Multi-classing in DCC RPG?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Multi-classing in DCC RPG?

Post by smathis »

Hamakto wrote:
Machpants wrote:Having looked through this thread I am on board with the idea of 'alternate class features' ala PfRPG. But, to be honest, I think in the core book you shouldn't bother it should be something for a supplement or 3PP.
The problem with this is that one DM's idea of a good hybrid class (i.e Wizard/Thief) is not the same as a second DM's. If we can get a standard multi-class ruleset working, this will eliminate the need to either carrying around supplemental class books and/or the inability to easily jump groups.
I agree with Machpants (and have mentioned before) that something like this probably doesn't need to be in the core book. It would be nice as a sidebar of "if you want to do something like this..." but I think it might be too much.

But I disagree about one DM's idea of a good hybrid class not being the same as another. If the classes are simple enough, it's really a no-brainer. There's very little to argue over in regards to making a hybrid Fighter/Thief or Thief/Wizard in LotFP. One could grouse over the XP progression, I suppose. But the math is so obvious and the other classes are so much in line with an explicit philosophy that each class suggests how it could be "hybridized" in itself.

And I think that's about the level of complexity of the classes we're talking about with DCC. I don't think it's like C&C or 3e where the class abilities muck things up so much that it becomes a high-wire act. I also don't think it's coincidental that it took TLG four editions to come out with multi-classing rules.

The more complex the classes, the harder any of this is. If the classes remain simple core archetypes, this is all much easier.

If the classes try to mush in all this flavor stuff via class abilities that are difficult to math out in terms of "class balance", this won't work. But multi-classing won't either. It's hard to say where DCC stands on all this until we can play it and read the rules.

I'm hoping that the classes are more in line with B/X and OD&D than 3e and C&C.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

So, any more ideas?
What do you mean no?
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I've never been a fan of multiclassing. It makes things messy, and kind-of promotes character optimizing, which in turn leads to power-gaming, which leads to Evil. Want a Sword Mage? Copy the Elf. Want a Fighter-thief? Re-skin the Halfling. ACK has some neat ideas for new classes (in their attempt to solve the race/class thing.) Everything else is just role-playing.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

ACK?
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

jeff wrote:ACK?
Sorry, ACKS; Adventurer Conqueror King System. But here's the specific article:

http://www.autarch.co/2011/07/races-as- ... el-limits/
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “DCC RPG General”