Designer's Blog #2: Pre-D&D Swords & Sorcery

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Designer's Blog #2: Pre-D&D Swords & Sorcery

Post by smathis »

finarvyn wrote:Strangely enough, I have gone through several phases. My first several years of OD&D I wanted to play only Dwarves, then humans only for a few years, then Noldor-style Elves. No idea why I ran in such streaks.

Now I play almost anything. When I actually play, that is, since I'm DM 99% of the time. :)
Yeah. Me too. When I first started back in 1981, I always wanted to play the humans. They had the cool classes. Ha. Then I branched out and only wanted to play demi-humans -- but not Half-Orcs or Dwarves. I kind of waffled all over the place for a while. Now I'm on a Dwarf kick. But I've yet to get to play a Dwarf. Go figure.

My group DM's fairly equally -- which means I don't DM as much as I used to or as much as I'd prefer. That's probably good because I have two toddlers and a bunch of side projects at the moment (in addition to my normal work). So I'm a little busy to DM well.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

time for blog post #3, yes?
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Monsieur Hensley for President, I vote YES
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Any news when will we see the next blog post? I hunger for information. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

+1
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Agreed. It's hard to formulate a lot of meaningful discussion when we're mostly shooting in the dark here. I mean, if we actually had seen playtest rules we could comment and critique, but as it is we can't do anything more than wildly speculate on what might or might not be "the plan" here....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
claytonian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by claytonian »

I know he's not Appendix N, but I hope you have read a lot of Clark Ashton Smith too!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

claytonian wrote:I know he's not Appendix N, but I hope you have read a lot of Clark Ashton Smith too!
A popular suggestion and I have to keep going back to re-read the Appendix N list because I can't believe that he's not on it. :shock:

CAS and Robert E Howard and HP Lovecraft all seem to fit together in a similar genre and somehow Smith gets forgotten quite a bit. Strange.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

finarvyn wrote:
claytonian wrote:I know he's not Appendix N, but I hope you have read a lot of Clark Ashton Smith too!
A popular suggestion and I have to keep going back to re-read the Appendix N list because I can't believe that he's not on it. :shock:

CAS and Robert E Howard and HP Lovecraft all seem to fit together in a similar genre and somehow Smith gets forgotten quite a bit. Strange.
Possibly because CAS's prose is much more sophisticated and stylish than Howard's and Lovecraft's. As a kid, I found the latter much more readable than the former; it definitely requires a deeper mastery of language.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

rabindranath72 wrote:[quote="finarvyn]CAS and Robert E Howard and HP Lovecraft all seem to fit together in a similar genre and somehow Smith gets forgotten quite a bit. Strange.
Possibly because CAS's prose is much more sophisticated and stylish than Howard's and Lovecraft's. As a kid, I found the latter much more readable than the former; it definitely requires a deeper mastery of language.[/quote][/quote]But in this case it is a little puzzling, since the Appendix N list was composed by Gary and he clearly wasn't put off by challenging linguistics in a book. One has to wonder if either (a) Gary hadn't actually read any CAS, (b) he read CAS but didn't like it, or (c) somehow the omission of CAS from Appendix N was an oversight.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
ninjakid wrote:hi im new here can u share more cant wait to see more of this.. :)
What do you want to see more of? The game is already out, but if you want previews and reviews, you can find them here: http://goodmangames.com/5070preview.html
I suspect it is clever spam trying to get past the 3 post limit. "He" posted the same question after you responded.

Deleting.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I let it go the first time because I thought that perhaps the post was legit. It was kind of brief and poorly spelled, but I figured if it was SPAM he wouldn't get two more past me. :twisted:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”