a request regarding the dice

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

a request regarding the dice

Post by Geoffrey »

Using all the non-standard dice in the DCC RPG is a very cool idea. Assuming that a full set of such dice is made available by Goodman, please have the dice be:

1. opaque
2. inked
3. solid colors (as opposed to fancy, swirled, speckled, glittery, etc.)

Why? Because such dice are the easiest to read. Translucent dice sure are pretty, but they are not so easy to read. Fancy-smancy dice are also not so easy to read. My set of dice, for example, is orange with black ink--VERY easy to read.

:)
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: a request regarding the dice

Post by GnomeBoy »

As my eyes get older along with the rest of me, I find myself agreeing with your words.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

another vote for old school.

heck dont ink 'em and include a crayon in the boxed set like the old days. ;)
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Geoffrey wrote:please have the dice be:
1. opaque
2. inked
I pretty much agree here. Opaque dice are so much easier to read. I'm sure we'll be limited to what Gamescience manufactures, however.
Sunderstone wrote:heck dont ink 'em and include a crayon in the boxed set like the old days. ;)
Well ... I've got quite a few of those older dice already. (Even got more of 'em with the C&C speical boxed set) and in general I'd rather have newfangled ones over cheap soft plastic.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

finarvyn wrote:Well ... I've got quite a few of those older dice already. (Even got more of 'em with the C&C speical boxed set) and in general I'd rather have newfangled ones over cheap soft plastic.
As an aside unrelated to DCC dice, at work we got in a copy of the old Star Frontiers boxed set (I work in a used bookstore). The dice were still in the box, uncolored, and the crayon was still there too!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

mythfish wrote: As an aside unrelated to DCC dice, at work we got in a copy of the old Star Frontiers boxed set (I work in a used bookstore). The dice were still in the box, uncolored, and the crayon was still there too!
!!! That is so sexy.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I've got a jar on my shelf that contains my old poly dice from OD&D. (They didn't actually come in the set, but they were sold by TSR back "in the day".) They're cheap plastic and I love 'em! Yellow d4, orange d6, green d8, blue d12, white d20. I also have some of the pink and white d20's that came in some early TSR games, but I no longer know which dice came from which game.

This all came before the "matching dice with crayon" days. Back then, we inked dice with black sharpie markers. (And red for the d20's since they were numbered 0-9 twice and you needed red to indicate the 11-20 numbers.)

Those were the days! :P

I bought a bunch of cheap plastic gamescience dice a couple of years ago, but the colors just weren't the same. Someday I hope to find some hard plastic dice of the right colors so that I can buy some new sets in the same mis-matched color scheme from the old days.

Yes, I am a dice geek! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
brogan_a
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by brogan_a »

As an old gamer myself I have a lot of dice, but what is the point of even having a d5, d7, or d24? Aren't the 6 types normally used enough to have? What would you use the new ones for?

- Andy
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

brogan_a wrote:As an old gamer myself I have a lot of dice, but what is the point of even having a d5, d7, or d24? Aren't the 6 types normally used enough to have? What would you use the new ones for?
Simple:
1. Joesph likes 'em.
2. Joseph wants to use 'em.
3. Joseph intends to design the DCC rpg so that we all get to use 'em.
4. Therefore, I must own 'em.

:D :D :D

Seriously, it appears that the new rpg will mostly make use of the traditional poly dice, but that some elements of the game will be designed to use some of the funky shapes. It's easy enough to work around not having the unusual dice, but sounds like a lot of fun to have them.

And who can't add more dice to their collection?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

finarvyn wrote:And who can't add more dice to their collection?
That's pretty much it. I like dice! All gamers like dice. Most of us have dice collections worth $100 or more. We don't think about it, because we've collected them "here and there" over the years rather than all at once.

There was a time, many years ago, when polyhedrons were neat and novel and very cool. Now, three decades later, they're "normal." But remember the magic when you first picked up a d4 and didn't know how to read it? Unlike every other die, you have to look at the numbers near the point of the pyramid, not on the center of the face! There's no other die like that. It was like a secret language between you and your friends -- your mom and "those other kids" couldn't read that d4, no sir!

Now go figure out how to read a d5 or a d7. :)

It's just fun, that's all. Sure, some of the new dice will cost you a couple bucks. You would have spent that on additional d20's over the coming year anyway. Now you get an even cooler dice collection.

Check out this guy's dice collection -- it's awesome:

http://www.dicecollector.com/JM/
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Geoffrey wrote:Using all the non-standard dice in the DCC RPG is a very cool idea. Assuming that a full set of such dice is made available by Goodman, please have the dice be:

1. opaque
2. inked

Why? Because such dice are the easiest to read. Translucent dice sure are pretty, but they are not so easy to read. Fancy-smancy dice are also not so easy to read. My set of dice, for example, is orange with black ink--VERY easy to read.

:)
I used to game with a guy who had a pound of black number on yellow dice. He swore by them. He would often cross his arms and roll his eyes when someone would toss a fancy-smancy die. :lol:
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
jeffb
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jeffb »

finarvyn wrote:I've got a jar on my shelf that contains my old poly dice from OD&D. (They didn't actually come in the set, but they were sold by TSR back "in the day".) They're cheap plastic and I love 'em! Yellow d4, orange d6, green d8, blue d12, white d20. I also have some of the pink and white d20's that came in some early TSR games, but I no longer know which dice came from which game.
Hey Fin- I had (still have?) some of those too.

The multi-color set came in a Holmes boxed set I bought in shrinkwrap a few years back, but I distinctly remember them coming with the original Gamma World sets- When I got my GW set as a kid, I was amazed at the "cheapness" of those dice- that D4 was THE worst caltrop ever produced. I've drawn blood grabbing it haphazardly when new and unworn-serious!

The Pink & White percentiles came in my Top Secret boxed set, and were worn down to globes in short order! :lol:
"Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to have to deal with a heap o' rules and the steaming heap o' rules lawyers who go with them." Gary Gygax
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

My old crayon dice came from the red box (light blue) and the Marvel box (light blue and red). Over the years I lost the blue d10 from the Marvel set and the d20 from the red box cracked in half. My brother was bouncing it off of the back wall vegas style when it split. The last gencon I went to had a giant d20 tribute to Gary after he died. Drop your dice in and say a few words to the creator and then on Sunday it was auctioned off. I can't quite remember but maybe you won it and all the dice inside in a drawing. Anyway I dropped the rest of them in the giant d20. I also remember turning in a copy of my favorite basic D&D character to another Gary tribute to the creator event too.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I also remember a kid that had a d20 like the one Fin described earlier. He had painted the 1-0 silver and the 11-0 gold. He was the coolest kid at the table. We all wanted a d20 like his.
Last edited by DCCfan on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Those are pretty cool! I have the same basic issue with those as I do with my Cthulhu dice (kind of busy) so I wouldn't probably use them in play, but I wouldn't mind owning a set. :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Oh, and basically this is what my first dice sets looked like, except that I didn't have a pink d20 until a lot later....
I'd love to re-create this color scheme, only with modern "high impact" dice. (Or, those "porcelain" dice that were out for a while. Wish I'd bought a bunch of those.)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Roman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Roman »

finarvyn wrote:Oh, and basically this is what my first dice sets looked like
<snip>

Wow ... that takes me back. I used to have a ton of those well-worn dice, but I gave them all away to a friend's daughter who was fascinated with my pretty dice.
"Plot does not define story. Plot is the framework within which ideas are explored and personalities and relationships are unfolded."
~ Warren Ellis

I get teens into gaming - professionally.
Dragons in the Stacks: A Teen Librarian's Guide to Tabletop Role-Playing

Explore Science Fiction:
Read On ... Science Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Wow, I remember those dice.

One day I left the yellow d4 on the stairs and my father stepped on it. It was a little caltrop, to be sure.
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
jeffb
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jeffb »

finarvyn wrote:Oh, and basically this is what my first dice sets looked like, except that I didn't have a pink d20 until a lot later....
I'd love to re-create this color scheme, only with modern "high impact" dice. (Or, those "porcelain" dice that were out for a while. Wish I'd bought a bunch of those.)

Thats them- yellow D4 :shudder:
"Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to have to deal with a heap o' rules and the steaming heap o' rules lawyers who go with them." Gary Gygax
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

If there is going to be a DCC RPG Dice Set produced, I'd speculate that there is a 3-in-6 chance that the colors will resemble the die colors in that image...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:If there is going to be a DCC RPG Dice Set produced, I'd speculate that there is a 3-in-6 chance that the colors will resemble the die colors in that image...
:lol:

I'd love to see it, but nowadays most dice sets are matching. My guess is that we'd get some sort of single, basic color instead of an eclectic rainbow of dice goodness!
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

We'll see if Mr. G's dice come up a 6 or not... :mrgreen:

Return to “DCC RPG General”