Just houserule it

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Just houserule it

Post by smathis »

goodmangames wrote:Shields Shall Be Splintered is a great house rule! I have a "short list" of "other people's house rules I want to include in DCC RPG" and that one's on it...
Yup. One of my favorites too! I second dkeester on the Free Whack and appreciate your approach to the grappling thing.

It's exactly what I was hoping for. I, too, would like something that works within the existing ruleset, plays well and does not require thumbing through the rulebook. Glad to hear that grappling thing is in good hands. Thanks!
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

I to agree that the less rule book flipping the better (that is something that 4E does very well, everything on the PC sheet or monster stat block). But how do you balance that with all the crit etc tables you are to include in the game Joseph? I am interested in your thoughts.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Machpants wrote:I to agree that the less rule book flipping the better (that is something that 4E does very well, everything on the PC sheet or monster stat block). But how do you balance that with all the crit etc tables you are to include in the game Joseph? I am interested in your thoughts.
It's different when you're looking up tables in a book, and when looking for rules. A good rule is one you always remember after reading it, and you don't need to check it during the game. Also, you can put the various tables on the DM Screen, but you can't put there all the rules you need...
Also, usually you need the rules more often, than critical hit tables. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

^LOL you'd need a 12 panel DM screen for DCC RPG!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

HackMaster 4e's GM shield has 32 panels. Still faster than flipping through your book, unless you bookmarked the tables.
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Really? WOW :shock:

I am sure it is, but my ideal would be a single sheet for each monster/encounter/etc and a 3 panel landscape DM screen, plus a 2 page char sheet for each player. And that is all that is all I would like to look during the game 99% of the time. I remember what a pain the crit tables and looking them up was in MERP. So I wonder how Joseph et al are going to present the DCC tables that will be required all the time in such a format to reduce rulebook flipping and faffing.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
mntnjeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by mntnjeff »

And that's where a PDF comes in handy. An electronic copy of all the tables in the book would be a super cool feature to offer. That way you'd have guys / gals creating their own DM Screens w/ the charts that they want to see. I do exactly this w/ S&W, on one side of the screen I've got the very few things that the players need to check, item weights, prices, armor classes, etc. along with some "inspirational" art (mostly drawn by my daughters! ;-), and on my side the things a DM needs to see. But it's customized to my specs. Which I think is critical.

I'm able to slip a map into one panel and names into another if I'm running a session in a town. Or a wandering monster list tailored to a desert if the session is taking place there. Etc. You see where I'm going.

I'd be absolutely blown away (pleasantly so) if we see a rule book that comes in under 100 pages. (Including monster and DM section.) Unlike others, I'd pay a higher price for an elegant, stream-lined set of rules. i.e. Higher price for lower page count. (as long as it's well done and comes w/ some neat supplements like the above mentioned pdf) Now this isn't an open invitation to charge an arm and a leg, but I seriously doubt that Joseph would do that on a whim anyway.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Ravenheart87 wrote:HackMaster 4e's GM shield has 32 panels. Still faster than flipping through your book, unless you bookmarked the tables.
Yeah, the HM screen is really amazing. Those crits tables (d10,000) are still hard as hell to read though. And the results are a bit too dry and clinical for my taste.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Machpants wrote:So I wonder how Joseph et al are going to present the DCC tables that will be required all the time in such a format to reduce rulebook flipping and faffing.
Yeah, this is a concern of mine as well.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I'd be absolutely blown away (pleasantly so) if we see a rule book that comes in under 100 pages. (Including monster and DM section.)
I don't think we'll see a book under 100 pages, but 128 is still an awesome accomplishment. Heck, since it's for both players and DMs, I don't mind if it reaches 192 pages or more - still way smaller than the holy trinity (MM-PHB-DMG) of any editions of (A)D&D.
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

Machpants wrote:^LOL you'd need a 12 panel DM screen for DCC RPG!
Interesting idea. The standard 4 panel GM screens don't work that well for me. Perhaps DCC RPG could have a 5 or 6 panel screen?
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

dkeester wrote:
Interesting idea. The standard 4 panel GM screens don't work that well for me. Perhaps DCC RPG could have a 5 or 6 panel screen?
Anyone remember Rolemaster? Now that was a system with a ton of charts!!!!
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Yeah as I said with MERP, all the charts were too much. And I think MERP is cut down from RM
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Hamakto wrote:
dkeester wrote:
Anyone remember Rolemaster? Now that was a system with a ton of charts!!!!
Only played MERP, which uses a lighter version of the Rolemaster, but I remember it had charts for almost everything.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Machpants wrote:I to agree that the less rule book flipping the better (that is something that 4E does very well, everything on the PC sheet or monster stat block). But how do you balance that with all the crit etc tables you are to include in the game Joseph? I am interested in your thoughts.
The crit tables are on the front of my home-made DM screen, facing the players. There's no page flipping. I ask the player nearest to my screen to read the result on the side facing him.

I need to add a couple more tables (spellburn, fumbles, turning) which also get referenced frequently. But it's all doable with the right DM screen.

(I'll eventually publish a DM screen that has all this available.)

In my mind, there's a difference between consulting a table and consulting a rule. Consulting a rule slows things down, requires reading, and sometimes requires adjudication. Consulting a table is just like reading a sentence or two that corresponds to your roll. At least in my head, the latter is easier than the former!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

P.S. Here's a photo of my 8-panel screen in action:

Link to Ogrecave on Facebook

(If that link doesn't come through, find OgreCave on Facebook and go to their DunDraCon 35 gallery...photo #19...

The screen is my 3.5 screen (from DCC #39) with various DCC RPG tables taped over it (plus some cover art). Right now I'm not using all 8 panels...not sure that I will really need to...I think DCC RPG will be doable with a 4-panel table, but we'll see how it progresses.

P.S. That's GnomeBoy in the back left corner of the shot!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Thanks and I entirely agree looking up rules takes much longer than looking up pure game facts (such as tables). Maybe there will be less tables than I was picturing, a decent GM (EDIT: Screen LOL Freudian slip) is always a must. Although your 8 paneler looks a little large for my tastes LOL.
Last edited by Machpants on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

goodmangames wrote:In my mind, there's a difference between consulting a table and consulting a rule. Consulting a rule slows things down, requires reading, and sometimes requires adjudication. Consulting a table is just like reading a sentence or two that corresponds to your roll. At least in my head, the latter is easier than the former!
I'm in agreement here. I use both the Toolbox book by AEG and Mythic GM Emulator when I run games. Consulting tables in either takes considerably less time than looking up Stealth rules in 4e or Grappling rules in 3e. Although sometimes it takes a while to find the table I want in the big Toolbox book.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

I think the ideal thing would be that each class gets its own specific character sheet with its crit tables on the back.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

goodmangames wrote:P.S. That's GnomeBoy in the back left corner of the shot!
Thanks for linking to that pic, Joe -- my ear has never looked better! :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

I apologize for coming WAY late to a thread, but I'm trying to catch up on everything!

I totally agree that non-lethal fights are a big part of Appendix N. However, I don't think they require special rules. Once players are aware that being captured is not only an option (opposed to death), but is inevitable... they seem to start to embrace it. (A big part of any good pulp campaign IMO).

If players are still resistant to the idea of surrenduring, then put on the DM pants:

DM: The guards have you surrounded and several have you covered with crossbows.
Players: Who cares - we attack!
DM: (Looks at unruliest player )(rolls dice - doesn't look at result) you get cracked in the back of the skull by something hard and blunt... you black out. "Yield now or your big friend here gets his throat cut!"

etc...

Being captured is a great way to advance the plot or tell many interesting stories you can't do if every bad guy you ever see is hacked down in 5 seconds.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

We played a light d20 game last night with some of the proposed DCC rpg stuff grafted on.

- characters were 5th level, adventure was approx the same level, when a character died we let the player roll d5 to see which level his new character was. (He rolled a 2 :lol: ). We all thought this fairer than having all replacements start at zero, unless we'd allowed the replacement to be 3 0-level PCs.

So I think it's gonna be our new houserule:

'when a character of level 3+ dies, the player rolls a dice equal (or in the case of 9th level, d8+1) to the level of the highest surviving character in the party, to determine his new character's level. When characters of level 2 or less die, their replacement starts at level 0. At whatever level, if the replacement character dies that session, start the next at level 0. A player may choose beforehand to have three 0-level PCs as a replacement rather than rolling.'

Without having to work out feats/skills this wasn't too slow a process. Mind if all the PCs start dying (and you're too scared/unconcerned to invoke a patron to resurrect fallen comrades)..oh dear, you could all end up low level :twisted:
Sean Wills
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:The crit tables are on the front of my home-made DM screen, facing the players. There's no page flipping. I ask the player nearest to my screen to read the result on the side facing him.
Interesting. For my home-made DM screen, I put the crit tables on the inside so that the players couldn't see them. I thought the surprise of what happens would be better.

Just curious as to what others do with stuff like that. Inside or outside of the GM screen?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
WoozleWozzle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WoozleWozzle »

goodmangames wrote: * I am continually impressed that every pre-1980 edition of D&D managed to pack the entire rules set into 64 pages, give or take. I believe that modern rules "bloat" is one entry barrier for the hobby. Plus I know that many of us are grown-ups now, without an entire summer to blow learning a new game, and I'd really like to publish a game that is actually playable by a significant chunk of the gaming population - which means easy to grasp, easy to learn, and not a massive tome. As such, I am focused on a relatively short rulebook as the primarily (and probably only) rules product. There won't be a PHB, DMG, MM, etc. There will be one book. Maybe a rules supplement once a year or something to support any evolution of the game, but not much more than that.
I really like the sound of that.
dkeester wrote:One of the reasons that I think the rules fit into 64 pages was the fact that the authors knew they couldn't fit every game situation into the rules as 3e and 4e try to do. Or perhaps they just didn't want to try to account for every situation in the rules.
I agree.
dkeester wrote:And while we are at it. If you have any fun housrules to share, please post them.
I try not to use many hourserules. I think they lead to a worse situation than large rulesbooks. At least with many specific rules in a book, a new player can buy that book and read over them in his free time. With many houserules things are harder to learn in advance and to pick up in between sessions unless a lot of work has gone into forging a homemade thick rulebook.

I am, however, a big fan of table rulings > written rules. Matthew Finch's essay A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming has a section at the beginning that sums up my thoughts nicely.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

– Terry Pratchett,
Reaper Man
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

How about making disarm/sunder actions be avalible to fighters that succed on a DoMA? That sounds like a real simple way to introduce those rules into the game (and any one that is not a fighter just dosn't have the training to disarm or sunder).

You can also chang disarm to droped wepaon and sunder to shield breaks for fumble results (there is a fumble table in this game, I assume).

As for grabling, just write up something short and sweet, and something that will be basically usless in most combats (who in their right mind would grabble a troll any way?)

Return to “DCC RPG General”