Finally: New DCC releases!

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Finally: New DCC releases!

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel like someone who has been through a drought and finally sees blessed rain clouds on the horizon.

And Clyde Caldwell. It does not get any better than that.

Just bask in the joy. Bask in the joy.

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Finally: New DCC releases!

Post by jason.richardson »

Wow. My eyes are really drawn to that cover. I've always liked Clyde Caldwell. I love the cover he did for the Basic D&D module Castle Caldwell and Beyond.

Hey - what's the difference between DCC and Master Dungeons?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

The Master Dungeons are a result of my efforts to focus the DCC line and keep it true to the original vision.

DCCs are very specific: They are sword & sorcery crawls. The NPCs all die by the end, there better be some secret doors and death traps in there, and if a PC doesn't die at some point it was because the GM was soft. DCCs are REH and Leiber --- golden age pulp material. They are gritty, bloody, and a lot of fun. (Consequently, due to the confining parameters of a "crawl" they are pretty easy to run, but this is a result of the design, not the intent of the design.)

In contrast, Master Dungeons are more open. They are epic in tone (though not necessarily levels, ala the Heroic/Paragon/Epic tiers). They are less street level grit (which I love) and are instead high fantasy adventure. The NPCs might not die --- in fact you might want to talk to one or two of them (...and kill them afterwards :twisted:). PCs are assumed to play a crucial role in campaign setting. Whereas DCC heroes can quite easily be wandering homeless folks with weapons, the default for MD heroes is that they are the champions of their realms. The stakes are higher, the stage is grander, the consequences are more dramatic. If the PCs fail, it's not just their lives that hang in the balance.

(Note that this is just default assumption. DCC heroes can be regents and heirs, and MD heroes can be wandering vagabonds, but the assumptions leading into the adventure have a different flavor.)

MD allows a writer a bit broader scope. Consequently they can be a bit more challenging to run as a GM. While the plot is just as clear, and the goals are understood, PCs have more options on how to meet the challenges.

If we were talking classic Mentzer D&D, DCCs fall under the Basic and Expert sets. Master Dungeons are Companion and Masters. The quality of play isn't different (neither one is "better") but the tone and themes are distinct.

//H

(Edited for clarity.)
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Okay - I got it. Thanks for the clarification. I like both styles - gritty dungeon crawling being my fav. I'll have to get this adventure and check it out. I want a poster of the cover for my "man cave" at home. :D

I'm serious.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

You can get prints through the Caldwell website:

http://www.clydecaldwell.com/

For what it is worth, Clyde is a really cool guy.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Harley Stroh wrote:You can get prints through the Caldwell website:

http://www.clydecaldwell.com/

For what it is worth, Clyde is a really cool guy.

//H
Hummm, $30.00 unmatted. Definitely worth that. I see this as a possible birthday request.
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

I'm very pleased to see the release schedule & Master Dungeons line. My question, will we really see the first 4E DCC's in September? I thought the GSL prevented anything from being released until October 1?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Sunsword,

Yep. In stores early September, but you can get them in August if you make it to Gen Con.

Can't comment beyond that. Sorry. :)

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

jason.richardson wrote:Okay - I got it. Thanks for the clarification. I like both styles - gritty dungeon crawling being my fav. I'll have to get this adventure and check it out.
I know I'm biased, but I am very pleased with how Dragora's turned out. It is just as old school as the best of the DCCs, but definitely has its own feel. I hope you give it a look. (Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel is the primary reason it came out so good. His 4E monsters are just *sweet.* I love a kobold as much as the next guy, but sometime you just have to throw down with something a little more epic.)

//H

Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

Harley Stroh wrote:Sunsword,

Yep. In stores early September, but you can get them in August if you make it to Gen Con.

Can't comment beyond that. Sorry. :)

//H

Harley that is excellent news! You guys rock!!
Takasi
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Takasi »

What is the level range expected for Dragora's Dungeon?
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Harley Stroh wrote: I know I'm biased, but I am very pleased with how Dragora's turned out. It is just as old school as the best of the DCCs, but definitely has its own feel. I hope you give it a look. (Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel is the primary reason it came out so good. His 4E monsters are just *sweet.* I love a kobold as much as the next guy, but sometime you just have to throw down with something a little more epic.)

//H
This is indeed a really good news and there will be much rejoicing :)
I love old-school crawling, but sometimes, players want a little bit more than that, especially when they want to play in long campaigns. I've just bought Into the Wilds (yesterday) as my begining module for 4th ed and that is for me a really good example on how to mix both. There are basically 2 dungeons (area 4 being somewhat a develoment from area 2) and 2 other area that are a little bit more 'open'. There is a town, there is a political intrigue (and dangerous enemies to get) and there is an ancient curse. There are some devious traps and events too (like the dolls, guy I love that, that will make a nice ritual :twisted: ). And this area is a good place to put Castle Whiteroc, if I want to use some levels independantly.

So I'm really impatient to have a copy of tha 4 modules coming out for Gen Con! And I have to bring some material to get some signatures :D

Hyb'
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

Harley Stroh wrote:The Master Dungeons are a result of my efforts to focus the DCC line and keep it true to the original vision.

DCCs are very specific: They are sword & sorcery crawls. The NPCs all die by the end, there better be some secret doors and death traps, and if a PC doesn't die somewhere it was because the GM was soft. DCCs are REH, Leiber --- golden age pulp material. Gritty, bloody, and a lot of fun. (Consequently, due to the confining parameters of a "crawl" they are pretty easy to run, but this is a result of the design, not the intent.)

In contrast, Master Dungeons are more open. They are epic in tone (though not necessarily levels, ala the Heroic/Paragon/Epic tiers). They are less street level gritty (which I love) and instead high fantasy. The NPCs might not die --- in fact you might want to talk to one or two of them (and kill them afterwards :twisted:). PCs are assumed to play a crucial role in campaign setting --- whereas DCC heroes can quite easily be wandering homeless people with weapons, the default for MD heroes is that they are the champions of their realms. The stakes are higher, the stage is grander, the consequences are dramatic. If the PCs fail, it's not just their lives that hang in the balance.

(Note that this is just default assumption. DCC heroes can be regents and heirs, and MD heroes can be wandering vagabonds, but the assumptions leading into the adventure have a different flavor.)

MD allows a writer a bit broader scope. Consequently they can be a bit more challenging to run as a GM. While the plot is jsut as clear, and the goals are understood, PCs have more options on how to meet the challenges.

If we were talking classic Mentzer D&D, DCCs fall under the Basic and Expert sets. Master Dungeons are Companion and Masters. The quality of play isn't different (neither one is "better") but the tone and themes are.
Wow, very cool. Interestingly enough, my campaign forked into two groups that each match one of these categories. It'll be fun seeing what modules are released for each line.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Takasi wrote:What is the level range expected for Dragora's Dungeon?
This one is for 1st level PCs. Future releases will include the entire range of levels.

//H

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:
This one is for 1st level PCs. Future releases will include the entire range of levels.

//H
"Future releases." These are golden words of pure joy spilling from your keyboard. :)
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Harley Stroh wrote:Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel is the primary reason it came out so good. His 4E monsters are just *sweet.* I love a kobold as much as the next guy, but sometime you just have to throw down with something a little more epic.)

//H
Thank you, sir. I'm having a blast designing 4E monsters. Once I got over the shock of "guidelines" rather than hard and fast rules, I realized that I had more freedom to create than I ever did with 3.5.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Harley Stroh wrote:Whereas DCC heroes can quite easily be wandering homeless folks with weapons ...
Love it. :twisted:

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”