What is the future of DCC w/ D&D 4.0?

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

papaholdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

What is the future of DCC w/ D&D 4.0?

Post by papaholdy »

This question and it's responses should most likely get a sticky because I think it is on the mind of every fan of the DCC line.

So how will the DCC line handle the change in D&D's core rules from 3.5 to 4.0?

Will is continue? And if so what is the plan?

From what I have read the changes will be substantial even to the point where the D&D folks have been very discouraging about doing version conversions of characters.

Has WotC/Hasbro given any guidance to producers of d20 products?

Will old DCCs be reprinted as 4.0 as was done with many of early 3.0 modules when 3.5 came along?

What is the scoop? Can we get updates on this type of info as 4.0 looms closer?

Thanks!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: What is the future of DCC w/ D&D 4.0?

Post by GnomeBoy »

papaholdy wrote:So how will the DCC line handle the change in D&D's core rules from 3.5 to 4.0?

Will is continue?
I certainly hope so -- my submission is ready to go! :twisted:

I'm counting down until May.... 8)

Also, I know you're looking for 'official' response, but I never did slavish conversions of older characters anyway; I tried to make a 3.x version of the idea for the old character, rather than cling to the older editions. Spirit above Letter, as it were.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
timemrick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by timemrick »

Green Ronin's Chris Pramas recently commented in his blog that WotC hasn't yet given third-party publishers the kind of information they need to design products or make strategic plans relating to 4E. So I'm guessing it's going to be a while yet before Goodman Games can make any definite statements about their plans for 4E either.
Tim Emrick, Keeper of the Freeport Errata
http://www.geocities.com/thastygliax/d20errata/
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Don't worry, we're here to stay. Goodman Games will support fourth edition. Dungeon Crawl Classics will continue. And when the time is right, we will announce full details.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

Oh well. There goes my hope that GG would be the light in the dark and continuing with 3.5 products. My wallet will be happy though.

Please don't take that as a dig at GG or anything, but there are those of us who don't and won't want to convert to 4E.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Eryx wrote:Oh well. There goes my hope that GG would be the light in the dark and continuing with 3.5 products. My wallet will be happy though.

Please don't take that as a dig at GG or anything, but there are those of us who don't and won't want to convert to 4E.
While GG is a relatively small company, I really doubt you will be missed, from a financial perspective.
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

Jonathan Moyer wrote:
Eryx wrote:Oh well. There goes my hope that GG would be the light in the dark and continuing with 3.5 products. My wallet will be happy though.

While GG is a relatively small company, I really doubt you will be missed, from a financial perspective.
I'm not saying that I should be, it wasn't that kind of comment.
---

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I'll miss you, Eryx. :) Even in the world of 4E, we'll keep our extensive 3.5 backstock in print until it sells out. And we still have several 3.5 releases still in the pipeline. Castle Whiterock alone should keep you busy for a year!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

I'll still lurk. You can't get rid of me that easily. :)
---

SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

Heck, I haven't played 3x in years, and don't play on playing 4x ... and still buy most of the DCCs. Good products are good products, regardless of system.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

SavageRobby wrote:

Heck, I haven't played 3x in years, and don't play on playing 4x ... and still buy most of the DCCs. Good products are good products, regardless of system.
Ditto, using DCC 18 for my C&C game. 4E may even be easier to use than 3E. Depending on how they redesign monster write ups.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

Who knows? Maybe in the distant future, there will be special edition releases of 3.x modules the same way there have been a couple 1st ed ones.

;)

Seriously though, despite what WOTC may be saying, in the end converting from 4.x to 3.x may not be so hard. Only time will tell.

Moriarty the Red
ragnar1965
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ragnar1965 »

Oh well. There goes my hope that GG would be the light in the dark and continuing with 3.5 products. My wallet will be happy though.

Eryx, embrace C&C. Then it won't matter where WoTC wants to go with D&D in the future. Conversions are easy, no matter the edition. As a late comer to D&D (last 5 years or so), I relish the opportunity to play through modules such as Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and then turn right around and hit Bloody Jack's Gold without missing a beat. I fought the complexity or lack there of to begin with. But the benefits for me far outweigh the drawbacks.[/i]
Forgiveness is between you and your maker. I'm just responsible for the meeting.
Philotomy Jurament
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Count me as another who doesn't run the DCCs with 3E (I prefer OD&D(1974), AD&D, or C&C). I can convert 3E stuff, if I have to -- although I'm much more likely to buy a module I don't have to convert. For example, I've purchased all of the C&C modules and both of the 1E conversions (Saga of the Witch Queen rocks, by the way), but I cherry pick the d20 DCCs.

I'm a little bit concerned about 4E and conversion, actually. I'm wondering how the per-encounter vs. per-day difference is going to affect encounter structure. And apparently there's going to be a difference in the number of enemies, too (i.e. more enemies per encounter, on the average). Those factors may make conversion from 4E more difficult, because the encounter paradigm is shifting. We'll see, I guess.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Philotomy Jurament wrote:Count me as another who doesn't run the DCCs with 3E (I prefer OD&D(1974), AD&D, or C&C). I can convert 3E stuff, if I have to -- although I'm much more likely to buy a module I don't have to convert. For example, I've purchased all of the C&C modules and both of the 1E conversions (Saga of the Witch Queen rocks, by the way), but I cherry pick the d20 DCCs.

I'm a little bit concerned about 4E and conversion, actually. I'm wondering how the per-encounter vs. per-day difference is going to affect encounter structure. And apparently there's going to be a difference in the number of enemies, too (i.e. more enemies per encounter, on the average). Those factors may make conversion from 4E more difficult, because the encounter paradigm is shifting. We'll see, I guess.
I don't think the encounter paradigm will make things more difficult to convert. I'm guessing we'll maybe have to cut out monster or three. and the encounter frequency is always in control of the CK/DM.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

I suspect the "encounters balanced around larger groups of monsters" 4E paradigm will make conversion, if not tricky, a matter for deliberation.

Throwing a bucket of monsters at characters in an earlier version of the game is a good way to TPK. Hopefully just trimming the multiples out of encounters should be a good shorthand approach, although there will likely still be some unbalanced encounters that result.
davidfryer73
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by davidfryer73 »

goodmangames wrote:Don't worry, we're here to stay. Goodman Games will support fourth edition. Dungeon Crawl Classics will continue. And when the time is right, we will announce full details.
Will there continue to be 3.5 products produced for DCC also? Some of us do not plan on switching over.
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

goodmangames wrote:Don't worry, we're here to stay. Goodman Games will support fourth edition. Dungeon Crawl Classics will continue. And when the time is right, we will announce full details.
I take this as good news as I will not be converting to 4.0 until there are some complete 4.0 adventures made available (and I'm not sure I can count on WotC to follow through). 8)
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

None the Wiser wrote:I take this as good news as I will not be converting to 4.0 until there are some complete 4.0 adventures made available (and I'm not sure I can count on WotC to follow through). 8)
Keep on the Shadowfell, from WotC, will actually be released a month before the 4E books are released (with quick start rules).

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”