Gen(ghis) Con or Bust!

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Gen(ghis) Con or Bust!

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

I can't make it to Gen Con, Indy this year ... so I'm going to the OTHER Gen Con: Gen(ghis) Con!

Okay, so actually it is just 6 or so hours away for me and my group. We're looking forward to making some hookups with Denver Gamers, but most of all we're looking forward to playing in DCC ???: Maze of the Oracle!

Expect a detailed playtest report when we get back. (With 6 of us taking notes, we should be able to remember something of merit!) Don't read the thread if you don't want spoilers. Muhahahahahahahaha.

:roll:
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Some spoilers. Not a ton, but just enough that it might disappoint some folks. Don't read it if you don't want to.

My group drove up from Alamosa. Most of us got in Friday, with the last of our crew showing up 2:AM Saturday. Our first con event was DCC ??: Maze of the Oracle, and .... folks it was awesome. Harley explained that Maze was to be Goodman Games FIRST 4E DCC, but that he was running it as a 3.5 game to check for continuity. I think he put it like this: "I want to see where it doesn't makes sense or where you get bored."

Bearing in mind that Harley told us that anything and everything might change once the editors convert it to 4E, here are some of the salient details.

It's a DCC for first level characters. It will be given away FREE at FreeRPG Day in June! It is ALSO the intro adventure for the Gen Con tournament!!!!

The story centers around us, the heroes, attempting to rescue our village from an unknown menace. Sailing a magical barge into the heart of winter storm, we ended up inside some sea caves. We faced down some monsters, and a cult devoted to a godling that fancied himself the half-divine son of the God of War. Needless to day, before the day was over we had disabused him of that notion, but only at great cost.

The event was for 6 players, but we had 8 at the table before the game began, with a ninth showing up just as we got started. Some VERY interesting table dynamics, let me tell you. Fun dynamics, but they got a little out of hand at the end. We were standing in the maze, arguing with a pair of elf PCs who had stolen some gems that we needed for an idol, when our arguing attracted the attention of the villain.

:oops:

He pounded one our PCs the first round, dropping him with a single blow. Then he went after the rest of the party. The rest of the encounter was a tactical combat nightmare/puzzle, with PCs fleeing left and right. We finally rallied and got our act together, just in time to pull off a victory.

Warning to PCs playing this game: You will need to be creative in the final battle! Slugging it out won't do when the bad guy can drop you in a single hit. The environment around you will be crucial to winning the battle.

There, I've said enough.

Obviously, we had a great time. We even had the chance to hook up with Harley Sunday morning and he was cool enough to help us out with character generation for our tournament competition.

Thank you for an awesome event. I hope Genghis Con has the foresight bring you all back next year, because the entire Alamosa crew is coming to play more DCCs.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Save,

It was great meeting you and your group. Thanks for making time to play --- it's always most fun when the players are enthusiastic. See you next year, same con!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”