DCC#53: Sellswords Of Punjar

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

DCC#53: Sellswords Of Punjar

Post by JediOre »

Well, since TacoJohn & Harley couldn't find a use for my $20 bill I sent to GenCon ( :wink: ) I ordered this module today from my local game store A to Z Comics.

Looking forward to reading Harley's work and how a 4th edition module is designed.

Harley, I recall you saying you had my gang in mind when you wrote this and I am excited to envision my players stumbling through as they so often do!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: DCC#53: Sellswords Of Punjar

Post by Harley Stroh »

Yup. Tell Ragnar to trust his instincts (or not), Jediwife to pack an extra quiver, and Grayson to have Whisker at the ready. ;)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Hahaha - you guys crack me up.

I don't know why, Jedi, but both the Goodman booth boys and the Code Monkey booth boys said that your 20-spot wasn't any good at their boothes. :wink:

I needs to order me a copy of DCC# 53 as well. Believe it or not, I failed to pick up a copy of #53 or Dragoria's Dungeon at GC. Doh - now I get to pay shipping too! :x

tacojohn
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Harley, these three characters are all fourth and fifth level. Nonetheless, I will still take them through this module. I'll just square or cube each of the encounters! :lol:
ragnar1965
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ragnar1965 »

Tell Ragnar to trust his instincts (or not)
Hmm...I love it when Harley gives me cryptic clues :lol:

I remember not too long ago when I was the D&D equivalent of a 98 pound weakling. I would go to the beach and people would kick copies of "Tomb of Horrors" in my face. But I've cut my teeth on some of the masters. People like Gary Gygax, Tracy Hickman, Bill Webb & Clark Peterson, Harley Stroh, and Steven Chenault helped to mold and shape me. Plus that, I've been drinking my milk and I'm ready! 8)
Forgiveness is between you and your maker. I'm just responsible for the meeting.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

His entire group of NPCs created for the Tomb of Horrors died in the first long hallway.

Word to the wise, never have all the players leap through a large black portal headlong. . . .

[Edit, he has come alongs ways from that & freely admits puzzles are his weakest link.]
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

ragnar1965 wrote:People like Gary Gygax, Tracy Hickman, Bill Webb & Clark Peterson, Harley Stroh, and Steven Chenault helped to mold and shape me. Plus that, I've been drinking my milk and I'm ready! 8)
Heh. Well let's not be rash. I don't even stand in the shadow of the Greats. But I've been drinking my milk, too, so maybe one day ...

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

JediOre wrote:Word to the wise, never have all the players leap through a large black portal headlong. . . .
If you ever run into Ken Hart at GenCon ... ask him about his experience with large black portals in the Tomb. :twisted:

That one's truly a classic.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

JediOre wrote:Word to the wise, never have all the players leap through a large black portal headlong. . . .
That is my hobby.

I've done it twice, near-30 years apart, in the Tomb of Horrors. As soon as I did it, I remembered doing it before....

Plus, I did it unknowingly in the DCC module that has one (won't spoil which one that is for those that have yet to have a chance to jump into it!)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

GnomeBoy wrote:
That is my hobby.

I've done it twice, near-30 years apart, in the Tomb of Horrors. As soon as I did it, I remembered doing it before....
Gnomie, you're my hero. :)

//H

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Gnomie, you're my hero. :)
Aw, shucks. *stubs foot into the dirt and twists it*

'Tis just incompetence at it's best.

If ever I have the means and opportunity to make it to GenCon, I'll let you know ASAP so you can add a Sphere into the DCC Tourney for me....

[Hey, we need a 'Sphere icon' in that smiley list! Something no other Fantasy Role Playing Game forum has, I'd wager]
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Does this 'Sphere' icon do anything for anybody?

Any way to add this to the regular group if parties are interested?

tomgastall
Gongfarmer

Post by tomgastall »

Hey guys - I just bought DCC#53 from rpg.now as a pdf.

When I print out the roof tiles and the maps, will they print as the right size, or do I have to print these at 150% (or larger) so the grid squares will by 1" by 1"?

Looking forward to running this.

-tom gastall
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

tomgastall wrote:Hey guys - I just bought DCC#53 from rpg.now as a pdf.

When I print out the roof tiles and the maps, will they print as the right size, or do I have to print these at 150% (or larger) so the grid squares will by 1" by 1"?
Thanks for the purchase!

The battle maps should print at the right size with no need to edit on your end. You'll end up with 4 pages per battle map, which you can connect as you see fit. You will notice that they overlap a bit at the edges. For example, the left side of one map will be the same side as the right side of the adjacent map. Some home printers chop the edges, so the overlap should make them a little easier to line up if part is cut off.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Also, don't forget to check out directions and a placement map for the roof tiles on the Sellsword page.

http://www.goodman-games.com/5052preview.html

//H

tomgastall
Gongfarmer

Post by tomgastall »

Thanks for the quick response Harley!

-tom gastall
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Mike_Ferguson:
If you ever run into Ken Hart at GenCon ... ask him about his experience with large black portals in the Tomb. :twisted:
That's just plain cruel Mike.

Amusing, but cruel. :mrgreen:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WereSteve »

I ordered this module today from my local game store A to Z Comics.

Hmmm ... now there's a place I haven't been to in many a year. Then again, with my odd work schedule and high gas prices I don't get out to Blue Springs very often anymore.
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

Finally found somewhere to order my sellswords from YAY :D

Quick question though, is there any chance Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel will be released to the gen pop??
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

"Birthright" on the WOTC forums or "Birthright" at The Piazza.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

I think there is a reply coupon card in the 4E adventures that will get you a digital copy of the Punjar Gaz.

But, sometimes you just got to have a physical copy. I'm trying to pick up a copy on Ebay ....
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:But, sometimes you just got to have a physical copy. I'm trying to pick up a copy on Ebay ....
Good luck. I peeped one about 2 months ago and it was going for $40. Just sick.

And yes, if you fill out the survey card you'll get a PDF copy of Tarnished Jewel.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Insane ... found one for $15, but that is just silly. That's like a dollar page. (Not that it isn't worth it, mind you, just that the thought of giving someone the price of a DCC for something they got for free irks the heck out of me.)
Booberry
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Booberry »

I just finsished reading Sellswords and I must say it's an altogether excellent module, far better than anything WotC has offered thus far for 4e. I do, however have some complaints about the module, mainly related to presentation.

First, the watermark. Maybe it's just my eyes giving out after 33 years, but I find the text really hard to read due to the background printed on each page. It took me three tries to read the whole thing because I kept getting headaches.

Second, the map. While the color map is cool, I don't think it's really necessary and it adds $2 to the price of the module. I could easily have done without it (especially since the extra map is printed inside the back cover, making it extremely awkward to use in play unless I tear off the back cover. It was a nice experiment but I'd prefer not to see them in future modules (especially since it raises the price). I'm sure many people enjoy it though, so I may be in the minority on this one.

Third, and I'm sorry to say it, but I hate the art. I much prefer the look of the previous DCCs. I don't see how this is supposed to look like 2e modules...

Last, (this is a nitpick) the Mark of Orcus is a cheap trick. Handing out auto-failures is guaranteed to upset my players. When I run this module, every time I invoke the Mark, I'll probably roll against the PC's skill check and make him use the lower result.

Sorry to sound so negative, like I said I think the module's great. If future modules share the presentation style of Dragora's Dungeon I'll buy every one. If they continue to look like Sellswords, I may be buying a lot fewer of them, unfortunately.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Boo,

Thanks for the input, and for taking the time to help us improve the 4E DCC. I'm trying to suss out your sense of the difference between Sellswords and Dragora's so I can appreciate what you like/dislike.

To clarify, was it the battlemap or the map of Punjar that wasn't useful to you?

Art: Was the art in Dragora noticeably different to you?

//H

Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

Not to argue with Booberry since art appreciation is subjective but I rather like the format/layout, whatever for the SoP.

I agree however that blanket failiures for the Mark of Orcus (will have to re-read that) would annoy the heck out of my players.
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

"Birthright" on the WOTC forums or "Birthright" at The Piazza.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”