Question about DCC 12.5 The Iron Crypt of the Heretics

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

docplutonium
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Question about DCC 12.5 The Iron Crypt of the Heretics

Post by docplutonium »

Hey All;

Question please. I am currently putting my heroes through DCC 12.5 and in it it says that the Ebon Egg starts at 30' Long and 20' Wide. At 100' Long it gains sentience and will go after the heroes once they open the vault.

Well, if I figure this correctly, the Egg has 70' to grow and if it grows at 1' for every 10 HP of "Violence" that means 700 HP of violence within 100' of it will make the egg come alive.

Ummm...

Does that include "violence" against constructs ? I am asking because the heroes entered the Library. And in there are 20x15 hp of "possessed" books, a master tome of 52 HP and two smothering rugs of 168 HP each which equals...

300 + 52 + 336 = 688 HP

That leaves 120 HP left over before the Egg becomes sentient and starts to eat everything.

Oy boy... And if the Egg becomes sentient, wouldn't it start to eat everything starting with the driders in the vault and just go from there? I don't think the vault would hold it at that point... Wouldn't it more or less just become this MASSIVE black hole that starts to render everything around it null and void ?

Especially if it can then move at 60'/Round ?

Because if it does, then the heroes are in trouble because they took about 160HP of damage fighting in the library and that would CERTAINLY mean that the Egg is now sentient.

If anyone could shed some tight on this from Goodman Games, I would MOST appreciate it, thanks
Doc
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Question about DCC 12.5 The Iron Crypt of the Heretics

Post by GnomeBoy »

Speaking as a lay person, I'd say use the numbers loosely as a rough guide, if at all, and just make events as dramatic as you can. Throw in the sentient, growing void at whatever point it seems like it'll have the biggest impact.

When I played through that module a few years back, I don't remember what clues we had as to the nature of the 'mass', and when we discovered it in the cave I jumped into it, under the impression that was an energy field that held some malevolent force inside.

Turns out there was nothing in there.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”