DCC #12.5 The Iron Crypt of the Heretic (C&C Style)

Discussion of DCC modules published under 1E and C&C rules by Goodman Games, as well as conversions to other systems by fans.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Arakor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC #12.5 The Iron Crypt of the Heretic (C&C Style)

Post by Arakor »

Well, Dragonmeet has been and gone, and I've a preliminary summary of the C&C conversion that I ran ...
I had an absolute blast running "The Iron Crypt" using Castles & Crusades, it really is a fun system.

I didn't quite achieve the TPK that the scenario promised but there were several occasions where I came close:

Saebl the Half-Elven Bard (played by Mark Cason) - tried using his Boots of Speed to bypass an entire room of Deathblade traps, only to run straight into a Symbol of Power Word:Stun which caused him to stop right in the path of one. One *snick-snack* later, the resulting failed poison save left him down with a CON of 1.

Ergard the Human Paladin (played by Pete Ashworth) - stepping to a room to examine a corpse only to be hit by 6 levels of Energy Drain followed immediately by an 11d6 Chain Lightning. He ended up looking like a singed furball.

Karn the Dwarven Cleric (played by Chris B) - attempted to Raise the body of the young acolyte found outside only to have it fail. The stream of religious invective that ensued was most inspired.
Gareth Larter
Secretary & WebTyrant | http://www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk/
SysAdmin | http://www.deniableresources.co.uk/
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Hahahah!

Great story! Iron Crypt is a great adventure for a convention or one-shot game day style event. An absolute blast to run as DM/GM/CK. I ran it six times in 2006.

Of course I'm biased. Duh! This is the Iron Crypt of the Heretics, after all! :D

Were you able to use the 1E conversion of Iron Crypt, or did you use the 3.5 version and convert to C&C yourself?

tacojohn4547
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

... the boots of speed anecdote is priceless.

I hope that, despite the near deaths, the players had a good time.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Arakor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arakor »

tacojohn4547 wrote:Were you able to use the 1E conversion of Iron Crypt, or did you use the 3.5 version and convert to C&C yourself?
3.5 Version but I converted it to C&C myself. I have to confess that I'm not 100% certain that said conversion was correct but what the hey?

Harley:

The Boots of Speed incident was nasty. I gave the player a WIS check to spot the Symbol in the darkness, followed by a DEX save to avoid/jump over it. A natural 1 on the DEX save resulted so cue one stunned half-elf in direct line of the trap.

The players finally got past the corpse of Black Dougal (and the subsequent Energy Drain/Chain Lightning trap) when the Wizard remembered that she had Knock memorised.

All the players had fun and they were laughing at each other's misfortune. They certainly didn't like the Master Tome, especially when it greeted them with a Magic Missile to the kisser each. The player of the Wizard decided "stuff this" and lobbed a 12d6 fireball into the library.
Gareth Larter
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

3.5 Version but I converted it to C&C myself. I have to confess that I'm not 100% certain that said conversion was correct but what the hey?
I believe that is one of the beauties of the C&C system. The base C&C rule set is so malleable that you can fold, spindle or mutilate it any which way and it still works pretty well. Likewise, you can add complexity back into it as your tastes dictate (skills, feats, PrCs) without causing lots of problems.

RE: Master Tome - I'm not sure that any of the groups I ran through the cript actually fought the Master Tome. Several of the groups didn't get that far before having a TPK. :twisted:

I think there was only one group out of the six that even opened the door to the library. As soon as the Master Tome started casting his first spell at them, the retreated back out of the library. Some doors are better left closed!!!

Just out of curiosity, do you think your C&C players would venture back into the Iron Crypt, should the need arise?

tacojohn4547
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Arakor wrote: The Boots of Speed incident was nasty. I gave the player a WIS check to spot the Symbol in the darkness, followed by a DEX save to avoid/jump over it. A natural 1 on the DEX save resulted so cue one stunned half-elf in direct line of the trap.
Heh. Now I don't feel so bad. I can almost hear all the players shouting in agony as that "1" rolled up.
Arakor wrote: They certainly didn't like the Master Tome, especially when it greeted them with a Magic Missile to the kisser each. The player of the Wizard decided "stuff this" and lobbed a 12d6 fireball into the library.
Awesome. I love the Wizard's Solution when it works. :twisted:

Nicely played. What a fun time. If I ever make it over to Gen Con UK, I'll make sure to track down the PGC.
tacojohn4547 wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you think your C&C players would venture back into the Iron Crypt, should the need arise?
Taco, you're an evil, evil man.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Arakor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arakor »

tacojohn4547 wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you think your C&C players would venture back into the Iron Crypt, should the need arise?
I think that if I get the chance to run it again, I'll make some revisions to my conversion. But yes, I think that the C&C players would must likely play again
Gareth Larter
Arakor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arakor »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Arakor wrote: The Boots of Speed incident was nasty. I gave the player a WIS check to spot the Symbol in the darkness, followed by a DEX save to avoid/jump over it. A natural 1 on the DEX save resulted so cue one stunned half-elf in direct line of the trap.
Heh. Now I don't feel so bad. I can almost hear all the players shouting in agony as that "1" rolled up.
Heheheh ... the anguish was almost palatable ...
Harley Stroh wrote:
Arakor wrote: They certainly didn't like the Master Tome, especially when it greeted them with a Magic Missile to the kisser each. The player of the Wizard decided "stuff this" and lobbed a 12d6 fireball into the library.
Awesome. I love the Wizard's Solution when it works. :twisted:

Nicely played. What a fun time. If I ever make it over to Gen Con UK, I'll make sure to track down the PGC.
Yeah, Wizards tend be direct and to the point. The Phoenix Games Club doesn't usually send a delegation to GenCon UK but that may change this year. Instead we tend to support Dragonmeet which takes place the first weekend of December.
Gareth Larter

Return to “DCC Modules - Alternate Systems (1E, C&C, etc.)”