DC checks for modules

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

bille
Ill-Fated Peasant

DC checks for modules

Post by bille »

Hi,
I am the proud owner of the first four 4th Ed modules and can't wait to run them, they look fantastic.
One question though. In the the light of all the skill challenge and DC errata made by WotC(which I assume was made after the modules went to press) should I adjust the DC levels in the modules accordingly, i.e down by 5?

Apologies if this had already been answered, couldn't find it.

All the best
Bill
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: DC checks for modules

Post by Jengenritz »

You hit the nail on the head. The lowering-of-DCs errata came after these modules were off to print.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Bill,

Yes, you should. This first batch of adventures were done and into layout *long* before the errata made it to us. Go over them with a eye for for this, and you should be fine.

//H

Edit: Ninja'd by Adrian.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
bille
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bille »

Thanks for the fast reply guys. I'm about to run Diagora's dungeon in a Frogotten Realms setting. It will be the first time any of my players (all warhammer fans) have played D&D and I think it will be a great way to allay their fears that D&D is just a kill the monsters and steal their stuff game (althoguh a bit of that never does any harm of course!). I love the way that you have managed to present a first level adventure that has an epic feel to it (gush gush). Anyway, looking forward to supporting your line in the future.
All the best
Bill
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

bille wrote: a Frogotten Realms setting
That'd be awesome.

Toadminster.....Ribbizt Do'Urden....Croakmyr....Tadpoledale....the possibilities are endless....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

*spitting up his coffee*

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

*Puts on a hat, just so he can take it off*

...does the whole quest lie in what he 'oughten' do in those Realms...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Toadminster.....Ribbizt Do'Urden....Croakmyr....Tadpoledale....the possibilities are endless....
(smacks forehead)
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
bille
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bille »

No, the way I'm introducing it is that the characters are involved as interested spectatiors in some high level negotiations between Luruar and the dwarves of Adbar about coming together to reform an old alliance against the growing threat of Netheril (all the characters are pregens, get them straight into he action, with a variety of backgrounds that lead to differing views on how the negotiations should play out). Then, in the middle of the negotations, Diagora's Dungeon kicks in, as the diplomats from both sides fall victim to the hook and the PCs have different ideas (all wrong) about the source of the curse.

Light the blue touch paper, stand back and enjoy the show!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

That is a brilliant application, actually. I can't wait to hear how it goes down.

//H

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:*spitting up his coffee*

//H

(Dare I ask?) In laughter or revulsion?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Laughter. I had visions of a sword-n-sorcery Toon campaign ...

//H

AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

Harley Stroh wrote:Bill,

Yes, you should. This first batch of adventures were done and into layout *long* before the errata made it to us. Go over them with a eye for for this, and you should be fine.

//H

Edit: Ninja'd by Adrian.
Should I lower ALL DCs I find in all cases or only specific ones?

Thanks!
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Static DCs (secret doors being DC 20 to find, Athletics to scale a surface) weren't changed by the errata (IIRC, somebody correct me if I'm wrong), and should be accurate.

DCs that scale to level (like DCs for traps and skill challenges) were changed, and should be lowered by 5.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”