Reading Appendix N

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Reading Appendix N

Post by JediOre »

I personally recommend Lord Dunsany. His writings have such a mythical feel to them. Of course, Andre Norton's material is also indispensable as well.

So my top suggestions are:

1) anything by Lord Dunsany,

2) the writings of Andre Norton pre-1980.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

goodmangames wrote:And a belated update with a few more. I am partway through a stack of short-story books at the moment so the next update will be when they're all finally finished. In the meantime, crossed another few off the list...

Just read this one about a month ago. It was fun. The new Neal Stephenson book has me distracted from Appendix N, stuff, but I have the "at worlds end" series and the L. Sprague "roman time travel" book queued up. (don't have the book in front of me, so I can't remember the name... ). I found another book by him called the Black Colossus of Rhodes, which is more historical fiction, but looks pretty interesting, too. So, I'll throw that one in.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

goodmangames wrote:Finished up the Amber series and the first three Mars books by Burroughs. Amber was great, but Burroughs was better. WOW! Talk about action-adventure. And probably the first published use of the word "fighting-man," way back in 1912. Now I understand where the fighter came from!

The Mars books have always been a favorite (and even moreso, the Tarzan books). What amazes me about the Mars books (and makes the 13 year old in me giggle a bit) is that everyone is essentially nekkid... :)
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Also, another series that's not Appendix N, is the Demon King / Warrior King / Seer King series by Chris Bunch. It wasn't a great series, but very readable and has a pretty cool "patron magic" system that fits right in.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

ragboy wrote: is that everyone is essentially nekkid... :)
I have a feeling they'll be changing that for the movie... :)
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

Return to “DCC RPG General”