Free RPG Day

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Free RPG Day

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

The DCC offering looks sweet. A gazetteer on Punjar will be a huge hit with our group.

However, I'm a little bummed that it won't be a true DCC adventure, like last year. A little tough to create adventures though, without the rules, eh?
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Free RPG Day

Post by frank5471uk »

I am REALLY delighted to see a Punjar gazeteer coming out. Will it be available as a PDF download for those of us who can't get to one of the participating retailers in June ?

FRank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

That's a good question. I know that the purpose of Free RPG Day is to drive folks to brick and mortar retailers, so I think that the logic goes that if they same product is released as a PDF it defeats the purpose of "working to save the local gaming store."

Still even if it was just a $2 pdf download, it would be cool to make the gaz available a week or two after Free RPG Day.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

If there's a participating retailer within an hour's drive of me here in London, UK (not a small town I think you'll agree), then I'll happily turn up in person. Does anyone know if the retailers listed on the website will have stocks of every freebie or simply a few ?

If I don't get a copy on the 21st June, I would happily pay a lot more than $2 for the download and would fully understand a time delay between the release for the Free RPG Day and availability to the general public.

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

frank5471uk wrote:If there's a participating retailer within an hour's drive of me here in London, UK (not a small town I think you'll agree), then I'll happily turn up in person. Does anyone know if the retailers listed on the website will have stocks of every freebie or simply a few ?
Hi guys,

We do not have plans to release the Punjar gazetteer as a PDF any time soon. The mission of Free RPG Day is to get customers into stores! To answer the question above, every participating retailer will receive multiple copies of every Free RPG Day product. If you visit http://www.freerpgday.com/sponsors.html you can see how many copies of each company's product will be released in each kit. But you should still call your local store to get details! It is up to the retailer how they plan to distribute the goods: one copy per customer, multiple copies per customer, at what point they'll give out any leftovers, etc.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

The store nearest to me is 5 hours away. :(
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

folks looking for copies of the punjar, see this thread:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 983#p19983

we're putting together a list of folks that don't have a flgs.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

I'll be running 4 games at the Free RPG Day at a FLGS in Charlotte, NC this saturday. As a GM, I've taken the 4 modules home to prepare them, and I've had some premiums picks on things I wanted. I grabbed a copy of Punjar. I won't tell anything, but this seedy town as some kind of Freeport flavor, but it's made the goodman way. Small gazeteer, very nice information.

And there will be nice stuff to do, I'll run a C&C game, Song of Ice and Fire, Castlemourn and Heirs to olympia. The Starsiege quick start kit is really good too :)

Go to your FLGS if you can!!!!!!!!!

Hyb'
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Hybban wrote: I grabbed a copy of Punjar. I won't tell anything, but this seedy town as some kind of Freeport flavor, but it's made the goodman way. Small gazeteer, very nice information.
torture! torture, i say! give us just a little taste, please?!
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Warduke wrote:
Hybban wrote: I grabbed a copy of Punjar. I won't tell anything, but this seedy town as some kind of Freeport flavor, but it's made the goodman way. Small gazeteer, very nice information.
torture! torture, i say! give us just a little taste, please?!
I'm not sure I'm allowed to...
But if already have some DCC gazeteer, you know how they can put many interesting characters and plot hook in little sentences. The book is nice and there are NO crunch, only fluff. I haven't read it completely though, I have 1 week to prepare 4 scenarios and learn the systems that go with them. And I had the Judges' Test to prepare for Goodman Games too :)

Busy week, I'll keep you posted if I'm allowed to say more!

Hyb'
Takasi
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Takasi »

We're supposed to go to our FLGS on Saturday to learn what Goodman has in store for 4E. Does the book include that?
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Takasi wrote:We're supposed to go to our FLGS on Saturday to learn what Goodman has in store for 4E. Does the book include that?
Yep, there are some indications on what to expect in the next months in the FRPGD book :)

Hyb'
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

i'm in love with free rpg day!

open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open open you darn flgs!
curmudgeon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by curmudgeon »

I have to admit to being new here, and being a relative latecomer to the wonderful world of DCC. I was really hoping to get to the one game store in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that was running Free RPG Day events. Unfortunately, continuing health issues prevented me from going. Am I correct in reading that unless one was at one of these events they will not be able to get the gazetteer being offered? That's a shame, I was rather hoping to get a chance to read and use it. Curse you my lungs, for betraying me so!

Stephen Miller
Ancient Gamer, Curmudgeon, and sick guy
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

curmudgeon wrote: Curse you my lungs, for betraying me so!

Stephen Miller
Ancient Gamer, Curmudgeon, and sick guy
So, you got asthma too? I've been down with asthma for the past several weeks, it has hit me like a frieght train. My doctor tells me this has been a horrible spring for asthma and allergies.
curmudgeon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by curmudgeon »

JediOre wrote:
curmudgeon wrote: Curse you my lungs, for betraying me so!
So, you got asthma too? I've been down with asthma for the past several weeks, it has hit me like a frieght train. My doctor tells me this has been a horrible spring for asthma and allergies.
Actually, I suffer from recurring bouts of pleurisy. Particularly nasty, painful, and recurring problem for me. Still, I can empathize with you, because they both cause a great deal of difficulty breathing.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

In France, living in Paris, I was ill almost everyday of the year. Flu, Asthma, red rash on the skin, all the skin and respiratory deseases that come together. Now that I've moved in Charlotte, NC, I fell so much better. But everybody is telling me that in 1 or 2 years, the allergies will be back withh all the unpleasant side effects :(

At least I've had a wonderful year.

To go back on Free RPG Day, we had a blast. The 4 games I've run were great and all my players had fun. I've run C&C, Heirs to Olympia, Song of Ice and Fire, Castlemourn. I got almost one of each free books (one of the perks of being a GM!). And runing 4 games, during almost 9 hours, with 5 hours of sleep and 8 pînts of beers in the blood was not that hard! I think I'm ready for Gen Con :)

For the Punjar gazeteer, at first people were not wanting it as a free RPG book, but when I explained what it was about and shown what was on the last page, everybody wanted one. The first returns have been really good.

On my side, with the Judge's test and the 4 scenario to prepare (and 3 game systems to learn) I still haven't had time to read it. I'll get to it soon though.

Hyb'
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Hybban wrote:To go back on Free RPG Day, we had a blast. The 4 games I've run were great and all my players had fun. I've run C&C, Heirs to Olympia, Song of Ice and Fire, Castlemourn. I got almost one of each free books (one of the perks of being a GM!). And runing 4 games, during almost 9 hours, with 5 hours of sleep and 8 pînts of beers in the blood was not that hard! I think I'm ready for Gen Con :)
Good to see you cross-training for the main event, Hyb. ;)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Harley Stroh wrote: Good to see you cross-training for the main event, Hyb. ;)

//H
Hey that will be my first Gen Con, I'd better get ready to compete with all the pro from GG :)

Hyb'
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Hybban wrote:Hey that will be my first Gen Con, I'd better get ready to compete with all the pro from GG :)
I'm excited that you'll get to attend. Unlike a lot of things, Gen Con is everything it claims to be and more. As an experience, it is totally overwhelming (in a good way). This will be my 4th and I still haven't acclimated.

Having the 4E DCCs break at the same time will only make it that much better.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

OK, I finally took time to read the gazeteer. This is a really good job. Simple, direct to the point, giving lots of ideas for sub/major quests alongside the DCC that will be released. The layout is really good too.

I had really wicked idea with the prison. A familly member of one of the PC has been sent to the prison for something he didn't do. The problem, the real culprit is dead and there's no way to innocent him. And suddenly, something happened in the prison, everydody seems to have 'disappeared'. Do the convict have digged too far below the city. Have they uncovered something they should have done. Several parties in the city would like to get there to get rid of/get a hold of/get information about that thing...

Argn, I think I'll pass on the work today, I have to think about that :)

Hyb'
Booberry
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Booberry »

First post here.
I love the DCC line and I've collected almost all of them. However, I've been in bad health, in and out of the hospital for the last five weeks (I'm recovering well, though). There was just no way for me to get to the FLGS when Punjar came out. Is there any way I could get a copy? I'm willing to pay for one, but I'm not willing to buy it on ebay (it bums me out that people and even game stores are trying to make money on something that was free). I know the point of Free RPG Day is to support local retailers, and I do (that's where I bought all my other DCCs after all.

It doesn't look like Goodman wants to sell this module, so I'm probably out of luck. I thought it was worth a try to at least ask, though.

Pretty please?
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

As mentioned before ... patience. :)

I'm sure it will be available sometime later this year, probably after GenCon. Remember, "Sinister Secret of Whiterock" was last year's Free RPG Day module. It wasn't available immediately after Free RPG Day last year ... but a few months later, it was available as a .PDF, and as a $2 module.

I'm confident that the same will hold true for "Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel".
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Booberry wrote:First post here.
I love the DCC line and I've collected almost all of them. However, I've been in bad health, in and out of the hospital for the last five weeks (I'm recovering well, though). There was just no way for me to get to the FLGS when Punjar came out. Is there any way I could get a copy? I'm willing to pay for one, but I'm not willing to buy it on ebay (it bums me out that people and even game stores are trying to make money on something that was free). I know the point of Free RPG Day is to support local retailers, and I do (that's where I bought all my other DCCs after all.

It doesn't look like Goodman wants to sell this module, so I'm probably out of luck. I thought it was worth a try to at least ask, though.

Pretty please?
Noble Knight may have some copies at 0.01$. A simple google search should give you the web site if you don't know it already.

Hyb'
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Hybban wrote:
Noble Knight may have some copies at 0.01$. A simple google search should give you the web site if you don't know it already.

Hyb'
'Tis true, but I believe one must make a purchase to get the FRPG material.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”