Legacy of the Savage Kings -- My Castles & Crusades try

Discussion of DCC modules published under 1E and C&C rules by Goodman Games, as well as conversions to other systems by fans.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

here, here! the holloway art is awesome. need more of that man
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I agree, but I'm not just talking about him. For the record I'm praising these fellows:

Ian Armstrong
Jim Holloway
Doug Kovacs (I love the black dragon fight!)
William McAusland

Also, the back cover art by Leo Winstead is in my top ten pieces of color DCC art.
ragnar1965
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ragnar1965 »

Ok, with the adventure complete and a couple of months to take the whole thing in, here are my thoughts. This was bar-none the best single adventure I've gone through. Only the 3 parts of the Desert of Desolation (which right there makes it an unfair comparison) have this one beat out of the adventures I've gone through. The fights were rough, but not unwinable. Puzzles (I suck at puzzles solo) were simply a minor inconvenience for me Probably a major one for Jedi, who had to listen to me fumble around and try to come up with an answer! Only found the one pair of undead, which is good. As stated before I HATE undead. There was wilderness and dungeon, infiltration (Again, not my forte, but Zach was awesome there), and some very tough mobs. A giant croc that I wanted Ohh so bad :cry: Alas, it was not meant to be. Harley, I can't wait to hit another of your modules. Thanks for a great play.

Ragnar
Forgiveness is between you and your maker. I'm just responsible for the meeting.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

:) Thanks, Ragnar. It means the world to me that you enjoyed it. And I had a blast reading your group's episode recaps. I was terrified things would go badly --- but you 3 pulled it out in the end.

I've been dreaming of a sequel that falls between 17 & 17.5. Maybe if you and Jedi are free, I can talk you guys into playtesting it. :twisted:

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Muhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

tacojohn4547
ragnar1965
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ragnar1965 »

Harley, I've spoken to Jedi, and we would love to do it. There is only one potential snag...Jedi doesn't do 3.5. He doesn't like it, never did, never will. He converted Savage Kings on the fly to C&C. If that is workable for you, then we'd love to do it. If, however, your looking for a strict 3.5 playtest, then we probably wouldn't be the best ones to do it. I hate to say that, but we want to be fair to you. Let us know.

Ragnar
Forgiveness is between you and your maker. I'm just responsible for the meeting.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

ragnar1965 wrote:Harley, I've spoken to Jedi, and we would love to do it. There is only one potential snag...Jedi doesn't do 3.5. He doesn't like it, never did, never will. He converted Savage Kings on the fly to C&C. If that is workable for you, then we'd love to do it. If, however, your looking for a strict 3.5 playtest, then we probably wouldn't be the best ones to do it. I hate to say that, but we want to be fair to you. Let us know.

Ragnar
tacojon wrote:Muhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

More soon. We'll be in touch.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

A question for JediOre (and Ragnar):

JediOre, have you read War of the Witch Queen, DCC #17.5? If not, how would you like to play through it (under 1st Edition AD&D, of course)?

I'm considering running DCC #17.5 at Gorilla Con 4 in March. I will be making a deciion, on what I'm going to run for the con, over the next several weeks. At this point, it is very likely that I'll be running a session of this DCC for the con.

I don't know whether you've given any more thought to attending the convention, but I'd encourage you (and Ragnar) to try to make it. For you, JediOre, it would be a chance to get to play instead of DM.

tacojohn4547
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Hey TacoJohn4547,

Yes I own the module & have read it. I can do an outstanding job of being ignorant however! Just ask my friends....

Ragnar1965 hasn't had the chance to even see the module.

I'm talking to the mrs. about making a weekend event to Pittsburg but I don't know if it is a go between work and such. I can't speak for Ragnar1965, so I'll have to have him post concerning this.

I think it would be great to go!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Taco,

I'd love to get you full-sized versions of the cards in time for the con...

//H

tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

JediOre wrote:
Yes I own the module & have read it.
:cry:

Well, since that's the case, and if you happen to make it to GorillaCon4, I'll just have to run something else for you in which to play. I have an adventue or two I could polish up... :wink:

JediOre wrote:
I'm talking to the mrs. about making a weekend event to Pittsburg but I don't know if it is a go between work and such. I can't speak for Ragnar1965, so I'll have to have him post concerning this.

I think it would be great to go!
Amen, bro. Even if you could only drive over for Saturday, it would be a fun day. How far away are you from Pittsburg again? FWIW, I may drive down early Saturday morning myself (unless Harley can make it, in which case we might drive down together on Friday).

Harley wrote:
Taco,

I'd love to get you full-sized versions of the cards in time for the con...
Thanks, Harley. Let's talk more about this offline (email, phone, smoke signals, whatever). As you know, I've become a real stickler for good visual aids, so yeah this is probably a 'must do' if I am going to run DCC #17.5. And, if it goes well, who knows...maybe I could run a session or two of this at Indy? :wink:

tacojohn4547
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

tacojohn4547 wrote:As you know, I've become a real stickler for good visual aids, so yeah this is probably a 'must do' if I am going to run DCC #17.5. And, if it goes well, who knows...maybe I could run a session or two of this at Indy?
It would be my honor.

//H

ragnar1965
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ragnar1965 »

I don't know whether you've given any more thought to attending the convention, but I'd encourage you (and Ragnar) to try to make it. For you, JediOre, it would be a chance to get to play instead of DM.
At this point, I don't see any reason why I couldn't make it. Sounds like fun. It's tentatively on my schedule. We'll see how things play out.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I thought the folks who has followed this thread and the adventures of Ragnar1965's PCs would like to know we started another module.

He chose from the following:

Fane of the Witch King by Necromancer Games
Egg of the Phoenix (I12) by TSR
Cairn of the Skeleton King by Piped Piper Publishing
DCC #23 -- The Sunken Ziggurat
DCC #26 -- The Scaly God
and Palace of Shadows by Goodman Games.

He picked Fane of the Witch King. When I start typing up his experiences over on Necromancer's forums, I'll post a link unless the folks at Goodman Games would prefer I don't.
ragnar1965
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ragnar1965 »

No, gleaning what he knew about me, Jedi picked Fane of the Witch King. Just wanted to clear up that little tidbit.

Return to “DCC Modules - Alternate Systems (1E, C&C, etc.)”