Goodman Games
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/

Beyond Appendix N
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7601
Page 1 of 1

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Beyond Appendix N

Classical mythology was clearly an influence on D&D from the start.

And when I myself started playing, movies like Jason and the Argonauts and the Sinbad and Hercules movies were pretty much in the front of my brain as examples of what was going on in these games.

Books from the DMG's Appendix N have been named as the thematic inspiration for the DCC RPG -- but what of other venerable sources such as these...?

Author:  smathis [ Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

The first dungeon adventure I ever created was essentially Theseus and the Minotaur.

I don't know if those myths were a direct influence on Gygax and Arneson or not. But they were for me.

Author:  mythfish [ Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

smathis wrote:
The first dungeon adventure I ever created was essentially Theseus and the Minotaur.

I don't know if those myths were a direct influence on Gygax and Arneson or not. But they were for me.

One of the first D&D characters I ever creted was named Theseus. :)

Author:  mshensley [ Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

I've read that comics of the era were pretty influential.

Author:  finarvyn [ Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

smathis wrote:
The first dungeon adventure I ever created was essentially Theseus and the Minotaur.

I don't know if those myths were a direct influence on Gygax and Arneson or not. But they were for me.
They pretty much had to be, either by intent or subconsiously. Greek mythology in particular seems to be very common, Norse and Egyptian mythologies pretty popular as well. The fact that Gods, Demigids & Heroes was published so early in the D&D game suggests that this stuff was pretty popular among the early crew.

Author:  geordie racer [ Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

If I could digress from Classic Mythology:

European folktales were sourced for a few magic items for OD&D

Other sources written about by Robert Kuntz:

Movie Time at Gary's House

Dave Arneson's love affair with Japanese monster movies

- Dragon Turtle !

Author:  Harley Stroh [ Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

I always wondered why a dragon turtle had so many flippin' hit point.

See in that context, it makes sense.

//H

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

The Holmes edited rulebook has as monsters: Basilisk, Chimera, Cockatrice, Djinni, Griffon, Harpy, Hydra, Minotaur, Pegasi, Unicorn.*

Do any such as these appear in the DCC RPG...? Or does it make even more of a break from "D&D" and emphasize more original monsters...?



* It also has a number of "Giant" pests -- which seem likely to have been influenced by 1950's science fiction movies (THEM, et. al.).

Author:  goodmangames [ Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

GnomeBoy wrote:
The Holmes edited rulebook has as monsters: Basilisk, Chimera, Cockatrice, Djinni, Griffon, Harpy, Hydra, Minotaur, Pegasi, Unicorn.*

Do any such as these appear in the DCC RPG...? Or does it make even more of a break from "D&D" and emphasize more original monsters...?


You've gotta have the classics! The core book will have stats for the classic monsters, as well as fun variations.

Author:  DCCfan [ Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

goodmangames wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
The Holmes edited rulebook has as monsters: Basilisk, Chimera, Cockatrice, Djinni, Griffon, Harpy, Hydra, Minotaur, Pegasi, Unicorn.*

Do any such as these appear in the DCC RPG...? Or does it make even more of a break from "D&D" and emphasize more original monsters...?


You've gotta have the classics! The core book will have stats for the classic monsters, as well as fun variations.


Glad to hear it! I love the Hydra. What a great monster.

Author:  Machpants [ Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

I wish I could remember where I saw it but I went to a webpage showing how comic classic images where some of the art, but maybe more the artist than the designers... and maybe not ODnD rather ADnD.

Author:  goodmangames [ Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

Tavis Allison covered this in his blog recently - this may be what you're thinking of:

http://muleabides.wordpress.com/2011/01 ... t-monster/

Author:  Machpants [ Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Beyond Appendix N

^that's the fulla!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/