Jim Roslof, R.I.P.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Jim Roslof, R.I.P.

Post by goodmangames »

Jim Roslof was an outstanding artist whose legacy from the TSR days through the present inspired many gamers’ best D&D adventures. He passed away the morning of Sunday, March 20. I am personally very proud to have published many of his illustrations over the past few years, and I will forever remember his depictions of classic fantasy adventuring. From all of Goodman Games, our thoughts go out to his family. Rest in peace, Jim Roslof.

When I last spoke to him two weeks ago, Jim was finishing up his next set of assignments for DCC RPG. These will be published posthumously in the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game, which will be dedicated to Jim Roslof.

Here are a few of his illustrations that Goodman Games has published over the years. I have always loved his "skinny heroes" and "non-tank" warriors. Only Jim Roslof could create a dwarf that wasn't a gravity-defying hulk, and a warrior who was comfortable dungeon-crawling in a chain shirt and light steel helm, rather than the ponderous plate mail "tanks" of modern D&D imagery. His clerics look like they just walked out of a church, not a crusade, and his heroes fight with round shields: all subtle reminders of what D&D was like in 1974.

Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Jim Roslof, R.I.P.

Post by Stainless »

Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
mntnjeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by mntnjeff »

So sad to see another of the great luminaries pass... So sad.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

mntnjeff wrote:So sad to see another of the great luminaries pass... So sad.
Agreed.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

One of my favorite artists, primarily for the sake of all the color he could squeeze into a picture.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Roslof.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Make this topic sticky, please...
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

RIP and best wishes to his family and friends.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I've enjoyed seeing his work, even if I didn't know his name until recently when he got sick. Sad that such a person has to have bad things happen before his greatness gets talked about. :(
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

His art did inspire great adventures.
R.I.P. :(
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Wow. Very sad.

How many of us were first introduced to Jim with his cover art on "Keep on the Borderlands"?

Rest in peace.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

JonHook wrote:Wow. Very sad.

How many of us were first introduced to Jim with his cover art on "Keep on the Borderlands"?

Rest in peace.
Agreed. What might be the most played adventure of our generation, with Roslof gracing the cover. His pen-and-ink works are some of my favorite pieces. I'm thankful that we will be able to celebrate a little more of his art and hopefully add to the canon.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Hamel™
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hamel™ »

That's pretty sad.. his was a very particular and suggestive art.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

He made the most badass Thor illustration in the history of D&D:
He earned his place in Valhalla, I'm sure.
mike wilson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by mike wilson »

Man, I don't know what to say. My heart is broken to hear this. I'll always treasure his work. I can't say that
I've nearly seen enough of it. I hope someone someday that we'll get to see all of his work, doodles included, published in a great of tome.
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

I loved his art. The world is a lesser place. Rest in peace.
Mrchoon
Gongfarmer

Post by Mrchoon »

I have in my possession a piece of art by Jim Roslof entitled "Whaling on the High Seas". His signature on the bottom right seems legitimate and it's dated '74. It's behind a wood frame and under glass. It's nautical theme is pretty unique, since I know Roslof mostly did D&D related pieces. It also appears that Jim painted directly on the glass, as well as behind creating a sense of depth.

I would love to hear from anyone who can shed more light on this piece of art by Jim Roslof.

I have attached pictures below
Attachments
roslof.jpg
roslof.jpg (154.16 KiB) Viewed 37448 times
Roslof4.jpg
Roslof4.jpg (112.11 KiB) Viewed 37448 times
roslof3.jpg
roslof3.jpg (137.44 KiB) Viewed 37448 times
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Jim did a lot of non-D&D work. I visited his studio with his wife after he passed away. His studio is filled with the advertising work that he did for many years after his time working as an art director at TSR. I'm not as familiar with his work from before his TSR days but it sounds like you have come across some of it.

His wife, Laura, has some great stories about their time with TSR. She's the one who actually did the illustration that got Palace of the Silver Princess banned...on direction from her husband, who was TSR art director at the time!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

goodmangames wrote:Jim did a lot of non-D&D work. I visited his studio with his wife after he passed away. His studio is filled with the advertising work that he did for many years after his time working as an art director at TSR. I'm not as familiar with his work from before his TSR days but it sounds like you have come across some of it.

His wife, Laura, has some great stories about their time with TSR. She's the one who actually did the illustration that got Palace of the Silver Princess banned...on direction from her husband, who was TSR art director at the time!
He banned his own wife's art or he gave it the green light and it got banned later?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

He gave it the green light...then it got banned later.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I'm a youngster and don't know these stories well. Which illustration are you talking about?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Wikipedia is enlightening on this story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_ ... on_history
During the editorial process, Wells wanted to replace artwork by Erol Otus that had transformed her new three-headed monsters called "ubues" into hermaphrodites with the heads of TSR staffers and management. However, she was told that it was too late, since replacing the artwork would cause unreasonable printing delays.[8]

On the eve of publication, when the cartons of printed modules arrived at TSR headquarters ready for shipping, someone in TSR's upper management objected strongly to the module. Some sources state that the objectionable content was four pieces of artwork by Erol Otus and Laura Roslof that were too overtly sexual.[9][3] These included "The Illusion of the Decapus" by Laura Roslof, wife of Jim Roslof, in which a woman was tied up by her own hair. However, other sources point out that the "objectionable" art was rather tame compared to that released in some other products of the time, and that "sexual content" was only used as an excuse for the recall; the real reason was the Erol Otus caricatures of TSR executives in the illustration of the ubues.
I'd love to get my hand on a copy of the orange version...apparently there are PDFs of it out there...
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

I'd love to get my hand on a copy of the orange version...apparently there are PDFs of it out there...
I'm at work so I didn't download it, but there's a link to the banned pdf at the bottom of the wikipedia page you posted.
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

headspice wrote:
I'm at work so I didn't download it, but there's a link to the banned pdf at the bottom of the wikipedia page you posted.
I declare it awesome. Too bad they didn't have a sense of humor. EO rules.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Yep -- WOTC re-released it for free... Crap -- they used to have a bunch of the old stuff on their site for free (L2, etc). Guess they want to sell them now. The wikipedia link still works for B2, though.

That's funny -- I never realized that the module was completely re-written.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “DCC RPG General”