriptions, and pick the table that interests you.

GMs - send me a private message confirming that you'll be there, and what you plan to run. Since we are going through the event reg system, we now have 30 potential players showing up...so I want to make sure we'll be able to accomodate them.
Is this for the RAM session in the afternoon, or for the evening session?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Wyrm wrote:
fathead wrote:Just a quick update:

Dungeon Crawl Wednesday

Is this for the RAM session in the afternoon, or for the evening session?
The evening session.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Wyrm
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wyrm »

Excellent, we'll keep an eye open for the registration.

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”