High level (6-10) DCC play

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

VladtheLad
Ill-Fated Peasant

High level (6-10) DCC play

Post by VladtheLad »

So DCC was initially designed to go up to 5th level, the last 5 levels were added later. Understandable since 5th level in dcc is pretty insane.
I haven't had much experience with higher level, but do you think it needs some changes, exta content or sth? I remember reading a post by Goodman himself that mused on them revisiting these levels after they got some more feedback on the game.

For example I think mighty deeds were clearly conceived for a 5 level game hence ending at d7 at level 5 and having levels from 3 to 7 as examples. Could there be higher level deeds? 8 up to 14 which is the maximum a 10 level fighter can go for?
I can see the same issue with thieves since at level 10 they could hit much higher dc's than 20 (though I guess that's true even at level 1).
For the wizard the only issue I see is the lack of higher level patron spells, though spells are few in general after spell level 3.

I guess my real question is now that dcc has been out for quite some time, is there a chance goodman games revisits the 6th-10th level range?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: High level (6-10) DCC play

Post by GnomeBoy »

I don't think there's a way to get a definitive answer, until they announce a definitive answer, beyond the fact that they've published a few adventures for levels above 5. If those sell as well as any others, I"m sure there will be more.

There have also been stories from folks running games at higher levels (the so-called "10th Level Funnel" springs to mind) and I haven't seen any of these stories saying "the game just doesn't work at this level"... They comment about how crazy it is, but in a positive light, i.e., they had fun.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

I think it would be cool to see some of the, whats it called, the domain aspects of high level old school d&d? Building forts/castles/towers and whatnot, ruling over some land, taking part in bigger regional stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

BanjoJohn wrote:I think it would be cool to see some of the, whats it called, the domain aspects of high level old school d&d? Building forts/castles/towers and whatnot, ruling over some land, taking part in bigger regional stuff.
There might be stuff like that in the Annual... I can't recall.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
VladtheLad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by VladtheLad »

BanjoJohn wrote:I think it would be cool to see some of the, whats it called, the domain aspects of high level old school d&d? Building forts/castles/towers and whatnot, ruling over some land, taking part in bigger regional stuff.
It may actually have been, that that's the post I read about high level play.

I especially like adventurer conqueror king that's rewards you with xp if you run you kingdom/wizard tower/temple/thiefs guild well. I am pretty sure you could steal the system from ack and make it fit dcc. Sth like treat your players as double level for akc purposes and change the xp awards.
AngelKiss
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Cat & Mouse Games
https://cookingtimejournal.com/

Post by AngelKiss »

VladtheLad wrote:do you think it needs some changes, exta content or sth?
It definitely needs extra content, I always get bored past level 5

Return to “DCC RPG General”