Designer's Blog #3: What Do You Mean, "Vancian"?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Atlatl Jones
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Designer's Blog #3: What Do You Mean, "Vancian"?

Post by Atlatl Jones »

I wrote a reply, but the board ate it, so here's another try:

I'm curious why spellburn can only be applied to physical attributes. Surely it's appropriate for a spellcaster to addle his wits, or damage his sanity, personality, or luck to improve their spellcasting. It's usually a bad idea, especially for the intelligence attribute, but in a desperate spot I'd find it fun for a wizard to blast so much power through himself that he becomes a drooling idiot, in order to get one last spell off.

For ritual casting, one simple alternative would be for it to give a better "ratio" on spellburn. That is, instead of burning 1 point for a +1 bonus, ritually cast spells could give +3 bonus for every 2 points burned. Or maybe vary it by the time spent: If you spend 1 minute per spell level, gain a +4 bonus for every 3 points burned; if you take 10 minutes/level, gain +3 for every 2 points burned; and if you take 1 hour/level, gain +4 for every 2 points burned.

Such a rule would also explain why ritual magic is so exhausting: it requires spellburn.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Atlatl Jones wrote: I'm curious why spellburn can only be applied to physical attributes. Surely it's appropriate for a spellcaster to addle his wits, or damage his sanity, personality, or luck to improve their spellcasting. It's usually a bad idea, especially for the intelligence attribute, but in a desperate spot I'd find it fun for a wizard to blast so much power through himself that he becomes a drooling idiot, in order to get one last spell off.
Because the gods of the otherworld hunger for flesh and blood. And since you can't commit brain surgery on yourself during an adventure, it's easier to chop down your finger or cut your arm. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:Designer’s Diary Entry #2: What Do You Mean, “Vancian”?
Heh. I just caught this typo. Compare it to the title of the thead! :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”