The DCC RPG and Spellslinging

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: The DCC RPG and Spellslinging

Post by geordie racer »

smathis wrote:Rituals would be things that got found, researched and handed out as potential treasure.
Yes, I definitely think that Rituals are not something you receive by just being a certain level, you have to actively discover or research them - in Conan you're really not a sorcerer of great significance until you've studied the Scrolls of Skelos. The search for a ritual (e.g to heal the mage-cursed King before war descends on the land) can be a quest in itself.
Sean Wills
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

That is pretty cool, although I would tweak a lot of things (like summoning a god should require a hell of a lot more sacrifices and ritual participants) but the idea is sure sound.

I do not like this part though "Cleric is going to choose Cure Light Wounds" :evil:

@Geordie, yeah in that way 4E got it right. Love your avatar, haven't seen that guy since I was a kid!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Machpants wrote:That is pretty cool, although I would tweak a lot of things (like summoning a god should require a hell of a lot more sacrifices and ritual participants) but the idea is sure sound.

I do not like this part though "Cleric is going to choose Cure Light Wounds" :evil:
Thanks. I agree tweaking would be in order. As for the "Cleric" bit, I hope the gist of it wasn't lost. As a comparison, one might say that a Magic-User is going to choose "Charm Person" over some Hedge Wizard's "Love Spell" ritual 99.9% of the time.

I think the contrast of the hoops the "mundanes" have to jump through to get any sort of effect versus the sheer power that Magic-Users have at their disposal would emphasize how powerful and magical those MUs, Elves and Clerics are. That's one of the reasons I like rituals and low-magic options being around.

Thief: "Look, I can do this 10-minute ritual that makes this specific kind of rock smaller than the size of my hand glow with low light for a few minutes. Sure, I'm a little winded. I could use a nap, really. But, hey, it's cool right? I picked it up from a Hedge Mage..."

Magic-User: "Hmm. Interesting. A little dimmer than a candle. Check this out... LIGHT!"
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Oh yeah I get you, your basic premise is great, and I hope the way DCC is going. But I don't want to see CLW 'cos that is DnD (with all the attendant 15min adventruing day type stuff) but not Appendix N. As I said on the healing thread, I would like to see recovery of 'HP' easily but healing of actual injury hard, as in healing should be a ritual, even if a 10 minute one.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Fabio.MilitoPagliara
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Fabio.MilitoPagliara »

on healing and spellsinging

one way could be the following: healing spell are dangerous for the receiver

e.g.: each healing you get in a day raise the possibility of chaos infection or demonic possession or BAD THINGS to the healed

"my arm seem to have a will of its own since Brother Rodrick called down the Dark One will to heal it"
in D&D since 1984
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Machpants wrote:Oh yeah I get you, your basic premise is great, and I hope the way DCC is going. But I don't want to see CLW 'cos that is DnD (with all the attendant 15min adventruing day type stuff) but not Appendix N. As I said on the healing thread, I would like to see recovery of 'HP' easily but healing of actual injury hard, as in healing should be a ritual, even if a 10 minute one.
Ah. I get you. It will be interesting to see what Joseph takes from all this discussion. It's going to be hard to downplay the Cleric's role as a healer without coming up with something at least a little different for hit points.

Joseph's been quiet for a few days which hopefully means he busy testing things and working on DCC. Who knows what he has in mind?
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Fabio.MilitoPagliara wrote:on healing and spellsinging

one way could be the following: healing spell are dangerous for the receiver

e.g.: each healing you get in a day raise the possibility of chaos infection or demonic possession or BAD THINGS to the healed

"my arm seem to have a will of its own since Brother Rodrick called down the Dark One will to heal it"
That's a great idea. It would be nice to see something like that in the game.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Machpants wrote:@Geordie, yeah in that way 4E got it right. Love your avatar, haven't seen that guy since I was a kid!
My own Appendix N would definitely include the Noggin the Nog cartoon and books. :)
Sean Wills
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

LOL a worthy addition!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

smathis wrote:Joseph's been quiet for a few days which hopefully means he busy testing things and working on DCC. Who knows what he has in mind?
I can't keep up with all you guys and your great ideas! :)

Right now the spell system is moving along well without rituals as they're described here. But the way you're describing them, they should be relatively easy to integrate as a 3PP licensed product or as fan material.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”